Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mini cannons and the law

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    Curiosity or ornament so you can shoot it infrequently, no more than once or twice a year.

Hassle is, it's a pistol so Home Office approved ranges only.

After much searching I found a toy cannon with 24" from muzzle to point of ignition. Had to import it from Germany but worth the effort because it is a shotgun and the law is a lot less restrictive.
    If being held as a curiosity or ornament they cannot be shot at all, unless the relevant FAC/SGC applies if I have read the guidance right. As soon as you show any intent to fire them they become subject to all the relevant firearms controls.

Keeping them on the mantelpiece as a collectors piece is ok but then to get some powder and load it they become a firearm. Unless I've missed something on the guidance.

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by davederrick View Post
    Helpful post, thanks. 1899 was the thing I was thinking of. Thats how I got my Martini Henry out of the US, exported without restrictions as prior to 1899, imported without restrictions as obsolete calibre. Cool.
    Yes! Date controls in the US: obsoleteness of caliber controls in the UK (for cartridge guns).

If your Martini Henry rifle were made in 1899 or later, it would have been readily importable into the UK: but NOT readily exportable from the US.

The US laws aren't-always more lenient than the UK's.
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone