Thread: Cast iron pistol I.D.

edbear2 Guest

Cast iron pistol I.D.

"Cast iron pistol approx 10" O/a, barrel 6.5" . Described as bolt action similar to Franklin. Calibre approx. .17 . Has Brevet sgdg on one side and patent on the other."

Any ideas please, pics possibly to follow

(not mine so only have this info at the mo').

ATB, ED

Could be a Dare Devil Dinkum, Eddie. Lovely little pistols.

Regards,
    John

Ed has very kindly posted this on my behalf as Photobucket won't believe that I'm human ( and after Mum had me tested, too! ). It's something I've a chance of buying so a valuation wouldn't come amiss but it would really help to know exactly what it is in the first place.

Sincere thanks, Ed.
    ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

edbear2 Guest
    Hi Mick, get some pics to my email, and we will get more info I am sure

ATB, ED

Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

I saw one like that at ProteK supplies about a year ago it was in an old wooden box with a cocking handle/pellet sizer and it sold almost immediately for about £240
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    Yep. That's the one! But we're no wiser are we?

ATVB, Mick

I live just off the M27 outside Southampton.

Cast Iron Pistol

John Griffiths book page76, Eisenwerk Gaggenau MF. Mine is painted black and not nickel, guess it is the same or a contemporary copy. I do not have the cocking tool and had one made by a friend.
    Regards Pete

edbear2 Guest
    Bit late, but photo here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3122848...ream/lightbox/

As usual it seems the pistol experts on here have already sorted it in double quick time

ATB, Ed

John has already hit the nail on the head, it is a 'Dare Devil Dinkum', possibly produced in Belgium 1890 - 1910. I believe the word 'Brevet' is French for 'Patent'.
    ATB
    Eric

NB.

Listed under Eissenwerke Gaggenau.

FLUERSCHEIM
    .- several calibers including .181 cal., smooth bore for darts, SP, mainspring in grip, barrel and grip of gray cast iron, outer parts nickel plated, deeper parts of raised floral patterns and checkering painted black, separate cocking device has two small hooks which grip protruding piston shaft knob during cocking, two prongs at other end of this tool serve as a spanner wrench for removing mainspring retainer ring, later version of the pistol has large T-shaped handle at the end of the piston shaft to allow cocking without a separate tool, fitted wooden cases. Mfg. circa 1881- early 1900s
    Last edited by Herpquest; 06-05-2013 at 04:03 PM. Reason: addition
    Demic, miserable, grumpy old git! Feinwerkbau Sport Appreciation Society.
    I don't mind what sexual, religious or political persuasion you are, just don't impose them on me!!

A little further info which may come in useful in the future - the letters PATENT sgdg stand for Patente sans guarante de government which translates to Patented but without any government guarantee. I suspected it would be patent applied for but apparently it's a step further along the way to respectability.

Thanks to all for their input. I love getting to the bottom of a mystery.

ATVB, Mick

The elegant Martin Flurscheim MF pistol is a personal favorite. Design seen earlier from Havilland and Gunn . Eisenwerke Gaggenau German manufacture 1880- ca. 1900 and also made in Belgium. Cheekily stamped 'Brevet' to imply quality (sans guarantee= no patent). Later examples made/advertised to ca. 1920 prob Belgian origin are stamped 'Patent' and 'Webster's Dare Devil Dinkum' for sale in Britain. Plain slab-sides- no foliate casting as per home market taste. Anyone here seen or know of one with the crossed pistol EG stamping denoting German manufacture? Also, which factory/factories in Belgium produced these?
    Last edited by Epicyclic; 06-05-2013 at 11:46 PM. Reason: addition