Thread: experience of proof house?

Lightbulb experience of proof house?

Hi, does anyone have any experience of getting things proofed at the proof house? I am specifically asking about the BP nitro conversions. I have heard that people seem to be using them with the shotgun primer conversion nipples and a small load of nitro. I haven't seen one and no one seems to know if these guns have been re- proofed for nitro at the proof house, so:
    1. can it be done retroactively? (Alan Westlake's purpose built muzzle loaders state the amount & make of nitro on the gun, so would the BLACK POWDER ONLY engraving have to be removed?)
    2. is it safe?
    3. is it legal?
    I am asking this as a theoretical query but if some one has had it done I would love to hear from you about it. The NRA bible states that muzzle loaders can only be shot with nitro if they are marked proof for nitro, but do they mean the purpose built ones?

sorry that is quite a few questions, but they kept occuring to me as I typed!

Nitro

Hi mate,

Give the guys at the London or Birmingham based proof house a call for advice.... while I've no doubt it will need re-proofing, they will have loads of good advice about the technicalities.

I went to the London proof house to proof a Brown Bess before using it again on the ranges - after all, it had spent the last 200 years in an Nepalese Palace store room!.

They were superbly friendly and helpful (see http://britishmilitariaforums.yuku.c...5#.UaTq2JywXhY details).

Hi

Well according to the London proof house.

You take your gun down to them with the required load that you wish to use in your gun.

They test it and if it passes they stamp the gun with the new proof mark.

price for a BP pistol is:

£30.00 + Vat 7-10 day turnaround

£45.00 + Vat same day service

atb Paul

cheers guys, will be making tracks for the proof house!!