Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Armscor Muzzle Loading Revolver

Armscor Muzzle Loading Revolver

Having just been to the Phoenix and seen Alan Westlakes offerings I am quite taken with one of his Armscor muzzle loading revolvers. I already have a Remington 1858 BP revolver and fancy something a little, er, cleaner!

At this stage I'm just after any feedback anyone can give as I have a lot of saving to do! Also any pitfalls or peculiarities with a muzzle loading nitro revolver that may not be apparent from having used a BP model.

Any input gratefully received.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

I am looking to buy one of Alan's MLR's but there's a bit of a waiting list so I'm told

I have one. For the money its a cracking little 38 and in my opinion about as close as your going to get to a proper revolver in the UK. Be under no illusions though its still a muzzle
    loader and has to be loaded as such. I still have to pre measure my powder into little phials and press the bullet into the cylinder from the front the same as my b/p revolvers.
    However, with a bit of practise loading is a doddle and although 3 grns of Herco doesnt sound much it still enough to give the hand a bit of a bashing.
    The bullets i got with mine were a right pain to load so i switched to a different design of the same weight and found they shoot just as well but the bevel on the base makes loading
    much easier. Also the cylinder release pin was a bit sticky to start with so i stripped it down, de burred and greased the bits that moved, now quite slick and getting better with use.
    Is it worth the money,? Yes.
    Would i recommend one to a mate,? Yes.
    Am i glad i got mine, ? Yes.
    Do your shooting mates want to shoot it,? Yes.

Go for it, they are rare enough to sell on if you dont get on with it but for the money i recon they are good value. Tim.

Thanks for the reply Tim - I have a few questions though if you could indulge!

Do you have to use the Herco powder or can you use 38 Spl / .357 Mag reloading data? I'm currently using, and have quite a stock of Unique for pistol calibre reloading.

I see you mention using a different bullet, so not a wadcutter I'm guessing, is it be possible to use for instance the same bullets I'm using to reload for my Winchester rifle - 158Gr lead truncated cone?

Do you have the target model with the stainless barrel or the standard factory barreled one?

Possibly noob questions but everyone starts at the bottom.
    Buckle

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Thanks for the reply Tim - I have a few questions though if you could indulge!

Do you have to use the Herco powder or can you use 38 Spl / .357 Mag reloading data? I'm currently using, and have quite a stock of Unique for pistol calibre reloading.

I see you mention using a different bullet, so not a wadcutter I'm guessing, is it be possible to use for instance the same bullets I'm using to reload for my Winchester rifle - 158Gr lead truncated cone?

Do you have the target model with the stainless barrel or the standard factory barreled one?

Possibly noob questions but everyone starts at the bottom.
    Great questions I'd like to know the answers too

i have one and its great got the std barrel and its great fun to shoot

As per Webtree, mine is also the std model. Its basically a fun gun so for me i couldn't see the point in paying extra for a
    comp barrel. Alan Westlake recommended Herco powder so thats what i got when i bought the gun and at 3grns a shot its
    going to last for ages. I dont know if other powders such as Unique are suitable for this gun, personally i will be sticking to
    the Herco and wouldnt attempt to use another powder without proper loading data specifically for this gun.
    The bullet heads that came with the gun were pure lead wad cutters and although they shot ok they were an absolute nightmare
    to load. I cast my own 158 grn truncated heads for my .357 Taurus which were the same dia, length and weight so i cast some
    using pure lead and they work a treat. Much easier to load due to the slight beval on the base and just as accurate as the
    originals. These are cast from pure soft lead, sized and tumble lubed with alox though, not hard cast like you buy for your rifle.
    As said, this is a fun gun for me which i bought instead of having one of my ROA,s converted to nitro and so far im getting on
    well with it even if i cant hit the proverbial barn door with it. One of my shooting mates who tried it put 6 shots in the black
    straight away so its down to me to get some practise in. Dont you just hate it when your mates shoot your guns better than
    you can yourself.!! (Mind you, he is a bloody good pistol shot.)
    I know Alan Westlake had one available but i would be quick if you want one, he wont have it for long. Tim

Ps, What loads are you using in your converted b/p revolvers mat BRC.

I bought a converted Westlake as soon as the pistols went, it is a great gun have hardly shot it really, this one is not an Amscor but a ruger old army so single action only. I shoot the same swaged 148gr HBWC I used to on top of 2.8 Viht N310. I had hoped lot of people would do the same but unfortunately not. Loading is not a problem, nice little press from Alan with the gun to make it easy, never had a misfire in all these years but as I said don’t use it a lot. Bottom of the link page shows some pics of the gun.
    Jim Wilson

https://sites.google.com/site/taysid...tition-results

Very nice mate! I am looking forward to getting my mitts on one!

Quote Originally Posted by jock308 View Post
    I bought a converted Westlake as soon as the pistols went, it is a great gun have hardly shot it really, this one is not an Amscor but a ruger old army so single action only. I shoot the same swaged 148gr HBWC I used to on top of 2.8 Viht N310. I had hoped lot of people would do the same but unfortunately not. Loading is not a problem, nice little press from Alan with the gun to make it easy, never had a misfire in all these years but as I said don’t use it a lot. Bottom of the link page shows some pics of the gun.
    Jim Wilson

https://sites.google.com/site/taysid...tition-results
    That's a fantastic looking pistol - is / was it a Remington 1858? I only ask as I have a Pietta one and wondered what grips you had on it as they don't look standard.

I think I am going to be contacting Mr Westlake soon!
    Buckle

Think I'm about 3 months into the waiting list on one of these, have the variation and everything

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    That's a fantastic looking pistol - is / was it a Remington 1858? I only ask as I have a Pietta one and wondered what grips you had on it as they don't look standard.

I think I am going to be contacting Mr Westlake soon!
    Yes it was a remington not a ruger pistol, sorry. The grips are adapted pachmyer grippers that I still had. I can send more pics by email but I would probably go for double action now.

cheers

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
    Think I'm about 3 months into the waiting list on one of these, have the variation and everything
    Ditto I've got a slot for a spare cylinder too

Quote Originally Posted by dannywayoflife View Post
    Ditto I've got a slot for a spare cylinder too
    Good lad!

Mine arrived yesterday and gave it the first rub out today. One problem I have is trying to source soft lead bullets, none of the shops local to me seems to stock them. Any recommendations for stockists?
    "Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."