Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yukon photon 5x42

Yukon photon 5x42

Right, I was one of the lucky ones who received one of these through the post last week. Having acquainted myself with the knobs and buttons on the unit, I mounted it on top of my Weihrauch .22 Hornet and set off up the farm to zero it. After just a couple of shots, the rifle was bang on and I was off to test the scopes' abilities in the daylight ( bright sunshine). Within 20 mins I'd taken a couple of bunnies with the new set-up; one at 68 yards, the other at 87 yards. Both were head shot and both were very easy to see through the scope, even though they were in a field full of knee high buttercups. The rabbits just look black against a snowy background. I then spent about 2 hours just looking at different objects (mainly horses and rabbits) and familiarizing myself with the unit. There are very few controls, thankfully! One dial which you use to switch the unit on and alter the brightness, one for the illuminated reticle and a button on the back of the onboard IR.
    You adjust the focus on the cross hairs/ reticle just like on a normal scope. You can focus the unit using a large rubberised grip on the front-end of the unit. Pretty easy to set up.

Over the course of the next week, I was able to try the unit out on several occasions, taking rabbits out to around 100 yards and foxes out to 150 yards. The only limitations I can see would be down to the 5x magnification of the scope. If I had the unit on my .243 ( I intend to try it next week) I don't think there'd be a problem taking foxes out to 200 yards and beyond. The picture is very clear. Of course, the evenings are very light at the moment and although I was shooting until 10.30pm ish, I had no need to switch on the onboard IR. All it did when I tried it was light up the quarry's eyes beautifully!

To summarise: The unit is very easy to use, no screens atop the unit, no leads or wires to get snagged. The eye relief is spot on. The scope can be used in daylight and at night without any major dramas that I could see. I appreciate that it may not be for everybody but, for £400, it does what it says on the tin and I am more than happy with mine, so happy that I've ordered another one.

Many thanks for the write up, - look forward to the follow up in a couple of weeks with no moon.
    It doesn't sound as though there are any negatives for my purposes (unless there's a mark 2 coming out!)
    Let us know how you get on with it on the .243,
    cheers, Tedward.

A good write up.
    Out of interest, how close will it focus in - say if someone wanted one for close range ratting, would it be suitable?

Quote Originally Posted by Shedder View Post
    A good write up.
    Out of interest, how close will it focus in - say if someone wanted one for close range ratting, would it be suitable?
    It'll focus right down to less than 10 feet easily

Thumbs down

Do you see any point adding additional ir to the unit for airgun ranges??

Cheers

Adam
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Quote Originally Posted by woodmister View Post
    Do you see any point adding additional ir to the unit for airgun ranges??

Cheers

Adam
    Absolutely not, Adam. I think this would be fine for rimfire ranges as well. I can't say how it'll perform at distance ( 100yds +) when it's really dark as it just isn't getting that dark here at the moment. I have shot foxes at 150 yards and rabbits up to 100 yards. Only limiting factor so far is the 5x mag rather than the picture through the scope! I've ordered another one to put on my air rifle!

yukon/photon

hello, well you must have got yours from the first batch sent by T/Js there are many waiting for one of these including myself, as you i dont think any user will be disapointed and i commend yukon for bringing n/v to many more shooters at a reasonable cost.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboyshooter View Post
    hello, well you must have got yours from the first batch sent by T/Js there are many waiting for one of these including myself, as you i dont think any user will be disapointed and i commend yukon for bringing n/v to many more shooters at a reasonable cost.
    I was number 6 on the list! I just had a feeling that this unit was going to be worth having. I honestly can't fault it SO FAR!

Quote Originally Posted by Tedward View Post
    Many thanks for the write up, - look forward to the follow up in a couple of weeks with no moon.
    It doesn't sound as though there are any negatives for my purposes (unless there's a mark 2 coming out!)
    Let us know how you get on with it on the .243,
    cheers, Tedward.
    Just waiting for some 30mm rings to come through the post and I'll be fitting it to the Tikka ( hopefully, just in time for Mr. Farmer to be cutting his hay! )

Quote Originally Posted by RURALRIMFIRE View Post
    Just waiting for some 30mm rings to come through the post and I'll be fitting it to the Tikka ( hopefully, just in time for Mr. Farmer to be cutting his hay! )
    Will a weaver rail be fine to use ?
    Cloud cuckoo land.

Quote Originally Posted by giantmark View Post
    Will a weaver rail be fine to use ?
    Yes, I believe so

Quote Originally Posted by RURALRIMFIRE View Post
    Yes, I believe so
    Thanks, i`ve got one on order but may be August now
    Cloud cuckoo land.

I really hope these units are good in proper darkness, for £400 it represents good value. I was sat out last night till around midnight and it was still light enough not to need i/r on the x550 or n750 but i know full well on a normal dark night you need plenty of i/r with both.

Angry

How good is the picture to use in daytime?

Is it very grainy??

Atb Adam
    I wanna be the airgunbbs Model

Quote Originally Posted by woodmister View Post
    How good is the picture to use in daytime?

Is it very grainy??

Atb Adam
    Also ..how big is the dot..compared to rabbits head or eyeshine at say, 40yd and does it look nice and sharp ? please...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" -- Benjamin Franklin