Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

I am lead to believe that a certain well known member of this "Gentlemans" section of the BBS site got his bottom slapped by an admittedly excellent pistol shot using a "Wobbly" Premier. Apparently, the group size shot by this "member" using a Steyr PCP was larger in size than said expert pistol shot using a wobbly. Crap those old Webley pistols aren't they?

I am sure that our fellow member does not want any of us to raise this fact on a regular basis, but I actually have the target cards (liberated this evening from the club bin) in my possession to prove it. All those Steyrs are fit for is knocking in nails!

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Wobbly Webleys Forever

I have also seen those same cards - shown to me with a wobbly hand and a shaky voice by none other than IJ himself.

His face was a picture and the result declared a "freak" so I am looking to see similar result's repeated every month in the new seasons MPL - mainly just to annoy IJ.

Maybe you would like to scan them and display them here to further add to the embarrassment - or even persuade said "Wobbly Shooter" to enter the 6 yard series as I know for sure that really would cause a stir !

I took my Wobbly Tempest to RMTC last night for a few of us to have a go with, and it was good fun - but I think a little "tuning" may be required to get the best results from it...can anybody help with this by advising what to do to improve it?

Maybe our top "Wobbly Shooter" has some ideas?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Double the Pain - Please!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    I am lead to believe that a certain well known member of this "Gentlemans" section of the BBS site got his bottom slapped by an admittedly excellent pistol shot using a "Wobbly" Premier. Apparently, the group size shot by this "member" using a Steyr PCP was larger in size than said expert pistol shot using a wobbly. Crap those old Webley pistols aren't they?

I am sure that our fellow member does not want any of us to raise this fact on a regular basis, but I actually have the target cards (liberated this evening from the club bin) in my possession to prove it. All those Steyrs are fit for is knocking in nails!

Andy
    You should repeat this post in the Target Section too as you can then double the pain for our favourite Webley hater

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    can anybody help with this by advising what to do to improve it?
    Rip the barrel off the top (easily done ) as it fits into the dustbin better.

I take it the Wobbly shooter was non other that Paul 'Hippo' Wray! The man who could shame a Styer pistol owner using a Gat blind folded. Its n compliment to the 'Plumbers Nightmare Wobbly' hes just a brilliant pistol shot (the git! )

Now, a competition with someone more mortal (Zooma or Amac) , Webley v Steyr (etc.) and I am willing to shoot the later being the generous sporstman that I am. A small donation to charity being at stake, shall we say, by the looser?

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

As a mild supporter of I J s Webley pistol views can I suggest that Mr Wray shoots a card with the Premier and then one with the Steyr?

There will be a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    As a mild supporter of I J s Webley pistol views can I suggest that Mr Wray shoots a card with the Premier and then one with the Steyr?

There will be a difference.
    Thank you Mr GINGERNUT. A fellow man with taste.

Im sure 'Hippo' would go against his normal sportsman like ways and fix the competition to benefit the Wobbly just to prove me wrong.

Hippo is such a good shot I reckon he would do your Steyr using a 1971 Gat, and a cork.

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    got a Tempest that has been "tuned" (cough cough). This involved a strip down and lube,fitting a Typhoon mainspring, polishing the trigger and sear up and fitting a weaker trigger spring.
    If you want to have a slightly more serious go at one, go for the later,wider trigger (or a trigger shoe),maybe find a weaker mainsprig than the typhoon AND see if one of the engineers on here will modify the piston. Id get the boss taken off the head and get an O ring head made up as sure this would be more consistent than the Webley split ptfe ring set up.
    Airgunner .177 on here does Walnut grips and an unfinished set would let you sort out the finger grooves yourself. You could also leave out the safety catch as it serves no real purpose, although it it a very well designed one.
    Pm me if I can help at all. I think BIG TOE is the head modifier locally?
    Thanks for that - it would be good to see what a "mere mortal" can do with a well prepared .177 Tempest - don't let IJ know, but I do agree that the basic "out of the box" Tempest is a bit agricultural and think even the overly talented local super-shot would struggle a bit to repeat his superb score with my example.

.......however, I also like the feel of the Wobbly Tempest and would like to think that it has the potential to be a tad better after some attention has been lavished upon it. IJ probably thinks a couple of tons of topsoil would be the best thing to lavish upon it - but I was thinking along the lines of improving the trigger but had not thought about an "O" ring piston head or a softer spring.

Food for thought.

I must admit to my own Tempest, although it is a "proper" English version, in .22, is a touch on the agricultural side as you have alluded too Bob.

I freely admit to shooting my old Wobblys a lot more frequently than the Tempest, which incidentally has seen much service for pest control duties.

Paul is an annoyingly good shot. The scores for the Steyr versus Wobbly shoot would not be that far apart, honest! As for that Jones bloke, if we keep on talking about Wobblys, it is just a matter of time before he buys up all of the current stocks of classic Wobblys from various gun shops around the U.K. He will be turned eventually, just maybe not enough to actually buy one for himself. The unbeliever.

Andy

I must admit to my own Tempest, although it is a "proper" English version, in .22, is a touch on the agricultural side as you have alluded too Bob.

I freely admit to shooting my old Wobblys a lot more frequently than the Tempest, which incidentally has seen much service for pest control duties.

Paul is an annoyingly good shot. The scores for the Steyr versus Wobbly shoot would not be that far apart, honest! As for that Jones bloke, if we keep on talking about Wobblys, it is just a matter of time before he buys up all of the current stocks of classic Wobblys from various gun shops around the U.K. He will be turned eventually, just maybe not enough to actually buy one for himself. The unbeliever.

Andy
    My Tempest is getting on a bit - I bought it s/h some time ago - how can I tell if it is an English or Turkish made Wobbly?

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    Oh---I had a thought Make up a rearsight plate with a smaller cut out as the standard is a bit wide. An alternative would be to have a look at some other sights and see if they could be adapted. The thing is it would have to be quite "blocky" as if you were going for something bigger, you might as well use a Hurricane and find a sight for that. Part of the problem with the Tempest is the short sight line.
    I think in keeping in the spirit of things, that the rearsight should not be overly complex. Also, softer springs,wooden grips and a wider trigger or trigger shoe would be keeping in the spirit of things and I dont think anyone could really moan about an O ring head. look at it like this, once you have the head and a stash of O rings, you are in front money wise for the next 40+ years
    I would like to be able to look back in 40 years time to see the savings

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    My Tempest is getting on a bit - I bought it s/h some time ago - how can I tell if it is an English or Turkish made Wobbly?
    Cut it in half. If its a Turkish one it will Delight me! If its an English one - well, nothing lost.

Some Turkish ones have a small fez mark on the bottom of the trigger guard.
    In years to come these will command a premium price from collectors.

Mine has "Made in England" proudly printed on the bottom of the plastic housing surrounding the front cylinder assembly. Also a couple of "F" triangles.
    Andy

Mine has "Made in England" proudly printed on the bottom of the plastic housing surrounding the front cylinder assembly. Also a couple of "F" triangles.
    Andy
    Mine too !

.....also stamped WEBLEY TEMPEST on each side of the front cover so it was probably made after 1981 as the earlier ones were just stamped TEMPEST on both sides.