Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    But unfortunately not true.
    Plumbers nightmares with bendy barrels, fragile linkeages and double vision inducing recoil. Accuracy of a Gat. I must admit to a tinge of conscience when I dumped, I mean sold, them on.
    ......you have a conscience?
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

They are not all like that Ian. You are more than welcome to try one of mine tomorrow evening.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

I offerred Ian my Tempest to shoot with at the club tonight and he physically recoiled away from it as if he was afraid that it would cause him some serious harm

He did shoot my tinplate Diana Model 2 and spent some time with my Hammerli Single - but despite several attempts to persuade him he would not even touch the Tempest !

Good luck tomorrow night - but I think you will be lucky to get Ian to give the Wobbly a fair chance - I think he has already talked himself out of it !

Whatever ails Ian seems to have leapt across the pond and contaminated my club members. I brought my newly acquired, well worn but hard shooting (for what it is) Junior to the club last evening and pulled it out of my kit after shooting a half-dozen targets with my Pardini. Got a LOT of weird looks. I offered it around, hoping someone would be brave and take a shot or two. Nothing. Every shooter leaned backwards as I offered it, like it were a piece of luncheon meat with green-grey blotches on it or something similar. I'd never shot it at 10 metres before - just received it a week ago and rebuilt it with proper lubrication so it's new to me. The spring is in excellent condition, but being a .177" Junior it's shooting around 245fps. There's a very noticeable interval between the bang of the piston and the impact on the trap plate. As there's no vertical sight adjustment (it's an early 1950's model) I soon found that aiming at the top edge of the target paper resulted in a hit on the black. That's about all I could hope for. Have to work on that, try to learn to keep all the shots at least in the black at 10 metres.

Perhaps if that's manageable the rest of the formal 10 metre AP shooters at the club won't be so stand-offish about it. But I doubt it. Too much of a toy in their eyes. One said it looked like a flare gun. Oh well. More shooting for me if no one else wants a try. Their loss. When I went back to my K10 for one last target before calling it a night I shot a 93 with 5 hits on the 10. Not my best target this week (managed a 97 two days ago at home) but my best for the night. And it was obvious I owed it to the harsh reminders of trigger smoothness and sight picture maintenance brought into crisp focus by shooting a dozen shots with the Webley. After that, shooting an Olympic class PCP felt easier than usual. I shoot the Tempest quite regularly at home for that very reason. A .22" Tempest kicks like a mule. A dozen or two shots through that and then back to formal practice and I feel like I'm bathed in luxury, like the Pardini is almost too easy to shoot. Contrasts are good. Isn't it almost universally accepted that without pain we'd appreciate pleasure less?

Philosophy now!
    IJ will blow a fuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
    Whatever ails Ian seems to have leapt across the pond and contaminated my club members. I brought my newly acquired, well worn but hard shooting (for what it is) Junior to the club last evening and pulled it out of my kit after shooting a half-dozen targets with my Pardini. Got a LOT of weird looks. I offered it around, hoping someone would be brave and take a shot or two. Nothing. Every shooter leaned backwards as I offered it, like it were a piece of luncheon meat with green-grey blotches on it or something similar. I'd never shot it at 10 metres before - just received it a week ago and rebuilt it with proper lubrication so it's new to me. The spring is in excellent condition, but being a .177" Junior it's shooting around 245fps. There's a very noticeable interval between the bang of the piston and the impact on the trap plate. As there's no vertical sight adjustment (it's an early 1950's model) I soon found that aiming at the top edge of the target paper resulted in a hit on the black. That's about all I could hope for. Have to work on that, try to learn to keep all the shots at least in the black at 10 metres.

Perhaps if that's manageable the rest of the formal 10 metre AP shooters at the club won't be so stand-offish about it. But I doubt it. Too much of a toy in their eyes. One said it looked like a flare gun. Oh well. More shooting for me if no one else wants a try. Their loss. When I went back to my K10 for one last target before calling it a night I shot a 93 with 5 hits on the 10. Not my best target this week (managed a 97 two days ago at home) but my best for the night. And it was obvious I owed it to the harsh reminders of trigger smoothness and sight picture maintenance brought into crisp focus by shooting a dozen shots with the Webley. After that, shooting an Olympic class PCP felt easier than usual. I shoot the Tempest quite regularly at home for that very reason. A .22" Tempest kicks like a mule. A dozen or two shots through that and then back to formal practice and I feel like I'm bathed in luxury, like the Pardini is almost too easy to shoot. Contrasts are good. Isn't it almost universally accepted that without pain we'd appreciate pleasure less?
    '... looked like a flare gun...' Love it!

But what a good idea. Now, if I played cricket ( dont we have a yawn smillie?) a Wobbly may help me with my overarm swing.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I think Gerard's explanation of his own personal experience when wielding a wobbly perfectly summarises how threatened those used to shooting high end PCPs feel when confronted by a "real" gun. I know the feeling well. The thing is chaps that said Jones, as I mentioned in the opening post, had his bottom slapped by an admittedly expert pistol shot using a 40 year old Premier.

It is unfortunate Gerard that you have given Ian the "Flare Gun" description. Things are hard enough as it is! My mission this evening is to first catch the unbeliever, strap and tape a wobbly into his hand, and watch him try and hit the bull while hanging from the ceiling of the 10mt range shouting "Come back Christine, I love you really."

Thanks for your efforts last evening as well Bob. If Ian manages to survive this evening in one piece, I will take a picture of him wielding a wobbly in either his live or dead hand. I'll give you "overarm swing" you utter heathen!!!

Andy

As with all springers I believe the main secrets to controlling recoil and shooting reasonably accurately with these pistols is not to grip too tightly and FOLLOW THROUGH.

Regards

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post

Thanks for your efforts last evening as well Bob. If Ian manages to survive this evening in one piece, I will take a picture of him wielding a wobbly in either his live or dead hand. I'll give you "overarm swing" you utter heathen!!!

Andy
    I shall be bringing a pistol to the club tonight for an airing. No, its NOT a Wobbly. Its got better wood work than 'the plumbers nightmare' and more of it.
    It has less plastic.
    Its got a better trigger than the Birmingham 'flare gun'.
    It IS British made! [I think]
    It IS multi shot.
    I bet it gets more use than the Wobblys.

Just sitting here in smug mode.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Just sitting here in smug mode.
    Feeling a wee bit lonesome are we, hmmmm?

He is feeling smug Gerard because my own Wobbly Tempest failed to perform this evening unfortunately. For whatever reason, and believe me a couple of us tried our best, we couldn't get a zero. Interestingly, the gun is very consistent over the chrono, but if you cant hit anything, well, what can I say?

Ians "Orca" semi automatic pistol was much more accurate tonight. He was shooting it at all and sundry. Its very accurate for an elastic band gun I must say. Just needs some more work on the stock and it could go into production. Me, I will stick to the Wobbly Mk1 and Premier which are clearly far superior to the Tempest I hate to say. The BSA Magnum I was using was a different matter though. Take a look at the other thread for a quick summary of that guns good performance.

(Awaits tirade from Ian Jones)

Andy

Tirade!

Happy now?

Don't give up on your Tempest - there are plenty of good results being displayed here on the BBS that have been shot with the Wobbly Tempest so yours is not typical and just needs some attention.

Your next visit to RMTC can include some time with my .177 Tempest - no problem getting that one zeroed-in on the 10 meter target - come and try it for yourself.

Don't go all wobbly with your Tempest

Not me unfortunately. It would be interesting to see how the firing characteristics of a Wobbly could be changed for the better, not that there is anything wrong with them as standard of course, apart from my Tempest, who is still in the naughty corner awaiting execution.

Maybe we could get Ians "Orca" short stroked as well. The velocity and minimal recoil make the piece pretty accurate as standard. Reckon performance would increase dramatically if he could load those thick elastic bands that postmen leave all over the show. Nobody would be safe then!

Andy