Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Webley versus Steyr shock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amac View Post
    Blimey Gerard!!!

What we all need now is for a Tempest owner out there to donate their guns body to science .....

Andy
    .and to fishing weights, dustbin balance, scrap yards.......

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

I knew you wouldn't be able to resist that one....
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

There must be somebody reading this who can help GGGrrr with his request for a Tempest piston or a dead gun?

Quote Originally Posted by ggggr View Post
    ^Bump for a piston?
    Anybody want to get in on a "TARGET TEMPEST" project?
    Yup - sounds good to me - and it will give us even more to test and write about in our various ongoing Webley tests at RMTC.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Surely somebody reading this will have an unloved Wobbly Tempest at the back of their collection looking lost and forlorn? Please be kind to the gun and help to give at a new lease of life in Dr GGGGGRRR Frankensteins experimental airgun division. Just think what might be achieved!!!! A Steyr slaying British made pistol that none superhuman shooters will be able to use to trounce the German hordes.

Please have pity.

Andy

I have just picked-up a Brummie Tempest of the .177 variety thanks to some help from red bob and so my old one of the same flavour can be used to replicate Grrrrs idea's so we can see how we get on.

We actually live reasonably close to each other so maybe we can arrange a for a lift over to RMTC one Thursday night for Graham when we are having one of our regular Webley test bashes so he can join in and we can attempt a few mods together and see what works.

It could be a very interesting evening for all of us!

We won't do it on a Tuesday as Ian would get over-excited and we don't want to see that happen in public again!
    Last edited by zooma; 07-09-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

We won't do it on a Tuesday as Ian would get over-excited and we don't want to see that happen in public again!
    I wouldn''t say I was 'over-excited'.

I was just happy that you got your shots near to the target box.

no engineer, so would need someone to do the piston heads. I reckon I could cut,drill and tap the piston myself at a pinch. I have managed to drill and tap a few pistons (pre war Bsa) in the past but it is a job I dont really like.
    The real thing is to get a length of Ptfe of the right diameter (I have a feeling older Webleys were 51/64th and guess Webley didn,t change this?), with a hole drilled through the middle to take a 2ba screw. I could then cut it with a hacksaw (again at a pinch) and drill a hole to take the screw head.
    happy with .22 but for a Target I suppose it would have to be .177. I don't think IJ would like to be whupped by a doorstop in an antiquated calibre?
    Bit of a trigger update. I tried the wider trigger (from Nibbs) today and even after a bit of work, it was not as good as the other. So it will go back for a bit more polishing. It has proved to me though that the trigger is more to do with sorting out the contact points than the trigger spring.
    I bought my wide trigger from Chambers and it fits well on my Brummie Tempest and works better than the standard trigger that it replaced.

Was the Knibbs part a genuine Webley part or one of their copy parts?

. Should it have the safety catch on or should it be removed? ( I dont like them).
    Should it have the standard plastic grips or a wooden set
    Should it have the standard blade or
    should we ask one of the fabricators to have a go at making one with a smaller gap?
    Should a Hurricane be used?
    Should it be melted down or welded up?

Good luck with the search.

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Should it be melted down or welded up?

Good luck with the search.
    Take no notice - IJ is only sulking because I did not take a Webley to the club with me last night - he is very fond of them really but his history of insulting and deriding them has put him in a very awkward position.

When will IJ "come out" and publicly declare his affection for the Webley air pistol?

....watch this space

When will IJ "come out" and publicly declare his affection for the Webley air pistol?

....watch this space
    Keep watching.

[We could be here for a VERY long time.]

Yes, I did miss your using your 'Wobblys' last night. I miss your shout of delight on the rare occasion you get one pellet on the target card. I dont know what you would do if you ever got one in the black. I love the "Has anyone got a screw driver?" then the fun of the search for the latest bit thats fell off the Wobbly. Yes, I did miss them.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Keep watching.

[We could be here for a VERY long time.]

Yes, I did miss your using your 'Wobblys' last night. I miss your shout of delight on the rare occasion you get one pellet on the target card. I dont know what you would do if you ever got one in the black. I love the "Has anyone got a screw driver?" then the fun of the search for the latest bit thats fell off the Wobbly. Yes, I did miss them.

ATB
    Ian

Nothing falls off of my Wobleys - you are getting confused again - that little pellet thingy is supposed to come out of the end when you pull the trigger

The screwdriver is only used to finely adjust the precision rear sight plate - but I see on your Steyr you need various knobs to twiddle with little instructions stamped into the sights to help you understand which way to turn them !

The deft touch of a skilled screwdriver operator is all that is needed to tweak the rear sight of a Webley Tempest into perfect alignment - probably far too tricky for you to master though since you still struggle to understand how to operate your plastic pellet sorter box.

.......maybe a Webley Hurricane or a Typhoon would suite you better - they have nice little twiddly knobs on them for you to play with - I will bring one with me for you to have a go with next Tuesday........there - better now ?

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    .......maybe a Webley Hurricane or a Typhoon would suite you better - they have nice little twiddly knobs on them for you to play with - I will bring one with me for you to have a go with next Tuesday........there - better now ?
    No use whatsoever unless the markings and instructions are in German......
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

Bump for a Tempest/Hurricane piston or a rough Tempest (.177 preferred for this)

I was thinking about splashing out on a .177 barrel from Nibbs but with the silly laws now, that is out.
    Also looked at that rough Hurricane on Protek's web site---but again with the silly laws. Plus with the bits missing, it would not prove to be cheap. I know some of the favourite sons get a discount for mentioning them on here

Anyhow---bumpy for a project or a piston.
    You could try asking to see if a BBS member lives close enough to Knibbs or Chambers or Protek (etc) to see if they would pick a .177 barrel up for you if you send them the cash and the postage.

This will work as it is only the RFD that cannot post it to you - but anyone else can!

.just a thought!

If you're truly pursuing a target Tempest/Hurricane, I'd suggest investing the time in fitting and carving something like proper target grips, at least the palm side as the fingertip side isn't very significant on a target pistol. A great fit with no real effort to achieve exactly the same grip every time is essential to consistent target shooting, so a great fit to the individual's hand as well as a palm shelf adjusted to snug up against the bottom of the hand are really quite necessary. Otherwise you'll be guessing at your grip from shot to shot, especially considering the somewhat awkward cocking stroke, and any slight change in gripping results in missed shots in a string.