Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What grease to use to prevent flashover?

Im another water pump grease user. bought a big tub about ten years ago and I'm still using it, also use wonderlube sometimes.
    Use Remington no11 caps, they work faultlessly with my ROA,s and the Rogers and Spencer.

Kranks sell cutters in various sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Wads are another subject altogether, and since I neither make them nor use them, I'll leave that subject to those who do.

tac
    Hi Tac,
    No wads or Lube, Do you just rely on the tight fit of the ball then ?
    V.

Try a 12mm gasket punch.

Quote Originally Posted by mat BRC View Post
    Use wads
    Hmmmmmmmmm. I 'spose I'll put my oar in again. TBH, this is a subject that really needs to be made a sticky, as quite a few of us have posted on this very subject in the last month, and it tends to get ignored.

Re Voodoo and Post #18. Balls falling out of the chamber once they've been forcibly RAMMED in by the loading lever? Never seen it with a correct fitting, lead-shaving ball. Obviously, if they just fall in, then they are going to just fall out again. Most .44s take a .451" to .454" ball, and ALL Ruger Old Armys take a .457".

ANY good quality MINERAL-based grease or even pharmaceutical skin-cream like E45 will be good to use to seal the chambers over. Whereas the grease tends to be gloopy and messy, and not so easy to remove on cleaning, the use of E45 - an emulsion - means that it simply washes away with all the crud. Using hydro-carbon-based grease is not such a good plan, as the heat of ignition and the BP residue combine to make a near-immoveable build-up of fouling that can be a b*gger to remove.

Flashover, BTW, happens when badly-fitting caps are placed on worn-out nipples, allowing the flash to 'flash-over' from one cap to the adjacent nipple, and this set of a series of shots, commonly called a chain-fire. I've been shooting BP handguns since the late 1960's and have yet to witness one, although everybody, except me, it seems, knows somebody to whom it has happened, or somebody who knows somebody else to whom it has happened. If anybody can PROVE to me how a flame can wrap itself around the ball that is almost immoveably and hermetically-sealed into its tight-fitting chamber as is humanly possible, then I'l accept that it happens because you haven't put enough gloop on the front of the ball. Whinemeal, I'll continue to shoot thousands of shots a year in blissful ignorance, without a chainfire.

And yes, I WILL have my say about wads, and then say no more about them, except to note that they are a recent phenomenum and are not mentioned by Colt or Remington at any time when they were making BP revolvers.

Wads are good to help fill out the space in the chamber when using light loads and to bring the ball as near the mouth of the chamber as the shooter feels is necessary. Seating the ball flush with the mouth of the chamber is good practice, and can be achieved by using a combination of correct/best load that works for you, wads and/or an inert filler like semolina or cous-cous. Me, I don't bother, just like the original shooters of the things didn't bother. You can buy wads - called Ox-Yoke Wonder-wads[tm] - at horrendous cost here in UK, or make your own from thick upholsterer's felt and a suitable wad punch, as mentioned. Soak the sheet of felt overnight in Crisco or whatever you have here like it [Trex?] and let it set. Cut out and use.

And BTW, if you decide to use grease instead of my heartily-recommended E45 [Boots sell it], that grease will also do for the cylinder axis pin to keep the cylinder rotating in spite of the BP crud.

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 05-09-2013 at 02:11 PM.

tacfoely is probably the closest to my practice.

Grease? I don't use it. The only advantage to using grease is to keep B/P fouling soft for easier cleaning, I don't leave my revolvers that long before cleaning them, so no need. It does not prevent flashover at the front of the chambers. A tight fitting ball does. Decent nipples and correctly fitting caps prevent the "true" cause for flashover and a chain fire.

Wads. If using very light loads of real B/P or Pyrodex, the B/P substitute, then it really needs a slight compression to ignite properly. Wads are really essential if using Triple 7. Triple 7 is not a B/P substitute, but is a nitro based propellant that you can use safely in B/P guns. The loading data issued by Hodgdon is the only SAFE load combination with Triple 7. The ignition of this powder can be problematic if not the exact recipe is used as it can produce dangerous pressure spikes. The height of the powder tower with Triple 7 is critical.

As for seating the ball as close to the chamber mouth as close as possible is, in my experimentation, purely a personal choice. If it boosts your confidence, then do it, because that will no doubt transfer itself to your score card! But, as long as a revolver has a cylinder gap for the ball to cross, how close the ball is to the forcing cone matters not a jot... A .357 revolver with a .38spl full wadcutter has a "massive" gap between bullet and chamber mouth, but this was the most accurate combination pre 1997 days...

I use grease that comes from a certain airlines engineering maintenance department, my understanding for using it is to stop fouling and to lube the ball as it goes down the barrel. I just followed what all the other club members do and some of them have been shooting it for 40 years.

Quote Originally Posted by lasbrisas View Post
    I use grease that comes from a certain airlines engineering maintenance department, my understanding for using it is to lube the ball as it goes down the barrel. I just followed what all the other club members do and some of them have been shooting it for 40 years.
    If you ask any of your experts in the airlines engineering maintenance department, they will tell you something that has been well-known since Man first starting sending little lead balls down tubes - lead is self-lubricating, and little balls of the stuff require nothing to help them on their way down a highly-polished steel barrel.

The purpose of slopping grease over the end of the chamber is either to give some degree of comfort for those who STILL believe that a flame can ooze past a sealed in chamber ball, or to keep the fouling soft.

Take your pick.

On the other hand, if you don't believe ME, post your comment on www.muzzleloadingforum. com, where any five shooters taken at random have over 200 years of BP experience, and see what THEY have to say. Although I've been a poster there myself for the last twelve years, I promise not to stick my $0.02 in.

tac

I don't bother with grease or wads I just use cheap porridge oats, once Bp has been put in all the clylinders fill with porridge oats then press ball in, the oats will compress but if you have remove the ball by hand (no misquotes please) the oats will have compressed to something that is like concrete to remove a shooter with over 50 years of shooting experience told me about the oats
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    I don't bother with grease or wads I just use cheap porridge oats, once Bp has been put in all the clylinders fill with porridge oats then press ball in, the oats will compress but if you have remove the ball by hand (no misquotes please) the oats will have compressed to something that is like concrete to remove a shooter with over 50 years of shooting experience told me about the oats
    Do you prefer sugar or the more traditional salt with your porridge oats?

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Do you prefer sugar or the more traditional salt with your porridge oats?

tac
    sugar
    when i make paper cartridges for my .44 roger & Spencer i had to use fine grained semolina as a filler/wadding
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

when i make paper cartridges for my .44 roger & Spencer i had to use fine grained semolina as a filler/wadding
    how much kranks bp are you using,also which one are you using fine/med to how much semolina filler ?
    ballkeeper

im only using 20 gr of black, fine semolina but you will have to experiment to find how much you need as the cylinder size if different
    this is the vid i used but i put the semolina in first. i have used round ball as well for the cartridge
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg
    Last edited by airgunnut; 11-09-2013 at 07:08 PM.

cheers are you using fine or med kranks bp , they told me fine for mine.

on my le page i use 12gr and same with fine semolina all good so far
    ballkeeper

yep fine bp, a general rule of thumb is longer the barrel coarser the powder, in pistols fine bp, in carbines medium-coarse, full length barrels coarse, i was told the powder should burn nearly the full length of the barrel not just in the first few inch (the barrel gets warm along the full length, this was for center fire but i assume the same will be for bp)