Thread: Great idea

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world

Great idea

Here's a little idea of mine. Anyone think its gonna work ?
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)

Me and a friend have been toying with the idea of a moderator for Bp rifles for some time but the moderator will have to be removed to load every shot, then the size of the mod as 1 gram of bp will produce 270cc of gas (1 gram = 15.432 grains) a 30 grain charge will produce about 540 cubic centimetres of gas, that's just under 9 liters of gas the mod will have to handle but good luck and keep us posted (we are having noise issues regarding Bp at the club, highest load in a pistol is only 20 grains)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    Me and a friend have been toying with the idea of a moderator for Bp rifles for some time but the moderator will have to be removed to load every shot, then the size of the mod as 1 gram of bp will produce 270cc of gas (1 gram = 15.432 grains) a 30 grain charge will produce about 540 cubic centimetres of gas, that's just under 9 liters of gas the mod will have to handle but good luck and keep us posted (we are having noise issues regarding Bp at the club, highest load in a pistol is only 20 grains)
    Hmmmmmmm.

1. My rifle uses 90gr per shot, and a Brown Bess uses about 120gr [less the few grains in the pan]. I don't think that many folks are going to be happy screw-cutting their £3500 Baker rifle replica... or ANY black powder-shooting replica or genuine item. I assume that you are including all the BP cartridge-firing rifles and carbines of military and civilian type BEFORE the development of smokeless powder?

2. It's also going to make a Brown Bess almost seven and a half feet long AND obscure any sights....it seems to have been ignored that moderators are generally fitted to rifles that have telescopic sights that are above the sight-line that would be reduced or totally obscured by the presence of a moderator.

3. Airgunnut - change your club - you are suffering discrimination in your chosen sport. And lastly,

4. Proof please, that 30gr of BP is as noisy or noisier than a centre-fire .44-something from a carbine or LBR.

tac

When we restarted black powder shooting at the club we had some complaints about the noise (the 100m outdoor range is only passed for .22 and black) back hasn't beens shot for some years and ignorance is rife, we did some tests and we found that using 20 grains at the 75 m mark (we close the out door range and shoot 25m from the 100m backstop) the shots could not be heard from the house at the end of the rd (about 300 m from the firing point) but for some reason the shots are now rattling windows at 500m so the times was changed to shoot on Tuesday's at about 11 am (no one can get as there all at work!) we know that the Bp revolvers are noisier than the single shot pistols and a .50 rifle (addmitadly using loads 1/2 the recommended lowest of 40 grns)
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

In order to limit or ban something, there must be demonstrable and repeatable proof that it is somehow infringing either a by-law or a natural law. For a club to set limits on noise requires investigation by the club officials that serve one way or another to either support or refute their posits. We have a company H&S inspector in our coulb with a full range of audio test equipment, who was busy taking readings for half a mile around the site of the proposed [now built] firing point, to determine the level of noise that the local villagers - 900m away - would suffer as a result. Bear in mind that our club has been in situ since just after WW2.

You have a hundred yard range - are centre-fire rifles not shot there also?

tac, much confused.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    You have a hundred yard range - are centre-fire rifles not shot there also?

tac, much confused.
    no because just over the top of the back stop/cliff wall is a farmers field then the town of maltby,

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    no because just over the top of the back stop/cliff wall is a farmers field then the town of maltby,
    Ah right. Thank you. So you have a CLIFF WALL backstop, and I guess the sound echoes of it?

BTW, you need to remind the good folks of Maltby that without the guns they made in WW2 they'd most likely be still complaining about the noise of free men and women shooting, but in German.

Some folks are just not grateful enough, I reckon.

tac

davederrick is offline With our thoughts, we make the world
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    btw, you need to remind the good folks of maltby that without the guns they made in ww2 they'd most likely be still complaining about the noise of free men and women shooting, but in german.

Some folks are just not grateful enough, i reckon.

Tac
    "I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Lets start with typewriters." - Frank Lloyd Wright (1867-1959)