Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Semolina as a filling

Semolina as a filling

Hollo members just a very quick one I hope, I have mastered my Charles Moore what a truly accurate pistol.
    This thread is about my Roger and Spencer cal •44 revolver basically I need to use a filler to take up a small air space to stop ball jump
    I've been told to use semolina which I'm told is cream of wheat well is the semolina what you find in food stores ok it looks like yellow flour or is it a grain type semolina like rice if so where do you buy it ?
    Thanks for any help PS what other types of filler are just as good to use here in Briton thanks ?
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Food grade Semolina, as available in supermarkets, is fine. I find Tesco Semolina to be too finely ground, such that it does not flow at all well (it's quite floury). Sainsbury's is more granular, slightly finer than granulated sugar (but softer of course), much finer than rice, and meters/pours well. I believe that couscous is also used to good effect.

You basically want any soft'ish powder that is fine enough to pour easily, and of course being a muzzle loader, it has to be cheap
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Food grade Semolina, as available in supermarkets, is fine. I find Tesco Semolina to be too finely ground, such that it does not flow at all well (it's quite floury). Sainsbury's is more granular, slightly finer than granulated sugar (but softer of course), much finer than rice, and meters/pours well. I believe that couscous is also used to good effect.

You basically want any soft'ish powder that is fine enough to pour easily, and of course being a muzzle loader, it has to be cheap
    Thanks for your straight foreword No nonsense reply will take your advice and act on it thanks once again Best regards from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Another vote for Sainsbury's semolina - Very similar size to blackpowder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
    Another vote for Sainsbury's semolina - Very similar size to blackpowder.
    Thanks I'll give it ago going over to Folkestone tomorrow they have a Sainsburys thanks for heads up on this one
    Best regards from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Anything inert, I use couscous because its coarser and will crunch down if theres a tad too much.
    porridge oats. crushed corn flakes the list is endless but avoid man made fibers such "wool" as out of the missus knitting box, they can burn and become a sticky mess up the barrel.

Or you could go th posh route and use pukka felt wads.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 04-01-2014 at 06:19 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

filler

+ 1 for Sainsbury semolina

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    Anything inert, I use couscous because its coarser and will crunch down if theres a tad too much.
    porridge oats. crushed corn flakes the list is endless but avoid man made fibers such "wool" as out of the missus knitting box, they can burn and become a sticky mess up the barrel.

Or you could go th posh route and use pukka felt wads.
    Thank you for your reply as in this black art of ares there are secrets the space is not large to fill so I'll try a few of all the things mentioned thanks kind regards from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by fatbob View Post
    + 1 for Sainsbury semolina
    Thank you looks like I'll be trying sainsburys semolina and sainsburys couscous sure one or both will do just fine thanks
    B.S.A.R Member

Another one for semolina. Don't care what brand. Tim

semolina work fine for me as well

I'd go with semolina but we have an indoor range that is very damp,semolina grew a fur coat down range so was stopped, some use corrogated cardboard wads,no lube on the cardboard but the balls are lubed with wonderlube.
    I use 3mm compressed cork and a wad cutter,can be got in sheets from the bay for £5,enough to make 3 thousand so not a problem.Couldn't bring myself to buy wonderwads cus I'm tight like that.
    Put the wads in a ziplock bag with some olive oil to soak in,conicals or RB lubed also in wonderlube but no over the ball lube needed.
    The cork wads stay intact,found on the range,10yrds or so,black on one side.

natco corn meal 1.5kg from asda last long time ,use it both bp guns £1

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-...meal_15kg.html
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    I'd go with semolina but we have an indoor range that is very damp,semolina grew a fur coat down range so was stopped, some use corrogated cardboard wads,no lube on the cardboard but the balls are lubed with wonderlube.
    I use 3mm compressed cork and a wad cutter,can be got in sheets from the bay for £5,enough to make 3 thousand so not a problem.Couldn't bring myself to buy wonderwads cus I'm tight like that.
    Put the wads in a ziplock bag with some olive oil to soak in,conicals or RB lubed also in wonderlube but no over the ball lube needed.
    The cork wads stay intact,found on the range,10yrds or so,black on one side.
    Thanks for info on cork sheeting.My range won't allow wad cutters only round balls or rounded conical I don't know why before my time at this club I'll bear in mind your advice as I stumble along this new path in are hobby thank you for advise best regards Frank
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    natco corn meal 1.5kg from asda last long time ,use it both bp guns £1

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-...meal_15kg.html
    Thanks mate have brought semolina at sainsburys but will give yours and other members recommendations ago if it doesn't pan out thanks from Frank
    B.S.A.R Member