Thread: Charles Moore 447 ball or 454 ball

Charles Moore 447 ball or 454 ball

Hi members I am shooting in my Moore a 447 ball with a 15 patch I would like to try my revolver balls of 454 with a 5 or 10 patch can I do this or would it be a danger to me or my gun club friends would be using 22gns of pyrodex any help please from Frank ps my CM is •45 cal
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Hi Frank, is there a particular reason you want to change your ball/patch combination.?? Im no expert but i would
    think the patch needs to be thick enough to seal between the ball and barrel. Don't know if a .005" patch would do
    this. I seem to remember using .012" in my Lepage with a .535" ball but don't hold me to that as it was years ago.

Im sure i don't need to say this but; Just as a foot note. If you use a too thicker patch and the ball is VERY TIGHT!
    don't be tempted to shoot the gun unless the ball is all the way down on top of the powder. All the Best, Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Hi members I am shooting in my Moore a 447 ball with a 15 patch I would like to try my revolver balls of 454 with a 5 or 10 patch can I do this or would it be a danger to me or my gun club friends would be using 22gns of pyrodex any help please from Frank ps my CM is •45 cal
    Frank, IMO 22gr of Pyrodex P [you ARE using Pyrodex P, aren't you?] is WAY too much of a load for a percussion target pistol like the Moore. That's the equivalent of about 25gr of FFg black powder, well into Ruger Old Army revolver territory. Most shooting with this kind of a pistol -.44 or .45 - is done with around 15 -18 gr of FFg. I assume that you have a good reason for shooting with this load?

Tim's advice is good with regard to patches. Examination of fired patches should show you an even set of brown to black fanning, but no charring or tears.

tac

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    Hi Frank, is there a particular reason you want to change your ball/patch combination.?? Im no expert but i would
    think the patch needs to be thick enough to seal between the ball and barrel. Don't know if a .005" patch would do
    this. I seem to remember using .012" in my Lepage with a .535" ball but don't hold me to that as it was years ago.

Im sure i don't need to say this but; Just as a foot note. If you use a too thicker patch and the ball is VERY TIGHT!
    don't be tempted to shoot the gun unless the ball is all the way down on top of the powder. All the Best, Tim
    Hi Tim thank you for post the reason is I make my own 454 balls so you know where this is going yes to lazy to change moulds to 447 well that's the truth. So you got me thinking is it worth it well to be honest NO so I'll take your advise and stay with 447 the Moore loves them and the 15 patch which I can load with starter no need for mallet they are tight but not over tight.So once again a member as made me come to my seances in a kind way thanks Tim from Frank Ps any other members read this it's ok I'm sticking to .447 ball in the Moor so no need to post thanks every one
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member