Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Startup advice please....

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    It's a bit of air pipe between 1-2 inch long with just 2 caps, one in each end (closed end in the pipe) push cap on to nipple and pinch the pipe behind the cap to insure it pops out then just make sure it's seated (you have a dozen or so ready in a box) it costs a £1 or so for a few feet of this air pipe
    If you watch the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg towards the end you see the maker of the vid use the pipes to recap
    Great idea! I like it. However, it's not HC for some folks...me I'll use anything that makes all the fiddly bits easier.

tac

"Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    It's a bit of air pipe between 1-2 inch long with just 2 caps, one in each end (closed end in the pipe) push cap on to nipple and pinch the pipe behind the cap to insure it pops out then just make sure it's seated (you have a dozen or so ready in a box) it costs a £1 or so for a few feet of this air pipe
    If you watch the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg towards the end you see the maker of the vid use the pipes to recap
    Neat idea - particularly for the Remington because the cylinder cut outs for the nipples are too small to use an in-line capper - I will shamelessly copy it.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Neat idea - particularly for the Remington because the cylinder cut outs for the nipples are too small to use an in-line capper - I will shamelessly copy it.
    it is at this point i must point out that i pilfered the idea from the vid in one of my previous posts
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

...at this point I'd like to point out that I'm very grateful for all the advice, I just haven't been able to put any of it into practice as I'm still waiting for my variation

...anyone care to comment on whether I should start with Pyrodex (cheaper) or Triple Seven (expensive, sensitive to compression, but easier to clean)? (Black powder not an option, as I decided not to apply for an explosives license to begin with)

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post
    ...at this point I'd like to point out that I'm very grateful for all the advice, I just haven't been able to put any of it into practice as I'm still waiting for my variation

...anyone care to comment on whether I should start with Pyrodex (cheaper) or Triple Seven (expensive, sensitive to compression, but easier to clean)? (Black powder not an option, as I decided not to apply for an explosives license to begin with)
    Find out whatever any of your shooting buddies have, buy the other one and swap some. Then you can try both
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post

Pyrodex P is for pistols - uses 90% by WEIGHT of an equivalent BP charge.. Triple 7 is also good, and uses 85% by WEIGHT of an equivalent BP charge. Both clean up with water, and notwithstanding what folks say, they BOTH need a quick clean-up, post shooting.

Pyrodex P is energetic, but Triple 7, by comparison, is just plain frantic. Smells odd, too, a bit like sugar beets - not surprising, since it is a sugar-based propellant.

Your choice - I use both Pyrodex Select and Triple 7 in my two revolvers, but there really is nothing like the holy black.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Pyrodex P is for pistols - uses 90% by WEIGHT of an equivalent BP charge.. but there really is nothing like the holy black.

tac
    Amen to that!!!!!!!!!

I must be the devils spawn.......use Triple 7, you'll not regret it when you experience the easy hot water cleaning and effortless power.

Might be worth having a read here:

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/Revolver.html

Lots of advice, and I can vouch for the cleaning tips and bees wax / lard solution!

Haven't tried the chamfered cylinder idea yet though. What do you guys think?
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Might be worth having a read here:

http://www.geojohn.org/BlackPowder/Revolver.html......
    Yes, I read that & it all sounds very plausible - can't wait to try some of it out

Quote Originally Posted by Livefast123 View Post
    I must be the devils spawn.......use Triple 7, you'll not regret it when you experience the easy hot water cleaning and effortless power.
    i use black powder, i also use hot soapy water to clean the gun so using Triple 7 (because it can be cleaned up with water) is pointless, how many bp substitute shooters go home after a shoot and put the guns in the safe without cleaning them? not many, all bp and bp substitute shooters i know go home and clean the guns in hot soapy water (the posh one even uses the dish washer)

i use black powder, i also use hot soapy water to clean the gun so using Triple 7 (because it can be cleaned up with water) is pointless, how many bp substitute shooters go home after a shoot and put the guns in the safe without cleaning them? not many, all bp and bp substitute shooters i know go home and clean the guns in hot soapy water (the posh one even uses the dish washer)
    Why subs? Many folks I know use them because of a number of important reasons.

1. Subs are easier to obtain than ANY BP - with so many different variants of BP around, and the best only available at one or two locations in the entire UK. The HAZMAT carriage cost added to the base price makes it costy, to say the least. What do you do if you live in the South West, and Kranks is 250 miles away?

2. Ease of storage - no fancy Home Office-approved box needed - although some of us, me included, store our propellant in a large wooden ammunition box anyhow.

3. No extra license is needed for subs.

tac

sorry i keep forgetting that some have difficulty obtaining black powder
    on the 2 other points, the licence is free and the box is easy to make

Lightbulb

Thank you sir for your explanation and wonderful back up photos I for one will try this type of capper I only get to shoot about four cylinders so will do nicely I'll make up 15 that will be plenty thanks once again for shareing from Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member