Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Startup advice please....

E45

I like the sound of E45 cream rather than grease...

Off to the chemist.

I've never had problems with Pyrodex ignition , I use Remington No10 caps which fit well on my Rogers and Spencer .
    It's a good idea to try different size and brand of caps that fit snugly yet push on all the way and seat well.

Andrew.
    No , you don't need a better guitar. You need some lessons.

Really grateful for all the comments, just working through it all

I'm guessing that 'Aqueous cream' would do as well as E45 (both seem to be basically Liquid Paraffin, White Soft Paraffin) - though a guy I occasionally see at the club uses a home brew that adds beeswax to that (I must try to get the 'recipe' sometime

So.... if I was to use a wad (lubed or not), would that allow me to skip the filler??

....btw, when I take my Taurus .22 LBR out, I just shoot it ....I can see that a cap 'n ball revolver is going to be a whole world of fun

Quote Originally Posted by robpark View Post

....btw, when I take my Taurus .22 LBR out, I just shoot it ....I can see that a cap 'n ball revolver is going to be a whole world of fun
    no this is fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/...emporary-1.jpg
    and this is its powder measure
    http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/.../temporary.jpg
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Fun indeed ....what is it?

Aqueous cream is to watery ,best just get the e45 ,
    for filller somolina or cornflour[ £1.35 for kilo]

airgunnut like the loading stand
    pistol is it a .32??

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    Aqueous cream is to watery ,best just get the e45 ,
    for filller somolina or cornflour[ £1.35 for kilo]
    oats 75p per kg also good for cold winter mornings as breakfast
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill

oats 75p per kg also good for cold winter mornings as breakfast
    found it too lumpy lol

the pistol is a .32 zylab patriot pistol by Moravian Arms, its a nitro muzzle loader that uses 1 (yes one) grain of bullseye, you load the magazine with small pistol primers then use the powder measure then with the press load the gas checked bullet, the loading press also decaps the mag

Quote Originally Posted by airgunnut View Post
    the pistol is a .32 zylab patriot pistol by Moravian Arms, its a nitro muzzle loader that uses 1 (yes one) grain of bullseye, you load the magazine with small pistol primers then use the powder measure then with the press load the gas checked bullet, the loading press also decaps the mag
    It looks suspiciously like the Britarms pistol from a few years back. In fact, it looks like an almost EXACT copy of that unsuccessful and overpriced handgun.

They caught the imagination of former pistol shooters like fire-lighters at a heretic's trial.

tac

Not really, but then I've not really had the chance to do any serious testing (problems with noise at the club)
    Well, I'll let YOU figure it out.

The .454/.457 ball weighs around 126gr.

The .454/.457 conical weighs around 240gr.

If you watch me shooting my ROA on Yotube - tac's guns - Ruger Old Army - you'll see the difference quite clearly.

tac

I'v been thinking of going down the BP pistol road and I'm really impressed with the pre made paper cartrige.
    A couple of questions though.
    Does the cylinder need doused or cleaned to remove any remaining paper or can another made up cartrige be loaded directly afterwards ?
    Once the bullet was loaded into the cylinder no grease was used as sealer. Does the use of pre coated bullets with Alox remove the need for this ?
    I have seen replacement primer nipples for shotgun primers. Is there any advantage to these or are they primarally for Nitro pistols ?

All info appreciated, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by weebeestie View Post
    I'v been thinking of going down the BP pistol road and I'm really impressed with the pre made paper cartrige.
    A couple of questions though.
    Does the cylinder need doused or cleaned to remove any remaining paper or can another made up cartrige be loaded directly afterwards ?
    Once the bullet was loaded into the cylinder no grease was used as sealer. Does the use of pre coated bullets with Alox remove the need for this ?
    I have seen replacement primer nipples for shotgun primers. Is there any advantage to these or are they primarally for Nitro pistols ?

All info appreciated, thanks.
    Well that's THREE question..soooo

1. No. There totally nothing left of the nitro-impregnated paper after shooting, no more that there is after smoking a roll-up.

2. Alox is not the best stuff for the slow-moving ball, but if it's all there is then use it. No original shooters ever used ANY kind of grease, BTW

3. They are all fine and dandy, if you live in a country where #209 shotgun primers are as cheap as percussion caps - don't overlook the fact that these things are around £12 EACH - that's a LOT of caps. However, they work very well indeed.

tac

tac forgot to mention safety glasses and baby/hand wipes (it gits messy )
    i tired making some black powder cartridges http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg they work very well especially if its a bit breezy on the range, i used fag papers and fine semolina as a filler, did not foul as much as normal the capping system is air pipe from a fish tank, a number a black powder shooters have said its the best capping tool they have ever used (and the cheapest)
    if im loading without the paper carts i use porridge oats
    Hi pardon me (a novice) sir but how does your capping system work ? Can't fathom how they move down tube and do you squash them on to nipple.Please explain. At the moment I use a brass long thing very fiddly to fill and only holds 20 caps thanks from Frank
    Ex Royal Navy Retired have fun while it lasts."I Do"
    B.S.A.R Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Hi pardon me (a novice) sir but how does your capping system work ? Can't fathom how they move down tube and do you squash them on to nipple.Please explain. At the moment I use a brass long thing very fiddly to fill and only holds 20 caps thanks from Frank
    It's a bit of air pipe between 1-2 inch long with just 2 caps, one in each end (closed end in the pipe) push cap on to nipple and pinch the pipe behind the cap to insure it pops out then just make sure it's seated (you have a dozen or so ready in a box) it costs a £1 or so for a few feet of this air pipe
    If you watch the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg towards the end you see the maker of the vid use the pipes to recap