Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Present Day Collectables ?

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Present Day Collectables ?

One for my Bretheren in "Kollektors Korner" ;

Out of all the air weapons on the market today, what (if any) do you consider to be Collectable and highly sought after one day ?

Could be wrong and I wont be here in say 50 years time but do any stand out ? Maybe the Golden Days have long gone ?
    “An airgun or two”………

Not quite complying with your T&Cs, but Theoben rammers are well made and not as common as HWs and AAs.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

Quote Originally Posted by air-tech View Post
    Not quite complying with your T&Cs, but Theoben rammers are well made and not as common as HWs and AAs.
    No that's OK, in that frame I'd go for ;
    SLR 88 "Imperator"
    Taunus.
    Olympus.
    Duel Magnum.

PCP's
    Elan.

My Yardstick is; they have to be rare (not many made), expensive when produced or unique !
    “An airgun or two”………

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    You said CONTEMPORARY rifles. The Theobens are all in the past now, aren't they?

I would say the new Feinwerkbau Sporting Springer.

The HW57 would probably be one as it is likely to die out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    You said CONTEMPORARY rifles. The Theobens are all in the past now, aren't they?

I would say the new Feinwerkbau Sporting Springer.

The HW57 would probably be one as it is likely to die out.
    Yes but I have a soft spot for Theobens.

The 57 sounds interesting but so many other Weihrauchs have been made.
    “An airgun or two”………

That would be " Collectibles "

I have had, As many members have many guns ,
    But as a modern day Collectible there are not that many, To be collectible it has to have rarity !!!!! If there are many about, How is that to be sought after ?

I have ( Which I consider Collectible )
    It is of course open to debate , As allways , Here are a couple " I " Consider collectible ,
    You mentioned Modern , So I will start with these,
    Small Airgun maker , Robin Chainey ,
    Probably 50 Handmade airguns in total, Rifles, Pistols, Etc, All " One off,s " Whether you love them or hate them, The likes of these will never be seen , Again
    IE There will be " No more "

These are Very rare guns, IE 1 Of only 3 & 1 Of 16, ?
    & a couple more which I think should be considered , ASI Supertarget !
    This was used at the Olympics to great effect !

Another blast from the past !
    A Gamo, Recoiless, in .22, The Statical , Truely innovative at a time when other airgun makers were at lunch ,
    Alas , its time for my medication, ? Hello nurse, thats a short skirt !! I digress , as allways, Ged.

For me the whole 'future collectable' thing is clouded in modern times- especially when 'limited editions' designed to be collectable are so common, generally.

Looking at the stuff that's new today that might fit the bag of a 'future collectable', I'd look for the 'odd' iterations that cost a little bit more and the normal buyer will overlook as 'frippery'-

Then look at the things everyone will buy to use to death, then throw away- So the pristine ones you find in a couple of decades will be unusual 'survivals

Linking these two extremes are the things that we lust after now but can't afford or use now and will look back it with fond memories/rose tinted specs.

The HW97k in stainless with the black stock is probably a good example of my thinking- I'll wager most people saved their folding a went with the standard blued/beech model. Those that DO buy it will probably use it out in the wilds properly to take advantage of the stainless finish- hence I suspect these will end up rare. Likewise, some of the wilder finished stocks on BSA's Scorpion will probably end up hard to find.

Flipside of the coin- I expect that the XS/QB78 CO2 rifles from China will end up rare. Because they are cheap now and 'entry level' gun, get used to death, and when the do pack up from use most people will just buy a replacement rifle of (probably) better quality meant to last longer. Yep, right now people are tripping over them. But they wear out fast and are cheap-as-chips. Lads who had one of these as their teenage first rifle will want to buy a pristine one when they are in their 40s, despite them being at best OK.....You may scoff at this, but how do we explain the enduring collectability of the BSA Meteor?
    Nothing in his pockets except knives and lint.

I think Demoncase is right, much of the collectables market is driven by the nostalgia of people who can now afford a mint example of what they had or wanted back in the day, but couldn't afford - look at Relum's for example.

Even if my first gun was a B2 I'd want an immaculate one for old times sake - I'm so lucky it was actually an Airsporter...

When I decided to get into air guns again last summer, I didn't start with collecting as my aim, it just creeps up on you and once bitten it's all over.
    Once I decided I wanted to collect, it was a dilemma deciding what!
    As a Brummie there's more than a few home grown options
    I settled on starting with Beezers and going from there.

Then I went to the Melbourne Fair! I realised that there was a point where everything became a homogeneous mess. Everyone was making the same guns to lower and lower standards.

So I settled on only collecting rifles older than me, so pre 64. With a couple of exceptions.

If you look at today's air guns the only collectables must surely be something different. Is there any such thing now a days???

So hand made one offs? Yes, prototypes? almost the same thing, so yes.But otherwise is there anything out of the ordinary.

More importantly is there anything available today that is likely to last 100years, like a Gem,, or Militia, Tell, LJ, BSA air rifle????

For me the post 64 list is reasonably short, mercury, spitfire and firebird. Plus a paratrooper cos I couldn't have one when I was a kid

I would have thought either if the Ripleys (AR5 & XL9) would fit into that category as they are both fine rifles and are not plentiful even though they still in production.

Of the mass produced variety, then short-lived production models such as the Prestige Kub, and low volume ones like the Phoenix brand will probably attract a premium.

Finally, some thing like the Milbro Metisse which is unique, low volume and will no doubt become rare.

Now this is a good thread lets see Bam 40 ( yes really ) how many have you seen then, Hw85- the early one with the raised scope rail ala BSF 55/70, Ripley AR5 yes rare, ISP- Airstream, Alross Starfire co2 the ripley, airstream and the alross are all low volume and rare, all superb though.

I think that the Cometa Indian air pistol will be collectible, just because they're so unusual.

What made the airgun headlines though ?

ie, E-Type Jag.
    Mini Minor.
    Dyson Vac.
    Sony Walkman.

Get my drift ?
    “An airgun or two”………

I've got a Bam/xs41 How many of them have you seen? Or even likely to see?

Quote Originally Posted by battyone View Post
    I've got a Bam/xs41 How many of them have you seen? Or even likely to see?
    very true, seen 3 so far.