Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice pLease - BSF S60

Just an Update....

Last night was the only chance I had to get to grips with stripping the BSF S60 since my original post and offers of advice.

1. Cylinder mounted in spring compressor, with my adaptor to fit snugly in the hole at the back of trigger block.
    2. Take up tension of spring sufficient that guide block screw comes away easy (12mm open ended spanner to loosen off) - the block holds the spring under tension.
    3. Easy off tension slowly so that the scope rail, trigger mechanism and guide block slides back at the same time and, dare I say it, until the sweet spot is reached where the scope rail becomes sufficiently loose to be lifted out of keyway by hand - no tapping necessary. If the spring compressor tension is released too much, the scope rail becomes tight again, because, releasing spring tension further, pushes the scope rail key against the end of the keyway. Just apply a little tension with spring compressor and hit the sweet spot again and out she comes!
    4. Once scope rail removed, release tension further; out comes the trigger mechanism, guide block, spring and piston.

Stripping job done!

Mine didn't quite work as easy as that! At first, after removing the block screw, and releasing tension - solid as a rock, no movement - what the.....?

Application of Plus Gas on scope rail, trigger block and everything else, spring compressor tensioning, releasing tension, nothing moving!!!

Unscrewed the tiny scope stop screw in desperation...., backing off spring compressor about 3mm and, with a piece of wood, tapping edge of trigger block close to cylinder backwards, tensioning and releasing spring compressor many times, it eventually released, bit by bit. Once apart, I could understand why...the grease, or whatever it is, covered everything from under the scope rail, cylinder, block, main spring...everywhere possible. It had the consistency of a varnish or shellac that was nearly dry???

The grease(?) does not dissolve readily, but, I'll get there! Looks like it has not been stripped for many years. Otherwise, in very good condition throughout; screw heads, etc....leather piston seal is excellent, as is the piston and cylinder.

For interest, the spring dimensions as found:
    Length: 234mm (9 and 3/16)
    Internal Dia: 14.3mm (0.563")
    External Dia: 21.2mm (0.834")
    Spring wire Dia: 3.4mm (0.134")

Many thanks again for the help.

Best regards to all....

I love a happy ending.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Sorry should have added number of coils: 29

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I love a happy ending.
    Yes, me too.....clever hands the Chinese....

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Last night was the only chance I had to get to grips with stripping the BSF S60 since my original post and offers of advice.

1. Cylinder mounted in spring compressor, with my adaptor to fit snugly in the hole at the back of trigger block.
    2. Take up tension of spring sufficient that guide block screw comes away easy (12mm open ended spanner to loosen off) - the block holds the spring under tension.
    3. Easy off tension slowly so that the scope rail, trigger mechanism and guide block slides back at the same time and, dare I say it, until the sweet spot is reached where the scope rail becomes sufficiently loose to be lifted out of keyway by hand - no tapping necessary. If the spring compressor tension is released too much, the scope rail becomes tight again, because, releasing spring tension further, pushes the scope rail key against the end of the keyway. Just apply a little tension with spring compressor and hit the sweet spot again and out she comes!
    4. Once scope rail removed, release tension further; out comes the trigger mechanism, guide block, spring and piston.

Stripping job done!

Mine didn't quite work as easy as that! At first, after removing the block screw, and releasing tension - solid as a rock, no movement - what the.....?

Application of Plus Gas on scope rail, trigger block and everything else, spring compressor tensioning, releasing tension, nothing moving!!!

Unscrewed the tiny scope stop screw in desperation...., backing off spring compressor about 3mm and, with a piece of wood, tapping edge of trigger block close to cylinder backwards, tensioning and releasing spring compressor many times, it eventually released, bit by bit. Once apart, I could understand why...the grease, or whatever it is, covered everything from under the scope rail, cylinder, block, main spring...everywhere possible. It had the consistency of a varnish or shellac that was nearly dry???

The grease(?) does not dissolve readily, but, I'll get there! Looks like it has not been stripped for many years. Otherwise, in very good condition throughout; screw heads, etc....leather piston seal is excellent, as is the piston and cylinder.

Many thanks again for the help.

Best regards to all....
    Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for this thread. I received a BSF S60 in pretty good shape but wanted strip it down as it shot fairly sluggish.
    I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it apart. After much research, in very little material, I found this thread. My example was in the very same
    condition. I could take out the restraining bolt and nothing was happening. The grease had seized up the trigger unit where it could not move.
    I used brake cleaner and tightening the spring compressor back and forth until it released.
    Cleaned everything, lightly lubed and reassembled.
    Great shooting rifle. I need to get it over the chronograph but it seems to be hitting around 700fps.
    Thanks to the OP and all who responded for saving another classic.
    Pat Gray
    Houston, Texas USA

'Blast from the past'

So your saying the old grease had congealed and was holding the end block/trigger unit in place? Wow! Ive never heard of that one before and one to look out for in the future. Thank you.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Hi I.J. hope all is well....

Yes, I never came across it before either. The grease had become very much like dried varnish and lots of it. As per our members recent post, it was not a one off problem.....At least I did not dream it up!!!! Yes, those S60's being slim and light don't half pack a punch.

All the best....

Quote Originally Posted by pgritty View Post
    Just wanted to stop by and say thanks for this thread. I received a BSF S60 in pretty good shape but wanted strip it down as it shot fairly sluggish.
    I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it apart. After much research, in very little material, I found this thread. My example was in the very same
    condition. I could take out the restraining bolt and nothing was happening. The grease had seized up the trigger unit where it could not move.
    I used brake cleaner and tightening the spring compressor back and forth until it released.
    Cleaned everything, lightly lubed and reassembled.
    Great shooting rifle. I need to get it over the chronograph but it seems to be hitting around 700fps.
    Thanks to the OP and all who responded for saving another classic.
    Pat Gray
    Houston, Texas USA
    Well done Mr Gray, have fun with the BSF......

One of my two 55s has become unsafe to use in the last few years because while it will cock and ultimately fire, the trigger does not release reliably and sometimes needs 20+lbs of pressure to disengage. Think two fingers and “am I going to the gunsmith with a cocked gun to fix?”. It’s on my long list of things to sort out.

It appears that the old lubes used by BSF turn to glue over time. Maybe use of grease where they should have used oil?

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    'Blast from the past'

So your saying the old grease had congealed and was holding the end block/trigger unit in place? Wow! Ive never heard of that one before and one to look out for in the future. Thank you.

ATB
    Ian
    Ian, I have had it happen before but never to this extent. I could take the restraining bolt completely out and nothing was moving.
    Add that to the fact that I knew the scope rail would keep the trigger from coming out but not if that was what was keeping the trigger in the tube.
    Sites like this are a lifesaver.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by SRV1 View Post
    Well done Mr Gray, have fun with the BSF......
    Just Pat is fine.
    Again thank you for following through with your posts and helping a fellow air gunner from across the pond.

Looking around the site here I'm so jealous of the many fine air rifles you guys have available. We may have some slight advantage with no restrictions on power but your heritage guns are beautiful to me.
    Also the power thing probably hurts more than helps as the most readily available guns are so oversprung as to probably ruin the experience for newcomers to the sport.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    One of my two 55s has become unsafe to use in the last few years because while it will cock and ultimately fire, the trigger does not release reliably and sometimes needs 20+lbs of pressure to disengage. Think two fingers and “am I going to the gunsmith with a cocked gun to fix?”. It’s on my long list of things to sort out.

It appears that the old lubes used by BSF turn to glue over time. Maybe use of grease where they should have used oil?
    I rebuilt and restored an S70 a few years ago.
    The grease had turned yeallow and hard.
    It was that solid, that even with the maispring free to push the end block out, it remained in place due to the hard grease. I ended up melting the grease with a torch.

The trigger components were similarly caked in the hard yellow stuff and it took a couple of days soaking in in solvent to thoroughly get rid of it all.

Its not particular to BSF. An old TX I serviced some years ago had the same congealed stuff in the CD trigger unit.
    B.A.S.C. member