Thread: Scope prices.

Scope prices.

Being an 80's airgun fan I'm always looking at 80's scopes and their prices. I've always maintained that finding mint examples is becoming increasingly difficult, to the point they should make a premium. Well that was confirmed the other day.
    A Panorama 3-9x45 ao made near on £200 and a Kassnar 3-9x40 ao near on £80 with postage. The former probably mint with period mounts and the later probably 9.5 condition no mounts.

Both good scopes, the former being probably the better build of the two Jap made scopes. Not sure who made them as both were badged for the UK market.

Thankfully I was out of the running early on. Thankfully, because I have more scopes than rifles to put them on at present. In truth if you have a minty rifle that needs the correct period scope then the price is very secondary as finding one in the right condition, and one that matches, is the real problem.
    Used and marked scopes are still available. Quite a few broken reticule ones too. But minty ones are scarce. I've said it before but minty rifles are easily enough to find. Sticking a modern Hawk scope on a period rifle just doesn't do the rifle justice. When scopes were two thirds the price of the rifle its not surprising they were moved to the next rifle. Plus scopes weren't that robust to start with.

I know glass has improved no end and the richer we become the higher price we are willing to pay for best glass to put on our rifles, but shooting a period rifle is best done with a period scope even when the sight picture just isn't as sharp as our new kit. Looks like period scopes, well mint ones, aren't going to be cheap any more. I still have a couple that I want so I'll not be telling you To find the few I've kept I've had to chance buy quite a few and frankly its been a testing exercise and fairly costly. Heck, that's collecting for you and if it was that easy where would the fun be in that?

I to find period scopes becoming few and far between. I favour Tasco, especially the AG and FM range and were never a fan of the Kassnar range although I do have a Kassnar Beta3 model somewhere. These classic scopes are still available but you have to be quick or lucky (or both) to find a good, cheap example. Gone are the days of the Tasco 2-7x32AG for £50.
    It wouldn't be the first time, or last, that Ive bought a scope then a rifle to fit it.
    A good compromise, (and future classic? ) is the Simmons Pro Air series but even the prices of these are on the up.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Yes agree with both of you, I like the Optima scopes and have the following, 4x32WA, 3-9x40, 4x32 standard 30/30 , Optima Super Moonlighter 3-9x56 and the excellent Optima Gamekeeper 1-5x16 mini scope. the 4x32 wa is on my Norman May Vixen .22, 3-9x40 is on my Airsporter S series 1 .22, the 4x32 and the 3-9x40 sometimes "migrates " to my Hw35 Delux in .177, the Gamekeeper sits on my Webley Beeman C1 carbine in .22 and the 3-9x56 Super moonlighter sits on my Fwb Sport series 2 in .22 after refurbishment work. They all suit the relevent rifles and all do what it says on the box, very well indeed.

How could I forget the Optima range?
    I remember dribbling over their multi-page adverts in A.G.W. for scopes, HW35/55, FWB Sports rifles and their range of accessories including the various padded gun bags. When I formed Blackburn & District Outdoor Airgun Club in the early 80s (1980s ) almost everyone had a 'seconds' GC2 (?) padded gun bag which we got from Optima Bolton at a reduced rate.
    Their 4x43, 4x40 and 3-9 x40 were prevalent amongst the club members.
    I still have a few examples plus a couple of Optima 6-24x44 (Japanese) scopes which I used on my Daystate when I took up F.T. I also have a 2-7x32p/x Optima which, while marked 'Made In Japan' doesn't seem to have the same Hakko (?) quality optics.
    Maybe when Target Sports of Bolton took over the Optima name they sourced their scopes elsewhere.

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    a 'seconds' GC2 (?) padded gun bag which we got from Optima Bolton at a reduced rate...
    The GC2 was the slim version for those of us using open sights.

When funds allowed I remember filling out the small order form, enclosing a cheque for £16-95 (from my Dad, yes I did pay him, and no he didn't charge me a handling fee) and about a week later my 4x32 with standard cross hair arrived.

I still have it and optically it's on a par with modern mid-price glass. The scope also meant moving up to the GC3 to accomodate my new set up (standard HW35), FWB's were for the very rich, and exports for those who liked rubbing their wood , they likely resided in a GC4~real leather don't you know .

I'll do a nice big copy of that double page ad in a few minutes, standby... I'll make it BIG so you old boys can read it all.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________
    Big~ should fit on your screen
    Really big~ Won't fit on your screen all at once, but should be legible.
    Last edited by 18 Wheeler; 10-02-2014 at 06:53 PM.

hello

hello, what would a nikko sterling 1.5x6x24 red type dot/ring/ etc battery scope be worth and what date did these go on sale. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    I to find period scopes becoming few and far between. I favour Tasco, especially the AG and FM range and were never a fan of the Kassnar range although I do have a Kassnar Beta3 model somewhere. These classic scopes are still available but you have to be quick or lucky (or both) to find a good, cheap example. Gone are the days of the Tasco 2-7x32AG for £50.
    It wouldn't be the first time, or last, that Ive bought a scope then a rifle to fit it.
    A good compromise, (and future classic? ) is the Simmons Pro Air series but even the prices of these are on the up.

ATB
    Ian
    This is quite right but i recently bagged a brand new old stock Tasco Ag 2-7x32 AO for the princely some of £50.00.I was going through my local rfd,s stock & spotted a box i recognised i knew & hoped what was inside,it was sealed un opened sure enough made in Japan; "how much for this little old un i said",He says "make me an offer i can't refuse".Quickest fifty i've whipped out for a while.Lol

Quote Originally Posted by 18 Wheeler View Post
    The GC2 was the slim version for those of us using open sights.
    GC4 it was. I was getting confused with the fabled rifles. Old age and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by landymick View Post
    This is quite right but i recently bagged a brand new old stock Tasco Ag 2-7x32 AO for the princely some of £50.00.I was going through my local rfd,s stock & spotted a box i recognised i knew & hoped what was inside,it was sealed un opened sure enough made in Japan; "how much for this little old un i said",He says "make me an offer i can't refuse".Quickest fifty i've whipped out for a while.Lol
    What my dreams are made of.

ATB
    Ian

We all say Jap scopes, but who were the real makers behind all the UK branded Jap scopes?

The colour of the front glass should tell us but even they changed even for the same model scope over the years.

Think Kassnar was bought over by Garlands I believe years ago. I remember buying into "the big was better" and getting a big 56 Kassnar. Its was sold a month later as truthfully it wasn't much cop. In fact non of the big scopes were any much better than a 45 obj. Also a correctly parallaxed air gun range scope are better when, at no more than 6x, than say ones with front parallax to get a sharp image at x9 or above mag. BDC's should work but knowing your drop was faster and many of the scopes just didn't have the build quality for long term BDC dialing. What I'm saying is that all the "toys" scopes really at the mid range price bracket probably din't help much.

Please feel free to add any info you have as I think we all would be interested.
    Last edited by Muskett; 10-02-2014 at 08:00 PM.

There are still bargains to be had, I recently got a 4-12x32ao burris mini for £30 from a shooting / fishing shop. And I've picked up a tasco tr for £25 from the same shop in the past.

Most of their clientele obviously prefer mildots / nikko mountmasters etc instead of genuine quality scopes.

im thinking of putting up for sale a my Tasco 4x40 AG its in very good condition i would say its 9 or 10 on condition
    its been on top of my Air Arms Khamsin from when bought it new over 22 years ago..

as most of you know they have Crystal clear Japanese optics. i thinking of putting it up for £75 which i think is a good price

and i also have a Tasco 3-9x50 AG on my Theoben Sirocco Classic Carbine
    Which was also bought new over 25 years ago that im thinking of selling on too

and i will maybe putting up for sale the Air Arms Khamsin and Theoben Sirocco Classic Carbine

I was lucky enough for a mate of mine who had a Nikko Stirling Cadet 4x15 with Japanees glass which now I have fitted to a webley hawk mk2 now on the wall of my local RFD which is for sale
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance