Thread: ....finally home :)

....finally home :)

Well, I've read a lot, heard gems of advice from lots of helpful people and finally got the variation and collected the gun from the dealer. Hoping to get to have my first shoot tomorrow (...only a bit nervous!)

Here it is, my new Ruger Old Army....

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps9511856f.jpg

Ooooooh, nice and shiny metal. Enjoy it, nice looking ROA

Thumbs up big smile on your face tomorrow

when you listened to all the advice, when you have loaded and fired and felt that rush of excitement and sorted out your loads, started to get on paper and your grouping is getting closer, the quality of the piece is outstanding but your still looking to get those 2 inch groups at 25 yards that keep evading you then you may seek a little device as to how to pull in those 2 inch groupings then and only then look back on this thread and try a little tip from me a fellow ROA owner.
    Tip number 1: Try 12 grains of swiss No 2
    Tip number 2:……..well if your impressed with tip number one let me Know and i will give you tip number 2

Enjoy your shooting if you get chance to fire a round or two off in twilight or the dark too so its enthralling.

Happy shooting. Requiem :0)

12 grns sounds very light in anything bigger than a .36 but what works for one may not work for all.
    A small issue with ROA is that when the hammer is lowered from full cock to half cock, it is possible for the bolt to be engaged in the cylinder,the trigger drops into the half cock on the hammer and the hand drops into the next detent. locked up proper.
    A remedy is to remove the base pin and jiggle the cylinder untill the bolt is free.
    Seen the jam a blade in there and hope it doesn't do to much damage,also heard of strip the action.
    My suggestion doesn't cause damage or end the session early.
    Good luck and patience.

Congratulations on the ROA. They really are a lovely gun to use. 12 grns is a very light load even using Swiss but
    until you start experimenting with loads you won't know what your particular revolver likes. Both of mine seem to
    shoot well with 20grns of TS2 with two level .7cc scoops of semolina to fill the gap between powder and ball. Whatever
    loads you use be aware that black powder needs to be compressed slightly so make sure you use enough filler/wads
    to fill the gap. Don't worry about exact amounts but make sure theres no air gap. Obviously the more powder used
    the less filler/wads needed. Aim to have the ball just below the cylinder lip.
    If at first you can't hit the target board let alone the black don't give up, it takes time and practice to get good with
    any revolver. Start out with two hands if you need to but keep your fingers away from the cylinder, powder burns
    aint nice.
    Above all enjoy your Ruger and if in doubt ask. Let us know how you get on. Tim

hi,nice looking outfit,those rugers are the dogs danglies,may you get much enjoyment from it,cheers.greasemonkey
    more guns than you can shake a stick at!

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    when you listened to all the advice, when you have loaded and fired and felt that rush of excitement and sorted out your loads, started to get on paper and your grouping is getting closer, the quality of the piece is outstanding but your still looking to get those 2 inch groups at 25 yards that keep evading you then you may seek a little device as to how to pull in those 2 inch groupings then and only then look back on this thread and try a little tip from me a fellow ROA owner.
    Tip number 1: Try 12 grains of swiss No 2
    Tip number 2:……..well if your impressed with tip number one let me Know and i will give you tip number 2

Enjoy your shooting if you get chance to fire a round or two off in twilight or the dark too so its enthralling.

Happy shooting. Requiem :0)
    Please show us the results of shooting your ROA with 12gr of Swiss #2 - a few of us on muzzleloadingforum and gunboards are interested to see how you get on. Even better if you can pput it on Youtube for us.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Please show us the results of shooting your ROA with 12gr of Swiss #2 - a few of us on muzzleloadingforum and gunboards are interested to see how you get on. Even better if you can pput it on Youtube for us.

tac
    For sure,always happy to see sub 2 inch groups at 25yrds with a BP revolver of any sort,some say "no pics and it didn't happen".
    Six in the black with 25yrd rifle targets (3"?) are still a proper challenge for most,myself included.

Just had to post a quick message....

First time with the Ruger, with all the chatting and faffing about I actually only managed 14 shots in about an hour and a half, but oh, so much fun ...I'm still grinning

Started with 24gr of Triple 7, wad, ball and no grease - very pleased with the results. Managed about a 6" group (at 20yds), though it was shooting very high (about 2ft above poa) and I have started to bring it down (in the photo, the lower six shots were after dropping the rear sight by 10 clicks). Clean up after was easy & quite enjoyable - I suspect it might become a bit more of a chore after the novelty wears off

There's a video here http://youtu.be/EX6iKfznbs4 (sorry, I forgot to shoot the video 'sideways' )

...and a couple of photos:

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps682ad653.jpg

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/u...ps5c94ac34.jpg
    Last edited by robpark; 05-03-2014 at 01:22 AM. Reason: added photos

Nice one. I couldn't even hit the target card when i first got mine!! Tim

Great,all very sinister.every club should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by lostcat View Post
    Great,all very sinister.every club should have one.
    I'm lucky, I shoot equally badly with either hand. BTW, did I mention that ALL ROA I've ever seen and shot shoot high? There IS a high foresight, but I gave up trying to find one years ago. Mine is built up with stuff called JB Weld.

Nice shooting, too, especially for a noob to handgun shooting - keep at it, improvement WILL happen but it takes a lot of practice.

Can't help but notice that the backsight in the photo looks as though it's set for lobbing bullets at Zulus at 200 yards......I've just looked at mine, and it's cranked flat and I still shoot high. Won't your sight go down any further?

Nice indoor range there koff koff....

tac
    Last edited by tacfoley; 06-03-2014 at 08:02 AM.

What range?

Rob what indoor range were you shooting at there please?
    I'm not a million miles away from your location & wondered if it was close.
    I shoot at Wedgnock on the weekends mainly but am looking for somewhere closer to shoot weekday evenings also.
    I am quite certain that the argument you've already won in your head was entirely more satisfying to you than the one that is actually occurring.
    Member of WR&PC,BASC & UBC

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    I'm lucky, I shoot equally badly with either hand. BTW, did I mention that ALL ROA I've ever seen and shot shoot high? There IS a high foresight, but I gave up trying to find one years ago. Mine is built up with stuff called JB Weld.

Nice shooting, too, especially for a noob to handgun shooting - keep at it, improvement

Nice indoor range there koff koff....

tac
    Mine is a late model.cherry grips on XRN grip frame. It shoots POA at 25yrds around 10 clicks from lowest, still POA with 220 conical and 30grn with rear right down,front blade doesn't look any taller or out of place.
    Looks like you could drive a bus under that rear sight.

Range does look good.