Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another 'Improved mod D' with straight hand stock!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Hi Brian,

I think the main point is the guns were supplied with the 'Pistolhand' stock as standard, however the 'Straight hand' stock could be ordered at the time of purchase.If you didnt positively change to 'straighthand' stock, you got the 'Pistolhand' automatically. Most dealers would have probably sold 75% of their guns with the standard stock choice. So that probably explains why there seem to be so many more 'Pistolhand' stocks than 'Straighthand' stocks- even though the Straighthand were cheaper.

Lakey
    Hello Lakey,

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. I have never really understood until now why there seemed to be far more ""Pistol Hand" rifles than "Straight Hand" models.

What would you reckon the ratio between them is ?

Regards

Brian

Unhappy

Oh Dear

I'm not getting this now until the 24th of this month as the chap was bringing it up to Sheffield from London and forgot to pick it up from his father in laws

Crushed.....

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Hello Lakey,

Thanks for clearing that one up for me. I have never really understood until now why there seemed to be far more ""Pistol Hand" rifles than "Straight Hand" models.

What would you reckon the ratio between them is ?

Regards

Brian
    Brian, Lakey estimated a 3:1 ratio in his previous post. That seems as good an estimate as any to me. I suppose the best way available to narrow it down would be to use 'big data' techniques and tot up the ratios of straight- to pistol-hand stocks across the various pre-WW1 model galleries in the vintage BSA forum. I don't have the time, but a retired person might...
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Brian, Lakey estimated a 3:1 ratio in his previous post. That seems as good an estimate as any to me. I suppose the best way available to narrow it down would be to use 'big data' techniques and tot up the ratios of straight- to pistol-hand stocks across the various pre-WW1 model galleries in the vintage BSA forum. I don't have the time, but a retired person might...
    Hi Danny,

You offering me a job! Seriously though, with so much time on my hands I might just try and look a bit deeper into this, but 3:1 also sounds about right from my personal experience.

Having read Lakey's post again, he as you rightly say, estimates 75% of the rifles were sold with with standard "Pistol Hand" stocks and his along with your own, is probably as informed an opinion as you are likely to get.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 08-03-2014 at 05:32 PM.