Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What BP load do you use?

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    PS - I also shoot 10m match air pistol and rifle. I'm 69 years old today, and I've been shooting since I was six years old, starting with my dad's Colt M1911. Tennis elbow is the least of my worries at this stage in my life.

tac
    Not so far behind you myself at 63.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

Well, this Sunday I used my ROA for the first time with 24gr of TS2 a wonderwad which I soaked in lard followed by a .457 ball. No filler, no stuff on top.

Wasn't a great kick, but lots of flames and smoke.

I didn't have any chain fires, loading was amazingly easy.
    I removed the cylinder to load powder ( premeasured ) and insert the wads.
    Then loaded the cylinder back and loaded the balls then caps.

Easy peasey, non of the faffing about with stands and lazy loaders etc..

Only thing I will do different next time is use more powder!

Cleaning was incredibly easy with just a jag and bits of kitchen towel.

Mark

Uberti Walker.

40 grains Krank's Medium, gently tamp down flat with a close-cylinder-fit dowel. Then gently, fill over the powder with semolina powder to level with the top of cylinder. Then squeeze down a good soft 457 Round Ball to just level with the cylinder top.

When I wear my robot eyes, I really have done 1.5 inches at 25 yards for 5/6 - always seem to get 1 'flier' no matter what I do, no point fibbing.

That's good enough for what is a very powerful load. Semolina is the ticket, but not many indoor clubs allow it.

(robot eyes - a rubber iris stuck on my glasses with a small 1.5mm hole, without that, the sights and target are just blurs, eyesight after 40 sucks)

Quote Originally Posted by bfhb View Post
    Well, this Sunday I used my ROA for the first time with 24gr of TS2 a wonderwad which I soaked in lard followed by a .457 ball. No filler, no stuff on top.

Wasn't a great kick, but lots of flames and smoke.

I didn't have any chain fires, loading was amazingly easy.
    I removed the cylinder to load powder ( premeasured ) and insert the wads.
    Then loaded the cylinder back and loaded the balls then caps.

Easy peasey, non of the faffing about with stands and lazy loaders etc..

Only thing I will do different next time is use more powder!

Cleaning was incredibly easy with just a jag and bits of kitchen towel.

Mark
    Best you find an alternative to lard. It's offensive to Islam don't you know!
    [I]DesG
    Domani e troppo tardi

here's the link to the MLAGB winning loads,

http://www.mlagb.com/wp-content/uplo...2002-loads.pdf

ROA load of 20 gr Swiss no 2 as the Club doesn't like loud bangs, upsets the neighbours. Current average 88.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    What is 777 like to clean is there any difference in cleaning methods between BP and 777 is 777 as corrosive as Pyrodex.
    Can't speak for BP, as I've never used it. 777 seems slightly easier to clean than Pyrodex (but I only used Pyrodex once - about 30 loads). I can't speak from experience, but all I've heard is that Pyrodex is slightly more corrosive than 777 and both are worse than BP. I clean my ROA as soon as I'm home, about an hour after finishing shooting, with hot soapy water and it's straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    With 24gr of 777 what size pre-lubed wad and then what is the depth from face of cylinder to ball. Do you use grease to stop flash over.
    I've just done a bit of measuring - the empty chamber is approx 32mm deep, 24gr of 777 fills 16.5mm, the wad is 4mm and I measured a .457 ball at 11.65mm. The ball seats approx 2-3mm below the cylinder face (I'll double check that when I shoot tomorrow night) so everything is snug, with powder and wad compressed by a couple of mm. I don't use grease and have never had a flash over. I fill the chambers from pre-measured glass vials and make sure there are no loose powder grains anywhere else. It works great and is certainly more accurate that me

Shooting it is here.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX6iKfznbs4

Quote Originally Posted by jennings View Post

ROA load of 20 gr Swiss no 2 as the Club doesn't like loud bangs, upsets the neighbours. Current average 88.
    'Club doesn't like loud bangs upsets the neighbours'.

Without being totally offensive, I really don't know how to respond to that comment. Perhaps it's time to look for nice noisy gun club?

tac

ROA - 18gr 777, thick wad, .457 ball

Le Page - 12gr 777, thick wad, 5 thou lubed patch and .433 ball

Steve

PS My patches are just punched out of a large foam rubber mat.

Tac,
    unfortunately a fact of life, residential property being built closer and closer means restrictions on noise and as it's the nearest BP club it's something you have to live with. I do get to stoke it up once a month at Bisley to compensate though.

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Not so far behind you myself at 63.

Must be near the oldest at 73, still working. Army Cadets 1955. TA. long break family and then grandkids. Club shooting 2004 break due to family reasons 2013. Now back with BP and Bench rest. Now back on learning curve, but thank god eyesight still 100%, very good as I work on the pc most of the day.

happy birthday tac for yesterday

pietta ss .44 20gr by vol and semolina ,.451 an e45 lubed

pedersoli .36 15gr by vol and semolina .360 ball and patch

pietta.36 12gr by vol and semolina .375 ball and e45 lubed

pedersoli derringer .36 12gr by vol and semolina .360 ball

Quote Originally Posted by gtpkeeper View Post
    happy birthday tac for yesterday

pietta ss .44 20gr by vol and semolina ,.451 an e45 lubed

pedersoli .36 15gr by vol and semolina .360 ball and patch

pietta.36 12gr by vol and semolina .375 ball and e45 lubed

pedersoli derringer .36 12gr by vol and semolina .360 ball
    Thanks for the good wishes. Today it has 'set in' and I'm practicing feely grouchy.

tac

Quote Originally Posted by jennings View Post

There it is! Thanks for posting the link, and it seems that my memory is defective regarding revolver loads.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I use T7 only.
    In a standard ROA cylinder with the standard rammer and 3mm wad even 15grn by mass/24grn BP equivelent will leave airspace,poor ignition being the main side effect but safety should be a concern.
    I have a spout marked 28grn that gives 2mm compression but the accuracy isn't good,also get some creep that doesn't happen with well compressed lead.
    My best load is 15grn mass of T7 with a lubed wad and .457 RB,crunched down firmly in a press.
    Fillers are a problem on a damp indoor range as they grow mould.
    BP indoors is also a bit rich.
    I measure everything.
    Don't have much confidence in the numbers marked on spouts,they vary too much.

Today (another really nice day BTW) I thought I would try Tac's favoured load in my ROA. OK I am using .457 swaged balls rather than cast per Tac's advice, and I confess that I was somewhat sceptical, but I found that 25 gn of VLC actually worked rather well. Scored 90 dead with it, and not as punishing on the elbow as I had expected.

So Tac, you were right and I was wrong (not for the first time either).

It does seem to me that the ROA is particularly insensitive to load - perhaps this is why it is so popular.

It also seems to me that a lighter load works better when the weather is warmer, and a heavier one when it is cold. Anyone else get that feeling? This calls for further experimentation.
    TANSTAAFL