Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What BP load do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Turnup View Post
    Today (another really nice day BTW) I thought I would try Tac's favoured load in my ROA. OK I am using .457 swaged balls rather than cast per Tac's advice, and I confess that I was somewhat sceptical, but I found that 25 gn of VLC actually worked rather well. Scored 90 dead with it, and not as punishing on the elbow as I had expected.

So Tac, you were right and I was wrong (not for the first time either).

It does seem to me that the ROA is particularly insensitive to load - perhaps this is why it is so popular.

It also seems to me that a lighter load works better when the weather is warmer, and a heavier one when it is cold. Anyone else get that feeling? This calls for further experimentation.
    Glad it worked out for you - proof, indeed, that I don't talk out of my a$$ ALL the time. As for cast - v - swaged, it's a matter of rich -v - poor. Y'see, I'm a poor old part-disabled pensioner who can only afford to cast whereas you are undoubtedly some kind of bloated plutocrat who can easily afford to pay 25 times more than I do for the same thing, namely a little lead ball.

The lighter/heavier/warmer/cooler thing is not imaginary, BTW, it's a fact of life with shooting BP, especially rifle at long ranges - it's called RAD - relative air density, and has a tremendous effect on any longer shooting bullet, and here I'm talking about 900 - 1200 yards or so. 100gr of FFg on a cool day will feel totally different from that same load on a hot day, especially underneath a 500 or 600gr bullet.

tac, still not dead enough for someone, it seems.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    Glad it worked out for you - proof, indeed, that I don't talk out of my a$$ ALL the time. As for cast - v - swaged, it's a matter of rich -v - poor. Y'see, I'm a poor old part-disabled pensioner who can only afford to cast whereas you are undoubtedly some kind of bloated plutocrat who can easily afford to pay 25 times more than I do for the same thing, namely a little lead ball.

The lighter/heavier/warmer/cooler thing is not imaginary, BTW, it's a fact of life with shooting BP, especially rifle at long ranges - it's called RAD - relative air density, and has a tremendous effect on any longer shooting bullet, and here I'm talking about 900 - 1200 yards or so. 100gr of FFg on a cool day will feel totally different from that same load on a hot day, especially underneath a 500 or 600gr bullet.

tac, still not dead enough for someone, it seems.
    I tried cast balls in the ROA and it don't seem to like 'em. A chap at one of my clubs bought one of those hand swaging machines and turns them out for £11 per 100 so not much more than the £8 per 100 I pay for cast - extremely consistent in weight they are too. Can't be arsed to cast my own. OTOH, my Uberti Remington shoots much better with cast balls. Go figure.
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

I tried cast balls in the ROA and it don't seem to like 'em. A chap at one of my clubs bought one of those hand swaging machines and turns them out for £11 per 100 so not much more than the £8 per 100 I pay for cast - extremely consistent in weight they are too. Can't be arsed to cast my own. OTOH, my Uberti Remington shoots much better with cast balls. Go figure.
    That's 77 pounds in dog-money! Holy Shirt! I can cast 'em for fippence-bippence a hundred, maybe less.

Like I said, you guys are just MADE of money.

tac

Casting v buying. Its all part of the fun of shooting b/p.

Tried lots of different loads in the ROA including conicals/round, fillers, wads and widely varying powder loads.

Currently using 16 gr Swiss no2, thick wad and round ball which gives me the best consistency so far.

Can some kind person give me the name of a company that supplies Glass vials for powder loads. Have tried but they all seem to be the plastic ones. Had some proper glass ones some years ago but forgot the name of the supplier. Preload BP and preload semolina. Advice very appreciated.
    Anschutz 1913. .22lr - Big Nikko. TX200.177 Mk3 Ultimate
    Taurus 357 LBR. Taurus .22 LBR BSA .22 RF Martini International Mk3.
    Marlin 357 original JM.

Try Ampulla.co.uk for the glass vials.
    50 x2 ml vials with caps are just over £14 including postage.

Turnup is offline Dialling code‎: ‎01344
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    Can some kind person give me the name of a company that supplies Glass vials for powder loads. Have tried but they all seem to be the plastic ones. Had some proper glass ones some years ago but forgot the name of the supplier. Preload BP and preload semolina. Advice very appreciated.
    What's wrong with the plastic ones?
    True freedom includes the freedom to make mistakes or do foolish things and bear the consequences.
    TANSTAAFL

What's wrong with the plastic ones?
    I've found over many years that the plastic ones get 'static-y' and don't always allow the entire charge out without a lot of shaking and futzing around - glass does none of this.

tac

I got my glass vials from http://www.hsconline.co.uk/shop/catalog/bottles/clear
    If you want them in a box http://www.hsconline.co.uk/shop/catalog/storage about 3/4 down the page
    The box the vials come in is a ammo box, avoid vials with a shoulder, this can prevent all the powder from going in to the gun freely
    2 grams is about 30 grains
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Mac42 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC5mwOJ2Khg I made some of these paper cases up, conical superglued to a fag paper case with fine semolina and then 20grains of black, but I thought why bother with the glue, I then made up some with just the filler and powder (both ends twisted closed) by the way it has to be fine semolina or the bp grains will "flow through" and mix with the filler in the paper case
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

In my Colt Walker I use a .457 soft lead ball and 45 grains of Pyrodex which is the maximum amount I can get in a chamber using a lubricated wonder wad.