Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage airgun 'special offers'

Vintage airgun 'special offers'

Looking at the old catalogues, I don't think airgun manufacturers went in for eyecatching 'deals' in those days, although they did offer monthly payment terms.

If they had, what deals might they have offered?

'Buy a Webley Mk2 Service and get a free extra barrel'

'Buy a 1930s Diana mod 30 and get a free Hitler Youth badge thrown in'*

* See this
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest
    Garvin, the offer "32 Reichsmark" (instead of 35 RM) was made for members of the NSDAP (no badge included )

best regards, Jochen

Quote Originally Posted by aimless View Post
    Garvin, the offer "32 Reichsmark" (instead of 35 RM) was made for members of the NSDAP (no badge included )

best regards, Jochen
    Seriously, Jochen?!

Is that what "Sonderpreis..." etc means?

A kind of Nazi Party 'club discount', you might say.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

aimless Guest
    Garvin,
    YES, I think so, because the rifle was probably (as the Webley Service in UK or some Haenel in) used in 3. Reich for the "Hitlerjugend" to get military shooting-experience.

Garvin,
    YES, I think so, because the rifle was probably (as the Webley Service in UK or some Haenel in) used in 3. Reich for the "Hitlerjugend" to get military shooting-experience.
    sounds very plausable.

Yes, I suppose encouraging young German lads to get into military-type things was an aim of the Nazis even as early as 1935.

I was reading a timeline of WW2 for 1935 earlier, and it was interesting to see the kind of things that were happening in the mid-30s: developing and building military aircraft, battleships and so on. Re-armament in preparation for WW2 was building up for years before the 'shooting match' kicked off in '39.

The UK and Germany even signed a pact in 1935 agreeing that the German navy would be no more than 35% as big as the Royal Navy, a re-negotiation of the German disarmament arrangements made just after WW1 ended.

The US and Japan were involved in the arms race too.

Note to Jochen: the Webley Service was never actually officially used by the British armed forces.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Yes, I suppose encouraging young German lads to get into military-type things was an aim of the Nazis even as early as 1935.

I was reading a timeline of WW2 for 1935 earlier, and it was interesting to see the kind of things that were happening in the mid-30s: developing and building military aircraft, battleships and so on. Re-armament in preparation for WW2 was building up for years before the 'shooting match' kicked off in '39.

The UK and Germany even signed a pact in 1935 agreeing that the German navy would be no more than 35% as big as the Royal Navy, a re-negotiation of the German disarmament arrangements made just after WW1 ended.

The US and Japan were involved in the arms race too.

Note to Jochen: the Webley Service was never actually officially used by the British armed forces.
    it was way to expensive

....it was interesting to see the kind of things that were happening in the mid-30s: developing and building military aircraft, battleships and so on. Re-armament in preparation for WW2 was building up for years before the 'shooting match' kicked off in '39.
    I believe they weren't allowed to develop a peace-time air force, so immediately embarked on forming the largest glider pilot training programme in europe!

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    I believe they weren't allowed to develop a peace-time air force, so immediately embarked on forming the largest glider pilot training programme in europe!
    Yes, make do until they could, teach the basics and gain experience, typicaly ( to my mind -German) practicality. And yes no one in the allied control commissions ever saw the danger or if they did ever raised concerns. Imagine if instead of wriinging his hands Chamberlinn had some balls and attacked Germaney has it invaded Poland along with the equally in timid French. A powerfull air attack on German Border Airfeilds may have started a revolt aginsyt the Nazis and the world may have avioded the tradegy of a 2nd European Civil War and its associated attrocities

Garvin,
    We had similar with our Boy Scouts, I remember a Webley advert for the mark1 pistol, and it was a group of Boy Scouts, one with the pistol in the aim and a few others and a tent in the background. Baden Powell and Lord Roberts had always been keen on improving marksmanship in the population,

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    We had similar with our Boy Scouts, I remember a Webley advert for the mark1 pistol, and it was a group of Boy Scouts, one with the pistol in the aim and a few others and a tent in the background. Baden Powell and Lord Roberts had always been keen on improving marksmanship in the population,
    speeds up the training of good troops .

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    wasn't that the whole thinking behind the advent of the BSA/Lincoln Jeffries underlever (and all their derivatives) AND the introduction of Bell Target as a pub and club sport?

'Buy a 1930s Diana mod 30 and get a free Hitler Youth badge thrown in'*
    in which case Garvin 'old fruit - to take up on your opening premise - BSA should have run:

"...and with every BSA Lincoln Jeffries Patent Air Rifle,
    we offer membership to your nearest Bell Target Club
    (The sport that is sweeping the nation)
    AND a one-way ticket to the trenches (the sport that's sweeping europe)..."

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    in which case Garvin 'old fruit - to take up on your opening premise - BSA should have run:

"...and with every BSA Lincoln Jeffries Patent Air Rifle,
    we offer membership to your nearest Bell Target Club
    (The sport that is sweeping the nation)
    AND a one-way ticket to the trenches (the sport that's sweeping europe)..."
    Very good!

I think it was the clubs that came first and the LJ/BSA rifles must have both capitalised on the craze and fuelled it.

Interesting cuttings from newspapers at the time here, including several about how the air rifle business was booming on the back of the growth of clubs:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/670442/thread/1400963524

I suppose you have to wonder where the British army would have been without air rifle training, since success in WW1 partly came down to accurate individual shooting... plus a lot of other ordnance.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Very good!

I think it was the clubs that came first and the LJ/BSA rifles must have both capitalised on the craze and fuelled it.

Interesting cuttings from newspapers at the time here, including several about how the air rifle business was booming on the back of the growth of clubs:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/670442/thread/1400963524

I suppose you have to wonder where the British army would have been without air rifle training, since success in WW1 partly came down to accurate individual shooting... plus a lot of other ordnance.
    and we was paying Uncle Sam a premium price for the privalidge has well wasnt we long live big bussiness, god bless america I am beeing ironic by the way!