Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W 586/686 or CP99 RWS C225

S&W 586/686 or CP99 RWS C225

Hi,

I'm after a 586 or 686 but someone has offered me a choice of a Walther CP99 and an RWS C225. Just wondered what the general consensus is of these pistols? Has the 586 not been superseded by better models as it appears to have been around a long time? These CO2 guns have become popular at my club for practical pistol. There's plenty of info on the CP99 but find very little on the RWS. Haven't got much money spare so I'd rather get it right first time. Hope someone can advise.

The S&W is the best of the three.
    Also has the best resale value.

Both the other models have been around for years as well.

The 99 is underwhelming with annoying Co2 loading.
    The RWS is a right handful with a long trigger reach.
    Only thing in their favour is that they are cheaper than the Smith.

I have a lot of Smiths and none of the other two!

Having said that try them out.
    A lot of people find the Smith too big and others don't like revolvers.

I would agree with gingernuts sentiments on these pistols. The Smith is a well made revolver, and has many options on barrel length, but I am one of those who prefer autos, even though all the mechanisms of them work as a revolver. The flat shape and size seems more comfortable to me. You do not mention the CP88 which is very popular in all its formats and seems to give less problems. Second one on my list would be the 1911 with grip safety mod.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 10-07-2015 at 09:06 AM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Looks like my decision will be between the 586 or a CP88. I've now eliminated the CP99 and RWS from my list. Second hand prices are surprisingly strong for both. Then there's the issue of barrel length. Anyone own both? Funny how these hobbies can be so stressful.

CP99 single action involves pulling the mock slide back, a novelty at first...but not for long.
    CP88 has a good following, extras available (walnut grips, longer 'competition' barrel/compensator, fully adjustable sights...expensive).
    S&W 586 very nice. Six inch barrel seems most popular (looks, fps, long sight base). I have also been looking for
    a four inch version but not seen any used ones.
    You can get a new pistol from Germany for the price of a used one over here.

Yeah out of those stated i would go for the 586 - 686 or the CP88, i have the umarex 1911A1, the Umarex beretta 92fs and the Umarex CP99, but i have shot all of the umarex guns..

'Out of the box' The 586-686 are the best built out the lot and in most cases last the longest and hold value well, but each have their pros and cons.. In my opinion followed by beretta 92fs, then the cp88 then the CP99 then the 1911A1

the 586-686 has the lowest shot count out of all the guns, giving around 50 full power/consistently accurate shots, But is the most powerful out of the bunch, while the others will give you around 70-80, depending on weather and how fast your shooting..

The 586-686 has fully adjustable rear sights so windage and elevation adjustable, and it has interchangeable front sights too, all the others just have windage adjustable rear sights.

I FOUND the 686 to be most accurate very closely followed by the umarex beretta 92fs,, but the 92fs, the 1911, and the cp88 tend to all shoot a little high so you have to adjust your sight picture accordingly..

The 586-686 has the best trigger out the bunch, then in second goes to the 92fs and the CP88 then the 1911A1 and the CP99 trigger comes last..

Now for me this is personal preference, but i have never been a fan of the rotary magazine on the 586-686 my eyes get drawn to it and i feel looks wise it lets the gun down, but thats the ONLY reason i do not own one myself..

Hope this helps a bit..
    ATB, Marc..
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

What everyone else has said

I currently have a 586, a CP88, a CP99 and a C225.

I much prefer the feel in the hand of the semi-auto style guns. And I dislike rubber grips, and finger grooves, which the 586 has both of.

But the 586 has two more shots per clip, better trigger (especially in DA but often in SA), better sights, very good build quality, and better accuracy.

Of the semi-auto lookalikes, you'll get differing opinions, but the CP88 tends to get the most plaudits.

The 99 fits the hand very well, but the sights are crude to the point of stupidity, and their adjustments are fiddly; the DA trigger is usually pretty awful (the SA is pretty good).

C225 is oddly appealing to me, but as a shooting proposition the CP88 is better (same sights, worse trigger in both modes, 1/2" shorter barrel so noiser and less powerful).

Less experience with the 1911 and Beretta. The 1911 ought to be a nice gun, but I have a mental block about a 1911 with a DA trigger. The Beretta probably is too, but I've never rated the real gun, and it is a big old lump set alongside, say, a CP88.

So, buy either a 5/686 or a CP88. Then wait and buy the other one. When you get bored, buy something else. But do NOT sell the 586/CP88, because you'll regret it. That's my advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    So, buy either a 5/686 or a CP88. Then wait and buy the other one. When you get bored, buy something else. But do NOT sell the 586/CP88, because you'll regret it. That's my advice.
    ^^^^^Quite Right! And yes the Umerex 92fs is indeed a fair old lump, but very nice with dark walnut grips.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    ^^^^^Quite Right! And yes the Umerex 92fs is indeed a fair old lump, but very nice with dark walnut grips.
    Sure is, the umarex beretta 92fs is my best pellet pistol..

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...%20new%202.jpg
    Some of my favourite guns in. You collection, Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Custom Build Project - Colt SAA .45 & many more..

Thank to everyone who's replied. Off to see a s/h 586 and a CP88 later. The 586 has both the 4" and 6" barrels. Probably only ever use the 6". Didn't think asking price was too bad until I had a look at the SWS site in Germany and priced it all up. Now wondering whether to buy new from Germany?

I would agree with most of the above. The Smith & Wesson is a superb pistol. I thought I would mention the reason you won't find much info on the RWS is that it is now marketed by Umarex as the Hamereli S25 or S26. They are very good value at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by matt 1966 View Post
    I would agree with most of the above. The Smith & Wesson is a superb pistol. I thought I would mention the reason you won't find much info on the RWS is that it is now marketed by Umarex as the Hamereli S25 or S26. They are very good value at the moment.
    The C225 was later sold as the "Reck Police" and the Hammerli P26. Only the markings are different.

The Hammerli S26 is close to, but not identical to the C225. It has a different CO2 loading system, a different grip a bit closer in size and shape to that of the SIG 226, and a slightly longer slide and barrel, also like the SIG 226. But the same poor trigger. And, in one of those marketing decisions that only make sense in Umarex HQ, they made it with a black frame and a shiny stainless-look slide, not the all-over military grey/black of the real 226, which would surely have been more appealing to a lot of buyers.

They are indeed good value because Umarex stopped making them last year and dumped them on the market (if I find a cheap one, I'll probably buy it).

Just bought the Umarex 586 and generally, I like it a lot. One problem though is that I have had to set the rear sight on max elevation and max windage to shoot to point of aim at around 10 metres. Out of the box, it was shooting way left and way low. This is quite disappointing as obviously I have no sight adjustment left. As the pistol comes with 3 fore sights, I was going to lower one of those to give me some elevation adjustment. I can't see from an external examination though why it shoots so far left.

I could use a red dot etc , but I really wanted to shoot this with open sights. I'm wondering separately whether the genuine S&W rear sight will fit so plastic could be replaced by metal. Don't know how accurate a copy the Umarex is though.

Steve.

Shouldn't do that.
    New or secondhand?

As gingernut stated - they should not do that.

Try taking the outer barrel sleeve off using the plastic tool,then check that the barrel is tight.Put sleeve back on and hand tighten. How does it group?