Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Addict to Anorak - Work in Progress...

Addict to Anorak - Work in Progress...

A while ago, I posted a mail re my ongoing addiction to airguns. Since then, another couple of Webley pistols have arrived, & today the Gordon Bruce book on same - which I am reading with the same rapt attention as a Stephen King bestseller.

I've already been diagnosed with Airsporteritus - what next, a dose of the Walthers?

Bru
    Webley Mk3 x2, Falcon & Junior rifles, HW35x2, AirSporter x2, Gold Star, Meteors x2, Diana 25. SMK B19, Webley Senior, Premier, Hurricane x 2, Tempest, Dan Wesson 8", Crosman 3576, Legends PO8.

Aigunitess

Welcome to the club. The only treatment is the acquisition of a 'new to you' item but one is never enough!

John

Wait until you get hold of you first 1970/80 German Match rifle....there is no return then!

Charles

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by laverdabru View Post
    A while ago, I posted a mail re my ongoing addiction to airguns. Since then, another couple of Webley pistols have arrived, & today the Gordon Bruce book on same - which I am reading with the same rapt attention as a Stephen King bestseller.

I've already been diagnosed with Airsporteritus - what next, a dose of the Walthers?

Bru
    I'm a long term 'sufferer' - there is no known cure!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

There are worse things to be addicted to! My dentist has two light aircraft (and the amount he charges, he can afford it). But every time he goes up in one, it costs him hundreds of pounds...

IMO old airguns are excellent value. Beautiful examples of industrial production methods long gone in this modern high impact plastics and composites age, and fun to use to boot! And they'll cost you just pennies to fuel.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Its easy to give up collecting airguns.

Ive done it dozens of times.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Addict to Anorak - Work in progress ...

Hi,

Charles wrote: "Wait until you get hold of you first 1970/80 German Match rifle....there is no return then!"

Absolutely! I was not going to buy any more air rifles - but now have made an exception for any older German match rifles that appear for sale at a reasonable price! They are wonderful things and need caring homes.

Jim.

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Airsporterman View Post
    I'm a long term 'sufferer' - there is no known cure!

ASM

I would prefer to just stay in denial!! I am not an airgun collector, I just happen to have more than I can count!
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by Wadhill1 View Post
    Wait until you get hold of you first 1970/80 German Match rifle....there is no return then!

Charles
    Three so far, although mine stretch from 1966 to 82. I have to say though, after 20+ years of owning airguns and six of owning classics, I am content with what I have. I don't crave more. Really.

Now I am thinking more along the lines of tidying and restoring what I already have.

Matt

Airsporterman is offline Makes Scrooge look Happy and Generous!
    Moving target, nr Blyth, God's Northumberland
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    There are worse things to be addicted to!
    IMO old airguns are excellent value. Beautiful examples of industrial production methods long gone in this modern high impact plastics and composites age, and fun to use to boot! And they'll cost you just pennies to fuel.
    Totally bang on mate!

ASM
    I am a Man of La Northumberlandia, a true Knight and spend my days on my Quest (my duty nay privilege!) and fighting dragons and unbeatable foe, to right the unrightable wrongs, to bear with unbearable sorrow and dreaming my impossible dreams.

I'm afraid you're suffering with GAS!! (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) And unfortunately there is no known cure

Don't ask me how I know

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Here are some of the factors that draw me to air gun's and their aquisition as compared to other pastimes,
    Air guns are cheap compared to light aircraft (tho once purchased its only the cost of fuel to keep it in the air, depending what aircraft it is) old motorbikes, vintage cars etc, an air gun can be stripped down on the dining room table, parts are cheap generally, and you can keep it in a cupboard, there is a lot of satisfaction to be had from restoring an old gun to its former glory, and at the end of all that you can take it out and enjoy shooting it and it also gives you right of passage onto this wonderful forum where i can read about your glorious obsession.. and they're an investment..

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by NTSOG View Post
    Hi,

Charles wrote: "Wait until you get hold of you first 1970/80 German Match rifle....there is no return then!"

Absolutely! I was not going to buy any more air rifles - but now have made an exception for any older German match rifles that appear for sale at a reasonable price! They are wonderful things and need caring homes.

Jim.

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
    Shame your not in the uk as i got a fwb 300s which is 1970' era i will be selling soon.bet that terrible affliction airgunitis got you twitching now. Terrible affliction with no known antidote :-)

Quote Originally Posted by buttloaves View Post
    Here are some of the factors that draw me to air gun's and their aquisition as compared to other pastimes,
    Air guns are cheap compared to light aircraft (tho once purchased its only the cost of fuel to keep it in the air, depending what aircraft it is) old motorbikes, vintage cars etc, an air gun can be stripped down on the dining room table, parts are cheap generally, and you can keep it in a cupboard, there is a lot of satisfaction to be had from restoring an old gun to its former glory, and at the end of all that you can take it out and enjoy shooting it and it also gives you right of passage onto this wonderful forum where i can read about your glorious obsession.. and they're an investment..
    How very true! Can't argue with any of that. Not sure I'd want to find a cure really

John