Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Spring/Summer MPL Postal Competition.

More Entries In Today.

It is very nice to see some more entries for the 2016 Spring/Summer MPL coming in today - the first time we have had as many enter the rifle competition as the pistol competition.

Keep the entries coming in please everyone - the more the merrier !

Shooting in the MPL is the best excuse you will have to shoot your classic air pistol or air rifle at least one a month
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Stand for supported pistol

I picked up my speaker stand today which I'll be modifying as a shooting stand. For anyone else considering this there are plenty of choices on the bay for around £15-£20 with postage included which look suitable.

I picked mine up at a local music shop, I've had it out of the box and I'm really chuffed with it. It's beautifully stable and a doddle to adjust the height.

I'll update with pics once I've got my support mounted.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyTMan; 08-01-2016 at 05:53 PM.

Just found this thread

Am I too late for the MPL league pm with details please
    Might be interested in the supported shoot as well
    Thanks Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    Thanks Craig
    As far as I'm aware you can join any time as long as you can get up to date by the end of the competition. I'm sure entering now will be no problem at all.

All the details you need should be on the first page of this thread.

Thanks Craig
    Hi Craig,

You are not too late - you can join the MPL competition at any time (as Andy as advised) and everything you need to know about the competition is on display at the start of this thread.

If you would like to get your entry (or entries) fee paid by bank transfer and let me have a PM or email with your postal address I will get your entry packs(s) away to you on Monday.

Looking forward to having you shoot with us!

Bob.

Best rifle for MPL

Has anyone got any ideas on the best choice of rifle for the MPL Spring or SSP?

Xdriver,

For me, the attraction of the MPL is that I can shoot rifles that would not normally be considered for target use - e.g I shot the Autumn/Winter rifle rounds with my ancient Original 35 (albeit it very badly ).

Almost any 0.177" rifle will shoot well for the MPL - the SSPs and recoil-less springers are 'easier' to shoot, and these kosher 'target' rifles are more accurate, but I find it highly satisfying to shoot the old 'twangers'

For the Spring/Summer MPL, I will be using a 1974 Webley Mk3 Supertarget, and see how that goes.

At the end of the day, you can choose effectively what you like (as long as it is 'MPL Legal')

Have fun

Best regards

Russ

Suppose my criteria would be :
    Low powered - smoother and will not damage my pellet catcher too much, I wrecked the "niceness" of my Original 35 by pushing it to the limit and regretted it.
    Well made - so older stuff or target stuff. also easy to work on and get to know.
    Inexpensive - so you can start a collection as one is never going to be enough once you start! And so you will not wince too much as you saw 2" or more off the butt to get it to fit you better

Best cheers
    George

George,

Very nicely put

Have fun !

Best regards

Russ

I've just used a Webley Mark 3 for Jan's rifle event. I may use my 1920s BSA CS another month as it's nice to give them an airing.

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

John,

I will be zeroing in the 1974 Mk3 Supertarget later this afternoon, and will be having a go at Jan's rifle cards tomorrow.

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Shoot What Makes You Feel the Best

Some of us that also shoot with the more "serious" (non MPL legal) PCP match pistols and rifles have been hugely disappointed and confused when we have noticed that we can often score better with our MPL equivalents even though they are usually much older, not as sophisticated, and worth nothing like as much cash either

It also sometimes makes us wonder why we bother with the posh stuff.

To make things even worse we usually enjoy shooting the MPL rifles and pistols a lot more as well as getting a good feeling and more satisfaction from them - even when things do not go to plan.

Some of my worst scores achieved with my oldest and possibly crudest of MPL pistols ( and rifles) have given me the most pleasure and satisfaction and that is one of the reasons why I have often changed what I choose to use from one month to another.

This is clearly not the way to get the best scores - but it is the way that I get the most smiles and for me the smile beat the scores every time

New entry

Entry paid by PayPal (Fee included) details PM'd

Another one for ya on Pistol
    Last edited by nige346; 10-01-2016 at 03:19 PM.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Wondering????

Where can this be shot does it have to be at a gun club or can this be shot at home
    Just need clarification before I commit to it ( pistol MPL )
    Thanks Craig

Where can this be shot does it have to be at a gun club or can this be shot at home
    Just need clarification before I commit to it ( pistol MPL )
    Thanks Craig
    This series was originated so that it could be shot at home - just like the original NARPA postal series all those years ago.

That is to not to say that you cannot shoot it at a club (if you are fortunate enough to be a member of a club that still caters for 6 yard shooting) but most MPL competitors shoot from home and often in the most unlikely of places!