Thread: marksman pistol .. valuation

marksman pistol .. valuation

hi guys, before some wise guy says chuck it in the bin, can some knowledgable person tell me the value of this marksman ,boxed, instructions with original darts manual says 1952 model ,all metal pistol even the grips ,stamped morton h harris ,california, excellent condition,shoots fine..

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2dmuvbh4.jpg pics here

Quote Originally Posted by tradingnow2010 View Post
    hi guys, before some wise guy says chuck it in the bin, can some knowledgable person tell me the value of this marksman ,boxed, instructions with original darts manual says 1952 model ,all metal pistol even the grips ,stamped morton h harris ,california, excellent condition,shoots fine..
    Is it like this one?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Is it like this one?

no looks like an older box.. now added pics

ccdjg is offline Airgun Alchemist, Collector and Scribe
    This is a nice example of an early Harris Marksman pistol before the design was upgraded from single shot to repeater. The first single shot version had a patchbox on the grip as shown in Danny’s link and was believed to have been made only in 1955, and this single shot version without the patchbox to have been made after then, somewhere between 1956 and 1960.
    However, as pointed out to me by Danny, the literature in your box states "1952 model" which puts the cat among the pigeons as far as dating these guns goes. Clearly more research needs to be done on the early history of these pistols.

These single shot models were given the designation MP , whereas the much more common repeaters were called MPR models.

There seems to have been two types of box for the MP pistols, one as shown in http://www.network54.com/Forum/68145...is+Marksman+MP
    and your more colourful one, which I think is the better of the two as it is very evocative of the 1950’s.

These single shot pistols are quite collectible, probably more so in the States than here, especially if boxed and with all the associated accessories, and I would value yours at about £60-70 in the UK market.
    Last edited by ccdjg; 12-01-2016 at 11:23 PM.

For the most part, Marksman pistols are generally not considered very collectable in the US. I believe that the latest Blue Book of Airguns has a section on the Marksman using the input of one of the few Marksman collectors in the US. Note that the reason that this individual collects the Marksman is that he specializes in airgun produced in the Los Angeles area.

I like this Marksman box

'cos it is signed by Randolph Scott! ;-)
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...lkmod.jpg.html

Quote Originally Posted by DT Fletcher View Post
    For the most part, Marksman pistols are generally not considered very collectable in the US. I believe that the latest Blue Book of Airguns has a section on the Marksman using the input of one of the few Marksman collectors in the US. Note that the reason that this individual collects the Marksman is that he specializes in airgun produced in the Los Angeles area.
    They were certainly considered collectable in Trinidad 34 years ago - their Customs people 'collected' mine when I disembarked a ship with it in my baggage!!!
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor1 View Post
    Trev, that must be one of the rarest Marksman boxes, presumably representing Morton Harris's first venture into licensing his pistol to another manufacturer some time in the late 50's.

Do you have the gun that once resided inside the box? It would be interesting to know if the gun was rebranded with the Healthways name or if it still had the
    Morton Harris name cast into the r.h.s. of the frame.

Thanks,
    John

Useful for bringing down ducks on the wing also, Trev, according to that box lid. Maybe you could throw the pistol at the duck and if you were lucky, knock it out... You'd then have to use a proper airgun to dispatch it humanely, though.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Just a plain old single-shot Morton Harris one John.

http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...7wbat.jpg.html

This box has got me thinking.What if it didn't have a well-fitting Marksman in it? Might it have had a Wright Jr type pistol.The same "legend' would suit it,"pellets,BBs and darts from the one nozzle"??????I got this from an auction so don't know it's life story.....
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...ofdrz.jpg.html

Having consulted my Encyclopedia of SPRING AIR PISTOLS I know the above conjecture to be nonsense! The "signed by the stars" box belongs to the gun in it!Trev
    Last edited by trevor1; 14-01-2016 at 12:19 AM.

A 1949(Popular Mechanics)advert for the Marksman..

found(to my shame)at cinedux.com....
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...t.png.html?o=0

found(to my shame)at cinedux.com....
    http://s864.photobucket.com/user/cin...t.png.html?o=0
    Brilliant Trev! Obviously the history needs to be rewritten.

We now know that the date of introduction was at least 1949, some 6 years earlier than generally thought. Although it is difficult to make out, the advert illustration does seem to show the first patchbox model, as would be expected. Presumably this model persisted for two years and then the patchbox was dropped and it was then referred to as the “1952 Model”.

Interestingly the advertised gun quotes a price of $5 postage included, and the box for my first model example is marked $4.95. I have never seen a box like the one on the advert though.

We also now know that the guns that were sold under licence by Healthways were still marked with the Morton H. Harris name.

I have started a related thread on the AVG forum so with any luck more information will be forthcoming. There's always something new to learn (thankfully)!

JBJ has sorted things quite a bit!

I think his 1950 flyer with both Marksman and Healthways mention,plus the "endorsed by the stars",promoting the second version of the MP tells a lot.As this pistol is called "new" I guess "old" was the 1949 version(with ammo holder).The unusual box in the flyer has a cut-out portion.It would be a display one,I suppose and be ultra-rare.
    JB Jenkins has a very impressive collection of airgun literature,particularly stuff from California and generally info on USA -made air guns.Great stuff!Trev
    PS the flyer says "jobbers solicited",explaining why Marksman pistols were available through surplus stores and the like so soon after they reached the market.I'd love a good scan of that flyer.Dean has a 1957 one at his photo site-one that was sent to Whyte Lab with a pistol to be tested.

JB Jenkins has a very impressive collection of airgun literature,particularly stuff from California and generally info on USA -made air guns.Great stuff!Trev
    In case anyone is unsure, Trev is referring to the current thread on the AVG website. Yes, a very impressive collection of early Marksman pistols, boxes and literature. This has helped rewrite the previously accepted history of this air pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by ccdjg View Post
    In case anyone is unsure, Trev is referring to the current thread on the AVG website. Yes, a very impressive collection of early Marksman pistols, boxes and literature. This has helped rewrite the previously accepted history of this air pistol.
    Jon has kindly allowed me to reproduce his pics here too.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery