Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gamo Falcon/Centre/Target?

Gamo Falcon/Centre/Target?

Just bought a Falcon, interesting older pistol.

There is no trigger adjustment, can anyone advise how effective the adjustment is on the Gamo Target Pistol? I might take a look inside the Falcon to see if there is scope for improvent (suspect not - seems to be a basic set up).

Looking at the parts diagram on Chambers and Bobsairguns site, seems that most parts are common to all three models.

The Centre has an adjustable rake on the (more comfortable) grip, plus click adjustable elevation screw; the trigger appears to be the same as the Falcon (non adjustable).

The Target has a plastic match grip with adjustable palm shelf, different (improved?) rear sights, and some form of trigger adjustment (assume lighter trigger?).

Thank You.
    Last edited by Aimstraight; 14-01-2016 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Question highlighted.

The trigger on the falcon IS adjustable. But be VERY careful.. i tried to lighten mine the other week and it makes the pistol very dangerous... be sure to safely bump test it aft each adjustment. I found very minor adjustments was the way to go.. i adjusted it down to where i liked it which proved the most dangerous lol... then tweaked it up and up until the thing stopped firing when i bashed it with my fist.
    Its now pretty much back where it was and not the nice light predictible let off that i would like.
    So i guesd it means practice practice practice with this one.
    Donald

Thanks for the warning. I thought the huge screw near the trigger might be something to do with the assembly of the pistol! It is simply listed as a 'screw' on the parts list, so not giving much away.

BTW did they originally come with a leather piston seal fitted (requiring periodic oiling)? I read this about the Centre pistol on an old thread on here. The parts list shows a replacement seal, but it does not look like it is leather.

Being gamo its the ubiquitous 25mm one. you can fit a TX seal or go for the red seal from customairseals australia.. they post quickly and the seals are top quality.
    Ill bet you the hole in a donut that when you take the seal out, its a sort of hard orangey brown see through effort.. real bad stuff...
    Donald

Thanks again, this gives me an insight of what to expect when I look inside, and the availability of alternative parts when required

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    Just bought a Falcon, interesting older pistol.
    Nice find. The 'thinking man's' spring piston pistol.

Unless it's .22

A good tip when you get a new gun is to go to chambers and look up the drawing.. get the part number for the seal and then search that part number. It will return every gun that uses that seal.. you might have had one of the ither ones and are familiar with its insides... then you at least know what the piston and sear arrangement looks like and what seals may be available for it
    Donald

Good tip from thisisdonald, I hadn't thought of that.

Fractionally off topic, but I think Aimstraight is right to say the Center has a (much) more comfortable grip.

I have had a Falcon for 20+ years, and have, I think, pretty normal medium/large adult bloke hands.

I have no problem with the often-criticised grips on a Nemesis, or a Scorpion. I can cope with the too-thin grips on a Sheridan EB9 or an older Webley. A Crosman 1377 is fine. A Diana LP5G or a Webley Hurricane is very nice. But I cannot get on with the Falcon grip at all. If I hold it naturally centered in the thumb web, it is way off to the side. If I hold it with first pad on the trigger, it is way off to the other side. Is it just me and my weird freaky hands?

Anyway, compared to what you'd pay now for a Chinese springy plinker, the Falcon, and especially the Center, are bargains. Half the price and better in any regard that matters.

No, it's not just you geezer! The grip on the Falcon does have an unusual shape. I do not have large hands, but find that there is not enough room for the web of the hand, as a result the pistol sits high in the hand and the fleshy lower part of my hand extends a little below the grip. It does not feel very secure in the hand, however sure I will get used to it. Agreed it is a good find with an interesting action.

Quote Originally Posted by Aimstraight View Post
    No, it's not just you geezer! The grip on the Falcon does have an unusual shape. I do not have large hands, but find that there is not enough room for the web of the hand, as a result the pistol sits high in the hand and the fleshy lower part of my hand extends a little below the grip. It does not feel very secure in the hand, however sure I will get used to it. Agreed it is a good find with an interesting action.
    Phew! Glad it's not just me! Good luck with it.

A common problem I have is too short a length of pull for my finger.. I like to get the pad of my first finger on the blade without having to bend my finger too much..
    the first gun that comes to mind that is useless is the tx200.. far too short. I had a hold of a brocock grand prix s6 yesterday, it was the same... I dont seem to have that poblem with the tempest or the falcon. the scorpion is a wee bit small as well, funnily enough , as the overall pistol is a beast ... I too quite like the nemesis.. the blocky grips allow me to get a good hold on it in such a way that its comfortable.
    Im saying all this as if the comfort of fit affects my groups.. ha ha.. Im talking purely comfort here.. Ive never actually compared them. I will soon. The best improvement of my groups came recently when I read some american pistol shooting websites. I changed to center-top style of aiming and started focussing on my front sight.. wow.. marked improvement with my .22 tempest.. easily getting sub inch at 10m
    Donald

Thumbs up

Well I gave the Falcon a few test shots - good power and quite smooth action. Removed the two front and one rear screw and separated the action from the grip (which holds the entire trigger group). Give it a general clean and lube and altered the trigger adjustment. On the Falcon, this is limited to sear engagement only. All seemed good (visually ample sear engagement)....until it was re-united with the action and cocked. Exactly as Donald said, it was unstable, so I had to adjust for more positive sear engagement.

I am liking this kicker pistol with it's fixed barrel, under lever action and efficient pop up loading system (with double breach seals). I soon became accustomed to the grip. Now for lots of practice & trigger control

I only tried hobbys as its the only 177 pairgun and only 177 pellets i have.
    Let me know if you test a couple of pellets.. ive heard that flat headed geko are quite good
    Donald

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdonald View Post
    I only tried hobbys as its the only 177 pairgun and only 177 pellets i have.
    Let me know if you test a couple of pellets.. ive heard that flat headed geko are quite good
    Will do, I have lots of Hobby and Geco. Hobby fit perfectly in the pop out mag of the Falcon. The Geco do have a smaller diameter (head or skirt); they were the ONLY pellets that would fit a Turkish Tempest I once had.

I bought a near minter target version last weekend, and have been trying it out today at the range for the first time.
    Nice thing to shoot and cannot understand why I have not heard more about them.
    You two must have weird hands, as my grips are so good I want to copy them in walnut for my Brocock grand prix PCP.
    I think I will try a red dot on it to see how it gets on at distances further than 10 yards. The trigger is a bit long in the travel but ok for reasonable accuracy.
    BASC