Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

Where to start?

I am keen to start a collection of 'old' air rifles. I have not got a clue on where to start or what to pay.

I am looking for top condition rifles and I intend to use them.

What would you experts recommend? How do you get on for spares etc? what is a good type to start with?

John

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    I am keen to start a collection of 'old' air rifles. I have not got a clue on where to start or what to pay.

I am looking for top condition rifles and I intend to use them.

What would you experts recommend? How do you get on for spares etc? what is a good type to start with?

John
    John I would definitely recommend old BSAs as shooters and you should get at least one of these.

You should read Lakey's guide to buying BSAs before you start. Generally the most sought after BSAs are pre-1914 rifles, and these are hard to find in top condition, although if internal condition is more important than external, you've got a good chance of finding good examples.

There are lots of post-1919 BSAs around, and you should be able to find decent ones fairly quickly.

Have a good read through this site to get some facts about BSAs. Good luck.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think you would have to start by defining what you mean by 'Old Air Rifles' - what have you seen or know about that's tickling the collector bone?

Also, just me mind, if you get an old gun I think you should get it back in working order & use it in anger occasionally, otherwise we could just all have carefully painted Airfix models of the things, maybe adapted to fire polythene slugs...

I like the cut of your jib though, go for it I say.

Quote Originally Posted by oliver13 View Post
    I think you would have to start by defining what you mean by 'Old Air Rifles' - what have you seen or know about that's tickling the collector bone?

Also, just me mind, if you get an old gun I think you should get it back in working order & use it in anger occasionally, otherwise we could just all have carefully painted Airfix models of the things, maybe adapted to fire polythene slugs...

I like the cut of your jib though, go for it I say.

Good points oliver13.

Old Air Rifles for me would be pre WW2. I defiantly will be using them

John )

Unframed Dave is offline World pork pie juggling champion three years straight
    It's damned addictive, one limiting factor will be space. I'm incredibly lucky that my wife humours me. I've got a room similar in size to a good bedroom. Initially I started with just about anything, but pretty quickly decided that my thing was variety, so the weird and wonderful are my favourites. As I get better examples some of the less intriguing go. Pistols are an excellent alternative if space is an issue, I use a plan chest and it holds about sixty or so with quite a small footprint. One thing I've stopped is buying excess pcps, they all seem to develop leaks if they don't get used regularly. My favourites will always be the oldest examples, pre victoriana and way beyond, but serious money gets spent when you get hooked on them. I'll never know if they've made good investments, the kids will get them when I'm done. Another niche area I enjoy are military trainers, this is quite a small section and can make for an interesting and impressive collection.

Anything I can use is a bonus, I get bored real easy so if I can have a dozen shots through a dozen guns, that's perfect. If I get to cast the ammo and have to work out how to use them even better.

Best advice though is to get yourself along to the boinger bash and later on in the year, Melbourn, well worth it. I'm taking one or two to mick's to sell and others will as well I'm sure.

Dave
    Smell my cheese

Pre-war (both pre-WW1 and WW2) BSAs is good advice: historically important guns, high quality, shoot well, not hard to find, made in lots of versions, most parts quite readily available, and an active and supportive bunch of collectors.

But you might not be drawn to them in the first place. Or you might start collecting them, but over time discover you prefer Airsporters, or Webley Services, or match rifles, or whatever. So is there anything you already feel a particular affinity for? If so, start there.

By way of illustration, I do like the older stuff, but really what I like are the better-quality guns from when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s, in particular Webleys, and "Original" Dianas. Which probably relates to my first two airguns being a Webley and an "Original".

Living a bit SW of Birmingham, you are in prime territory to find old guns from classified ads or family/friends/workmates. There's a sort of band across England that starts South of Birmingham and extends to N Yorkshire that is "airgun country".

General thoughts:

Pre-internet, collecting was mostly legwork, contacts, and chance. Now, you can do a lot online. This forum is great. And there are other forums, based both here and the US that have lots of info and pics.

Most dealers don't do much with older guns, and a couple (naming no names) who do ask silly prices. One I can recommend is Protek Supplies, miles from you in Bognor, but do check out their website for an idea of sensible prices (and they do some useful spares).

The big spares suppliers are Chambers in Scotland and John Knibbs/Countrystore. And Waffencenter Gotha for German bits.

It's worth checking out the catalogues from big auctioneers like Holts and Southams, if not to buy then just to get a better sense of what's out there. And if you have a local general auctioneer, sign up with them: many general sales have an older airgun or two in them, often selling quite cheaply.

Download and read "Airgun Collector" mag off this part of the site. And think about an AGW subscription just for John Milewski's articles (he's an active member here, btw).

Hope this helps, happy collecting, and best of luck!!

Thanks for the advice folks

I would like to start off with an example from BSA and one from Webley. However if something comes along that catches my eye........

I do like the looks of the Lincoln Jeffries.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    And think about an AGW subscription just for John Milewski's articles (he's an active member here, btw).
    Good advice, and not forgetting John Atkins' articles in Air Gunner. Both mags have digital-only subscriptions that are very reasonable value because they include access to back copies (ie. lots of monthly articles about collectables!) dating back to 2009.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Read read and read some more. Theres plenty of old books on airguns on abebooks.
    Start a list of guns you fancy. Be unselective. The more you read, the more you will either want or unwant(?) Guns on your list.
    Dont restrict yourself to the age of the gun. Its interesting when you pickup a gun from the 60s or 70s and can see in its lines and build, its lineage. BSAs are clear examples of improving innovations.
    When i get a hankering for a gun it is usually an unusual feature that im drawn to... then again, if someone hands you a very nice mk1 airsporter and all the while its been bottom of your list - it tends to expedite a reshuffle!
    Have fun with your collection.
    I can heartily recommend mk1 or mk2 airsporter for grin inducing fun. Any of the steel webley pistols will also bring a smile..
    Good luck with your search.. i hope you bag some bargains!
    Donald

edbear2 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks

I would like to start off with an example from BSA and one from Webley. However if something comes along that catches my eye........

I do like the looks of the Lincoln Jeffries.

John
    Hi John, It is always worth asking at local shops if they have any oldies, or ringing round...I have had more than one good gun like this locally,

(and a couple only 5 miles from Kiddy, in that shop in the high street set back from the river within air gun range of the funfair ).

Whilst they won't be cheap, they can be fairly priced, all the ones I bought were, and you can always haggle....But always try and buy complete guns as parts are hard to find and getting pricy these days.

Good luck out there,

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Good advice, and not forgetting John Atkins' articles in Air Gunner. Both mags have digital-only subscriptions that are very reasonable value because they include access to back copies (ie. lots of monthly articles about collectables!) dating back to 2009.
    I really ought to try to try AG again, maybe the digital option. I went off it decades ago, because it seemed like a "dumbed down" version of AGW for "da kidz", full of dashes and exclamation marks and one sentence paragraphs.

"This new rifle is amazing! And I bet keen airgunners will be adding them to their arsenals!

"It's a man-size macho gun, with up-to-the-minute styling - and it's as powerful as the law allows without a licence!.

"It is made of real metal and wood, but also space-age plastics, just like astronauts use!

"It fires its full-power shots with a loud healthy crack!

"And it has sights that you can adjust - not only up and down but also side-to-side to guarantee sniper-style accuracy!"

OK, I am taking the Mick, but I think you know what I mean. I'm sure it's much better now.

Apologies for sidetrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I really ought to try to try AG again, maybe the digital option. I went off it decades ago, because it seemed like a "dumbed down" version of AGW for "da kidz", full of dashes and exclamation marks and one sentence paragraphs.

"This new rifle is amazing! And I bet keen airgunners will be adding them to their arsenals!

"It's a man-size macho gun, with up-to-the-minute styling - and it's as powerful as the law allows without a licence!.

"It is made of real metal and wood, but also space-age plastics, just like astronauts use!

"It fires its full-power shots with a loud healthy crack!

"And it has sights that you can adjust - not only up and down but also side-to-side to guarantee sniper-style accuracy!"

OK, I am taking the Mick, but I think you know what I mean. I'm sure it's much better now.

Apologies for sidetrack.

This can't be applied to John Atkins' work though, which has been consistently excellent for over 30 years. Snappy writing for 'da yoof' seems to infect both mags these days... but then I only read the collectors' articles, which are penned by proper writers.

Check this out, it's amazing value from a collector's point of view.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post

This can't be applied to John Atkins' work though, which has been consistently excellent for over 30 years. Snappy writing for 'da yoof' seems to infect both mags these days... but then I only read the collectors' articles, which are penned by proper writers.

Check this out, it's amazing value from a collector's point of view.
    Agreed. And that is good value. I may well sign up.

Also we had the counterpoint of the usual AG "yoof" stuff with the late, great G Cardew.

I have a September 1986 AG by my side on my (re) reading pile and just flicked through it. Atkins, Cardew, Ian Law on the Fiocchi P10, John Darling. Maybe better than I remembered.
    Last edited by Geezer; 18-01-2016 at 09:38 PM. Reason: accuracy

And, to stop derailing this thread, to the OP, who wants pre-WW2 things:

- BSAs.

- Or Webley Services.

- Or both.

- Or Haenels/Dianas.

- Or all of the above.

But probably BSAs. You won't lose out on them if you decide they're not your thing.

Cool Crikey,you "Euros" are a rather parochial.....

how about some old air guns from the USA?