Thread: 're. Recent AGW Open Options.

're. Recent AGW Open Options.

In the latest AGW there was a cracking article on using open sights, written by John Milewski. On the first page there is a pic of Mrs Milewski using an exceptional old air rifle. It would appear to be a combination of an early BSA and a set of SMLE wood work/furniture.
    Are there any more pictures!!!! Please ... I love my beezers, but the first rifle I ever shot -properly- was a Smelly.

John and Jo M wouldn't happen to be John and Josie ???

Been away for awhile, long-term health issues can be a proper bitch sometimes.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Isn't that just the Military Pattern BSA? Garvin will be along in a moment to enlighten us ....

If you scroll down there is an advert for one, you only need eighty shillings and a time-machine ...

https://bsamuseum.wordpress.com/page-6/

John M indeed = John and Josie.

I think the rifle in question is not a real (hen's teeth) Military pattern, but a shed-built BSA action in SMLE furniture frankengun. The Mil pattern was a full-length long LE, not an SMLE.

Nice gun. I am sure John and Josie will enlighten us further!

That picture set me thinking about putting a Haenel 310 action inside a No4 Lee-Enfield "chassis".....

As Geezer says, a bsa action in wood rather than a military pattern.
    I've already been pricing up mk4 woodwork and associated furniture.
    Which then got me thinking about an airsporter in a K98 mauser stock.

Busted!

The air rifle is indeed an unofficial modification, which I believe was made by a skilled metalwork teacher during the 1970s. It consists of an early Lincoln within an SMLE stock, although if you look closely you may notice the butt is from a No 4. The rifle shoots at a consistent 6 ft lbs and other than a new spring, the only modification I have made is to the sights. The maker had made a replica tangent rearsight but it was not as precise as an original BSA turret sight, so I simply replaced it with a BSA. The rifle actually weighs slightly more than an unloaded SMLE and accepts the standard 1907 pattern bayonet. Josie has entered vintage events with it, as she has a habit of 'borrowing' some of my rifles and scored well enough to feature in the prize list. The rifle is certainly a head turner and I'll have to take her down to the club again one of these days. As requested, here are a couple of photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q2danrm4i...csg7VOCsa?dl=0

As coincidence has it, I took my Mauser K98k stocked Haenel 310 to Bisley last week and that also attracted lots of attention. A visitor said he preferred it to the vintage BSAs he was shown! I have a review of this rifle written up, which I hope to submit later this year, as modifying Haenel 310s is apparently a popular activity on the continent.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Quote Originally Posted by Josie & John View Post
    Busted!

The air rifle is indeed an unofficial modification, which I believe was made by a skilled metalwork teacher during the 1970s. It consists of an early Lincoln within an SMLE stock, although if you look closely you may notice the butt is from a No 4. The rifle shoots at a consistent 6 ft lbs and other than a new spring, the only modification I have made is to the sights. The maker had made a replica tangent rearsight but it was not as precise as an original BSA turret sight, so I simply replaced it with a BSA. The rifle actually weighs slightly more than an unloaded SMLE and accepts the standard 1907 pattern bayonet. Josie has entered vintage events with it, as she has a habit of 'borrowing' some of my rifles and scored well enough to feature in the prize list. The rifle is certainly a head turner and I'll have to take her down to the club again one of these days. As requested, here are a couple of photos.

As coincidence has it, I took my Mauser K98k stocked Haenel 310 to Bisley last week and that also attracted lots of attention. A visitor said he preferred it to the vintage BSAs he was shown! I have a review of this rifle written up, which I hope to submit later this year, as modifying Haenel 310s is apparently a popular activity on the continent.

Kind regards,

John
    Hello John,

I too thought the BSA / SMLE conversion looked really cool. I recall a company local to me who incorporated cheap sidelever air rifle actions made in China into Lee Enfield No4 stocks.

They looked OK, not nearly as nice as the BSA / SMLE combination.

Look forward to reading future articles on these interesting conversions.

Regards

Brian
    Last edited by Abasmajor; 19-01-2016 at 06:52 PM.

Busted!

Kind regards,

John
    Well I have to say it looks fantastic - even better than a Military Pattern maybe.

I haven't read the article yet, although I will, of course. What year was the base rifle? And can I repost these pics in the vintage BSA forum, please?
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Busted!

Kind regards,

John
    John
    That is a fine looking rifle. Lovely patina too. I reckon there could be a market for such conversions. I'd have one! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    Well I have to say it looks fantastic - even better than a Military Pattern maybe.

I haven't read the article yet, although I will, of course. What year was the base rifle? And can I repost these pics in the vintage BSA forum, please?
    Hi Garvin,

I'm lucky enough to own a Mil Pat and as nice as it is, I must confess to preferring the SMLE. It is a dream to shoot as well as looking the part. It is impossible to say what year the base rifle was made as the markings including the SN have long gone. The tap is a long one but that does not really help as BSA tended to fit these obsolete parts to Lincolns long after they introduced newer versions on BSAs. The good thing is a crisp Lincoln was not butchered but a well used rifle has been 'reborn'.

Of course you can repost the pics on the forum. I did feature the rifle in Airgun World some years ago, when I asked a friendly re-enactor in WW1 kit to pose with it. Not sure if I kept the original pics though - I have a feeling I used 35 mm!

Hi Nick,
    I believe the SMLE conversion was one of six, the others apparently consisted of No 4s and some scaled down replicas - Anybody know if any others have survived?

I think a No 5 Jungle Carbine would look good - perhaps using an Original 50 action with cut down barrel? The short cocking lever may well fit into the sporter style stock on the No 5. I know the rifles Abasmajor means and was presented with the Moisin Nagant conversion for my 40th birthday. I then had the internals tuned and it is about the smoothest rifle I own.

Kind regards,

John
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.

Thanks John, it really does look the part. IMHO looks much nicer than a mil pattern.

I've already started pricing parts. But might be easier to start with a deactivated original, after all they've already ruined it...but you get all the bits and bobs in one go. I've got an old friend who's involved with re-enactment supply, mainly vehicles, but maybe he can help me out.:-)

Just goes to show that there's nothing much that hasn't already been done.

I still think an airsporter would blend beautifully in to a K98... that lovely trigger block...mmm.