Quote Originally Posted by Walnut Stox View Post
There's an iPhone app called Chairgun which is excellent for calculating trajectory and force over distance. It allows you to input pellet weight, muzzle energy and wind conditions. I recommend it. Long story short, my UK-legal .22 calibre 12 foot-pound Air Arms Pro Sport (underlever spring gun) still has about 5 foot-pounds of power at 100 yards. That would not only puncture paper but also bare flesh, so you still need to be careful.

For an illustration of what power remains after 200 yards, I point you towards this fun video where a shooter hits an exploding target at 218 yards with the same 12 foot-pound spring rifle that I have, the British-made Air Arms Pro Sport. He's using the .177 calibre version, which obviously has a flatter trajectory, but he still has to aim about six feet above the target. When it hits, the pellet still has sufficient energy to set off the reactive target. As you Americans would say, "enjoy!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QaCvOgRIjY
I realize it is camera tricks that are being done, but still not a good example to show someone down range of someone holding a rifle, even if it is only an empty pellet gun.
And yes a hit at a relatively such long range is impressive with a spring powered air rifle. I do not know if that particular air gun was target quality gun or not. The main character reminds me of my gunsmith, except his accent is from northern Mississippi.

I will check out that program: iPhone app called Chairgun and see if there is one for an IBM type of computer.