Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
Timewell, your MKIII tap lever groove fits over a small stud projecting from the breech block on the R/H side; this locates the tap in the open and closed positions, if the pin is missing the tap and lever can just rotate full circle; on the guns with the 'orrible' lever the pin remains but the lever has two small studs that do the same location job. If you want any parts [ even actual taps] I have all the relevant bits except the steel lever; but not sure if posting to your location is viable. The loading tap fitting is not easy to be correct; they were initally fitted with two very special reamers, until almost in line [using plug gauges] and then hand lapped in as per an engine valve, until a bore size plug ensured an in line fit. So an exact fit - by - post is pretty much impossible. If the tap is only slightly out of line there is no accuracy; if you only want a collectible it's not so bad. Contact me on [email] ray210645@yahoo.co.uk if you think I can be of any more help.
ATVB
abellringer
Hi abellringer,
Thanks for the info. I do have the stud fitted to stop the lever travel, but the groove in the back of the lever has two hemispherical recesses, one at each end of the groove, as if a spring loaded ball could drop in and give a satisfying click! Probably too expensive for production? I had thought of doing a mod but the pin is firmly attached so I decided to leave things standard. Fortunately the tap is a good air-tight fit and rotates smoothly, so no problems there. I use the gun for target shooting and with the Parker Hale sights it is very accurate.
Regards