Thread: Webley MK3 loading tap lever

Thumbs up Webley MK3 loading tap lever

Webley MK3 with a missing loading tap, tap lever and plate.
    This is the one with the spot welded scope rail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps1xcyaqzr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psc176q47f.jpg

It is a clean example which I would have had myself except that a friend had his eye there first. Actually, I was third in line; gentlemans' code and all that.
    Don't ask me how the loading tap went missing, only God might know

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps7fluenii.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...pst8tvxhtx.jpg

The intention is to replicate the originals, especially that gawd awful tap lever. .
    Would anyone be able to supply clear images and dimensions of the original items?
    The tap itself is not absolutely necessary but images that show the method of connection, scale etc will be appreciated.

Cheers
    Last edited by slow_runner; 16-04-2016 at 07:47 AM.

Loading tap

A couple of photos of my Webley Mk III Supertarget tap components, - HERE - the small spring loaded ball is fitted in the centre of the tap to preload it, there was nothing in the back of the tap lever, despite the groove.

Regards
    Last edited by timewell48; 16-04-2016 at 11:17 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by timewell48 View Post
    A couple of photos of my Webley Mk III Supertarget tap components, - HERE - the small spring loaded ball is fitted in the centre of the tap to preload it, there was nothing in the back of the tap lever, despite the groove.
    Regards
    Thanks for the images timewell, they are ideal.
    Do you know the dimension of the square drive and the securing machine screw?
    I need to do some more digging to determine when Webley adopted that 'orrible utility style tap lever. Whatever possessed them to adopt that design .
    ....hopefully it was after the production of this mk3?

Square is 0.2" by my measure. Have sent message for other info.
    P.S. What Serial No.?
    Last edited by deejayuu; 17-04-2016 at 08:17 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by deejayuu View Post
    Square is 0.2" by my measure. Have sent message for other info.
    Good man. I have sent you an email

Cheers.

It appears that Webley introduced the squared off sintered tap lever around April 1966, so as deejayuu says if you check your serial number you may be able to determine the type of lever originally fitted. John Knibbs have stock of the "orrible" lever!

I have some of the later 'square' tap levers available @£17.50 posted within the UK.
    I agree, they are nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the earlier types.

lever fixing screw head dia. 0.375" thread 0.136 and at a guess 4 BA can't check pitch today but 0.7mm is very close so leaning 4BA.

Thumbs up A BIG thank you

Thanks for coming through with all your help.
    Although we haven't been able to pin the manufacture date down to a specific, it would appear that this Webley is mid 1964, so only real steel for this one.
    The 'orrible tap lever isn't an option

What is another word for sintered?
    My Premier has a latch made from that process. Needless to say it has broken and then been brazed by a previous owner and only just fulfills its function; near on completely stuffed

Timewell, your MKIII tap lever groove fits over a small stud projecting from the breech block on the R/H side; this locates the tap in the open and closed positions, if the pin is missing the tap and lever can just rotate full circle; on the guns with the 'orrible' lever the pin remains but the lever has two small studs that do the same location job. If you want any parts [ even actual taps] I have all the relevant bits except the steel lever; but not sure if posting to your location is viable. The loading tap fitting is not easy to be correct; they were initally fitted with two very special reamers, until almost in line [using plug gauges] and then hand lapped in as per an engine valve, until a bore size plug ensured an in line fit. So an exact fit - by - post is pretty much impossible. If the tap is only slightly out of line there is no accuracy; if you only want a collectible it's not so bad. Contact me on [email] ray210645@yahoo.co.uk if you think I can be of any more help.
    ATVB
    abellringer
    Last edited by abellringer; 18-04-2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: typo's

Quote Originally Posted by abellringer View Post
    Timewell, your MKIII tap lever groove fits over a small stud projecting from the breech block on the R/H side; this locates the tap in the open and closed positions, if the pin is missing the tap and lever can just rotate full circle; on the guns with the 'orrible' lever the pin remains but the lever has two small studs that do the same location job. If you want any parts [ even actual taps] I have all the relevant bits except the steel lever; but not sure if posting to your location is viable. The loading tap fitting is not easy to be correct; they were initally fitted with two very special reamers, until almost in line [using plug gauges] and then hand lapped in as per an engine valve, until a bore size plug ensured an in line fit. So an exact fit - by - post is pretty much impossible. If the tap is only slightly out of line there is no accuracy; if you only want a collectible it's not so bad. Contact me on [email] ray210645@yahoo.co.uk if you think I can be of any more help.
    ATVB
    abellringer
    Hi abellringer,
    Thanks for the info. I do have the stud fitted to stop the lever travel, but the groove in the back of the lever has two hemispherical recesses, one at each end of the groove, as if a spring loaded ball could drop in and give a satisfying click! Probably too expensive for production? I had thought of doing a mod but the pin is firmly attached so I decided to leave things standard. Fortunately the tap is a good air-tight fit and rotates smoothly, so no problems there. I use the gun for target shooting and with the Parker Hale sights it is very accurate.
    Regards

Thumbs up Up and runing once again

I have been recuperating under the tender care of the hospital nursing staff.
    What a great crew, all of them (almost )

It has been a while and now is as good a time to catch up with threads.

The Webley is up and operating again. The tap cock was made last week and works well.
    From the image it appears to be offset to the load point but rest assured, it is in perfect alignment with the bore.
    With the gracious assistance of a good friend, a tap lever was provided that completed the fix.
    Now fitted with a synthetic seal it is shooting in the low 600s and over the shed range of 7 metres is pin-point accurate.
    I had a shoot of it last Friday and IMO, while the trigger would take some getting used to and the cocking effort feels a bit heavy, it is a great air rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psodbi0vd3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psoa5owdbr.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...psvwovvy3g.jpg

Great result. Well done

Tap lever

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I have some of the later 'square' tap levers available @£17.50 posted within the UK.
    I agree, they are nowhere near as aesthetically pleasing as the earlier types.
    Hello I am new to this forum stuff a long shot but can you point me in the right direction for said tap lever cheers