Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which budget Target pistol to start me off?

Which budget Target pistol to start me off?

I'm after advice on 10m target pistols. As a teenager I shot an Original 6g at the local club ( very much a friendly level). Over the last 35 years, the 6g was traded in for an HW35, replaced by a BSA lightning and finally a BSA Scorpion multi shot.
    I only plink, but started getting bored with the BSA,so I recently bought a HW45 Blackstar. It is certainly challenging to shoot and I've not yet remotely mastered it, but it is fun! I now fancy getting something which would be a little more forgiving of my shooting skills and I hope to find time to join a club next year.
    My budget is limited to around £400. I do have the air bottle for the BSA, so no additional cost for a tank. I'm also not selling the BSA or HW45 to cover it -sold too many friends over the years.
    -I've been looking at FAS 6004 ( under powered?) Baikal 46m ( front heavy?), Alpha Project( over budget and limited shots).
    - I've also noticed the TAU Brno and Rohm twin master ( mixed reviews)
    -Obviously there are also second hand high end pistols, but not many coming down to my budget unless I go vintage ( back to the Original!)

What do you all think is the best way to go? ( remember I can't check out sales until after 5 posts...)

Well there is a FAS 604 kit up in the sales section right now for £290.

Ad' text here:

FAS604 in very nice clean condition,

Comes with 3 different size balance weights, sight extender, tools, manual, FAS Stickers (unused), FAS embroidered patch (unused) and case (originally Pardini) with combination lock.

Nice complete kit, shoots lovely

£290

Will add pics ASAP
    The 604 is a great pistol but look for a Mk2 with the anatomical and adjustable grip. You also want one that has been recently re-sealed and had the felt wiper replaced to ensure good lube distribution internally.
    If the seals are degraded, power drops and the pistol fails to punch clean holes at 10m. The pistol I sold on was giving about 370 fps after a reseal. The FAS 6004, the new version has had a poor take-up due to
    bad reviews from reported quality issues.

muzzie is offline Wants something a little...special
    Hi and welcome...

I also have just found the pleasure of target pistols..I bought the Aeron Brno 96, as someone was giving it away!!
    I'm not the right person to ask about which ones to go for, but what I can tell you is just put up a few more posts...ask any questions you want...what gun ...which pellet...you'll soon have the right amount of posts.

Good luck

I'll watch with interest as I also would like to know what people say.
    This is the crisis I knew had to come, Distroying the balance Id kept.
    Turning around to the next set of lives, Wondering what will come next .

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector 71 View Post
    Well there is a FAS 604 kit up in the sales section right now for £290.

Ad' text here:

The 604 is a great pistol but look for a Mk2 with the anatomical and adjustable grip. You also want one that has been recently re-sealed and had the felt wiper replaced to ensure good lube distribution internally.
    If the seals are degraded, power drops and the pistol fails to punch clean holes at 10m. The pistol I sold on was giving about 370 fps after a reseal. The FAS 6004, the new version has had a poor take-up due to
    bad reviews from reported quality issues.

This one shoots superbly and has a medium anatomical right hand grip with adjustable shelf, will be adding some pics but need to stop using it first , it even has the sight extender and 3 sizes of barrel weights, I took it in PX but it really is a good un, if I end up keeping it I'll not be disappointed. If it does sell someone's gonna get a great kit to start 10mtr with
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

For your budget you are limited and will be hard pushed to find a PCP match pistol, I did sell a Walther LP300 for exactly that but it was in all honesty underpriced to help a local shooter get started.

SSP
    FAS604, great pistol. Well balanced and excellent trigger, As accurate as anything else out there, they also hold value well.

CO2
    Tau 7s are good pistols for the money, if it's used check the barrel for rust, if lubed correctly they are normally ok, they have a good trigger and are superbly accurate,
    Early CO2 pistols also worth considering especially Walther CP2, CP1 etc, FWBs now starting to get collector prices

PCP
    Morini 162 (fixed cylinder) can occasionally be found for less than £500 but ensure cylinder is ok, also uses old type batteries that can be a pain to get hold of and has a less reliable trigger than later models.
    Early Steyr LP1s occasionally come up but rare for less than £500 and you'll need to be quick if one does. Great pistol if you do find one.

ATB
    Nige
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

I'm about to pick up a Steyr LP1 precharge for £350. Try a wanted ad and see what turns up :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mikehill View Post
    I'm about to pick up a Steyr LP1 precharge for £350. Try a wanted ad and see what turns up :-)
    Now that is a bargain, well done
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,

Will pm you now about a great starter pistol that I think may be for sale by someone I dealt with today.

It's starting to look like the 46 is the way to start out, even though I'm torn, because the 604 looks so.... elegant. But if the consensus is that without perfect seals, it's underpowered, as a starter, I need something reliable . My lack of consistency and style can't afford to risk it! Hopefully I can get one second hand in good nic and improve to the point of justifying something more exotic. Thanks for the input , it does help having a varied perspective, especially when money's tight and you dont want to make expensive mistakes.

SGC are selling the 46M new at a very good price.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/baikal-mp-46m-177

Mike -thanks again for the direction towards a secondhand solution

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    SGC are selling the 46M new at a very good price.

https://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/baikal-mp-46m-177

They said they only managed to get 10 units, 6 sold instantly and out of the couple they had left when I called they now have one less

Embargo on Russia covers sub 6 ft lb air pistols apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwired View Post
    They said they only managed to get 10 units, 6 sold instantly and out of the couple they had left when I called they now have one less

Embargo on Russia covers sub 6 ft lb air pistols apparently.
    So you got one of them then?

Diplomatic issues with the foreign office might do your (and my) 2nd hand values no harm at all.

Unless they invade us, and make us drink vodka and eat them damned fish eggs.

Hi

I got my 46m from SGC earlier this year - fantastic pistol for the money, although the weight may take some getting used to.

You may also need to personalise the grips, someone said that the IZH 46m grips are actually the packing case for your perfect grip, you just have to get rid of the wood that's wrapped around them .

HTH

Paul

No one has mentioned the FWB65/80 (yet). A fine, accurate (45+ scores) pistol that can be bought, tatty cheaply. I sold one on here last year for approx £125 that while tatty was still an accurate shooter. Good condition ones, of course, will set you back more.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Airs...l?sort=6&o=125

HTH
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk