Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steyr LP1 -best pellets?

Steyr LP1 -best pellets?

Hi All
    I'm sure many of you have an LP1 and have spent ages testing different pellets. Please can you share your experiences? I am rapidly burning through my general purpose 177 stock and the only target pellets in it are hobbys. I would like to place a bulk order for pellets and wondered what you found to work best? It must be said,mi am not an Olympian, but an enthusiastic starter amateur, but I don't want pistol or pellets to blame! So good value is important still.
    Cheers
    Lundy
    Last edited by Lundy; 31-10-2016 at 04:51 PM.

When you can hold the 8 ring for 9 out of 10 shots then consider a better pellet. H&N match or RWS R10 are what I use for competition but RWS basics are almost as accurate. What scores are you shooting?
    FWB P8X,Hammerli AP40, Steyr LP1 Walther LPM-1, CPM-1, CP1, CP2, LP3, LP53, LP300, LP400, Terrus, Pardini P10, FX Wildcat .177, HW100 .22, AA S410 .22, BSA R10 MK2 .177, , HW77, 80, 90 BB AK47, S&W 586 and more blow back Co2 BBs than you can shake a stick at

Difficult to say what I'm hitting at the moment! Apart from 35 years ago, Until a month ago I was scoring quite well against Mt Heinz with a BSA scorpion SE at 40/50m. I then got a HW45 for fun, which it is, but started using targets to get sights right for range and half/full power. At that point I realised I needed a target pistol again. I've had it for two days and the kids used more gas than I did. I intend on joining the local club, Glevum, and doing something for me which isn't dictated by the boss, the family or the house. I honestly can't define where I am apart from the beginning of a journey. I have a target on the inside of a kitchen cupboard door which I've been dry firing against and been propping a target holder on the lawn. I am below scores at this stage!
    Only one way from here. but I'm quite determined to get there fairly soon!
    I don't want to be able to blame the pistol or the pellet. But I don't need top grade pellets yet.

I think you can get the basic R10 for around £4-50 a tub. They will do both of us fine for quite a while

Sorry I was thinking of £7-50 for premium r10's ..
    Or there are these
    http://www.countrywaygunshop.co.uk/p...o-177-pellets/
    Last edited by mikehill; 30-10-2016 at 08:17 PM.

Lp1's tend to favour heavier rifle pellets, I used R10 rifle for comp use but RWS Geco for practice

I did bench test R10 rifle and pistol, JSB's and Geco's, R10 4.49 were the best, R10 4.49 pistol 2nd and the Geco's almost the same as R10 pistol, JSBs actually gave the most ragged hole but in in real terms all of them produced a single hole group with 5 pellets, R10's were just marginally bigger than the pellet, the overal difference between all 4 types was about 2mm so you have to ask yourself, can I put 5 pellets into one hole and end up with a hole of less than 6.5mm, if not then Geco's are cheapest and can probably still produce more accurate results than your shooting arm, as you can get twice as many Geco's for the same money as a tin of R10's, that's twice as many shots to practice with, more practice = better shooting and that will do more for your accuracy and results than pellets.
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Thanks Nige ... I'm going looking up 20 tins of Geco's

Probably a daft question but are all geco 177 the same size?

There's a thread somewhere about pellet sizes ... none are accurate anyway Goes in batches. For practice I wouldn't worry mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Lundy View Post
    Probably a daft question but are all geco 177 the same size?
    They're a nominal 4.50 but not selected so will have some variance but certainly not enough for most club shooters to worry about,
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

Any fair quality wadcutter should shoot well - just some may be a little better that others, we're talking just the odd MM better.

As said earlier, unless you're keeping them all in the 8 ring I wouldn't worry too much.

I recently tested the four types of wadcutter pellets I had handy:

Shot with a Walther CP2, from a fixed rest at 9 metres, five shot groups. The top group was four shots, one of each pellet type.

HERE

My groups are not quite like that so maybe I'll try a tin each of hobbys and gecos and see what happens.
    Good pic for the test!

+1 on the RWS basics

Regards
    James

BigEars Guest
    Until my average goes above 90, I'm sticking with Hobbys.

90 sounds good as I'm only just hovering over the 57 (Heinz!)

I've listened and read and gone the conservative route with a small order of 5 tins of Rws R10 light 4.50. I figure for the price of a cup of coffee extra per tin, ( I'm guessing, since I'm normally too tight to buy a coffee) that I would rather blame me than a possible flyer due to pellets. Will let you know how I get on!