Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoration for the anal retentive

Restoration for the anal retentive

Yes I know you will say leave it alone and I probably will but is there any nonevasive way to make these scratches on the paint of my Crosman 102 less noticeable? Because the metal is bright below the paint it just stands out but the vast majority of the paint is fine.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psflrqbgsk.jpg

If you remove all the rest of the paint they won't be noticable at all.

What ?

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Yes I know you will say leave it alone and I probably will but is there any nonevasive way to make these scratches on the paint of my Crosman 102 less noticeable? Because the metal is bright below the paint it just stands out but the vast majority of the paint is fine.

Just strip it and re paint it.
    My youtube channel and please subscribe if you like itShooting at Dawn
    Facebook group Air Rifles

Just respray it, it will look like new. I am doing this kind of job every week on guns that have a paint finish. Even paint some old blued rifles that have deep pitting, they come up nice in satin black or stove paint and the pitting disappears after priming and painting.

Baz
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

Www.cerakote.com

Works miracles.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Wow you guys are evasive by nature!

How about blackening where the scratches are with a carbide lamp or similar... research "sight blackening".

Quote Originally Posted by Rooti McNote View Post
    How about blackening where the scratches are with a carbide lamp or similar... research "sight blackening".
    Good tip, found this product under sight blackening:

"I use Caswell stainless blackener on all my small parts to blacken them. Does a great job. You just can't leave it in there for very long but there's no need to. As soon as it touches regular steel it's black. Pretty darn durable too. I also use it on rear apertures and sight bases. Just an added benefit for a great product for gas cylinder refinishing."

My advice would be to thoroughly degrease the area, with something like acetone (nail varnish remover) on a cloth, then find a local customiser or graphic artist with a fine airbrush. He could then blend minute amounts of satin paint into the scratches. Very little paint would improved the look of the receiver no end.

Lakey

Good tip, found this product under sight blackening:

"I use Caswell stainless blackener on all my small parts to blacken them. Does a great job. You just can't leave it in there for very long but there's no need to. As soon as it touches regular steel it's black. Pretty darn durable too. I also use it on rear apertures and sight bases. Just an added benefit for a great product for gas cylinder refinishing."
    The point is that most rifles and pistols that are painted are not steel so they do not black with normal chemicals. The metal is normally Zamak or brass. If they were steel it is a piece of cake to blue them. I refinish an average of 5 rifles a week, and to paint a rifle is quick and you can get a great finish, not worth farting around with little marks here and there.

Baz
    Last edited by Benelli B76; 30-12-2016 at 07:22 PM.
    BE AN INDEPENDENT THINKER, DON'T FOLLOW THE CROWD

You have a nice collectable Crosman 102 with a great piece of walnut. It's got to be 50+ years old and has a few tiny marks on the original finish If you know what's best you will leave it just as it is and enjoy it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You have a nice collectable Crosman 102 with a great piece of walnut. It's got to be 50+ years old and has a few tiny marks on the original finish If you know what's best you will leave it just as it is and enjoy it.
    Good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Www.cerakote.com

Works miracles.
    Who provides a cerkote service? I know of Liquid Steel Designs, but is there anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    No question the winner but you spell Anal with a capital A. I will try just to enjoy it! Winter lasts a long time in Ohio, to much time to think.

Red face

No question the winner but you spell Anal with a capital A. I will try just to enjoy it! Winter lasts a long time in Ohio, to much time to think.
    Also, I think it's termed 'Anally retentive'! Does that mean they don't give a s**t??

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/