Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restoration for the anal retentive

As has been said, it is an honest piece and in its current condition should be left alone.

I use beeswax on my air rifles, action and stock.
    If you are inclined to make the existing marks less pronounced, why not try beeswax with some colouring? I have not had need to do this myself but probably worth a try and easy to remove if not satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Who provides a cerkote service? I know of Liquid Steel Designs, but is there anyone else?
    I do, Riflecraft are also very good.
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    A CD marker pen with fine point (or sharpened with a craft knife) works well.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    I was about to say the same - a fine tipped permanent marker will make the scratches a lot less noticeable, without making any fundamental changes to the 50 year old patina.
    Happy Shooting!! Paul.
    "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them" - Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalBee View Post
    Who provides a cerkote service? I know of Liquid Steel Designs, but is there anyone else?
    Riflecraft...
    Remember, it is the strongest character that God gives the most challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Excellent thought

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Also, I think it's termed 'Anally retentive'! Does that mean they don't give a s**t??

John
    Had to clear my good or maybe "questional" name, you English are so precise I looked it up before posting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anal_retentiveness

Used the last advice and got out my pinpoint Sharpie pen. Just filled in the scrape and immediately whipped the surface so no ink stayed on the surface on the paint. Worked great just colored the bare aluminum and made it barely noticable but saved factory paint. Value of the forum, never would have thought of this and already had it in my house. Much thanks.

Before:
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...psflrqbgsk.jpg

After:
    http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...pscbcqqr2j.jpg
    Last edited by 45flint; 31-12-2016 at 06:38 PM.

I have a couple of Crosman 600 pistols.

One was very badly marked at the front so I stripped that half, rubbed it down with wire wool then thoroughly degreased it with Isopropanol. Some spray primer then matt black spray paint.

Now then here is the thing - once it had totally hardened I wiped the whole pistol down with oil and I could not tell the difference between the two halves. I did this a few years back and it has signs of use back (I use it all of the time) but I would not hesitate to paint it again.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    I have a couple of Crosman 600 pistols.

One was very badly marked at the front so I stripped that half, rubbed it down with wire wool then thoroughly degreased it with Isopropanol. Some spray primer then matt black spray paint.

Now then here is the thing - once it had totally hardened I wiped the whole pistol down with oil and I could not tell the difference between the two halves. I did this a few years back and it has signs of use back (I use it all of the time) but I would not hesitate to paint it again.
    I understand it can be done and it will look like new, but I really don't want that. This rifle is probably 80 years old, probably sent back and got a factory repaint in the 1950's. It's in great shape but shows honest use, I love that. The pen touch up just to me restores a look and does not alter it, could not be happier with the results, it actually looks better that the pic above. Keeps the raw aluminum shine in the scratch from popping out at you. The actual scrapes add character.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I understand it can be done and it will look like new, but I really don't want that. This rifle is probably 80 years old, probably sent back and got a factory repaint in the 1950's. It's in great shape but shows honest use, I love that. The pen touch up just to me restores a look and does not alter it, could not be happier with the results, it actually looks better that the pic above. Keeps the raw aluminum shine in the scratch from popping out at you. The actual scrapes add character.
    Top man - you made the right decision - Happy New Year

looks ok but I'd have left it alone or done a full strip and refinish on her
    I recently got a 1st model 101 that's had a repaint/reseal and tbh the repaint isn't in keeping and would have rather it was in an honest used condition
    as it's got a few little bits that need work I think i'll be stripping it and re doing it along with the few bits that I still need to do