Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Ultra MMC Review

BSA Ultra MMC Review

Cracking little rifle and I loved reviewing this one.

After a light, simple and accurate ratting rifle, this is well worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNxWg3dSbb4

BSA no longer make them, but plenty around second hand for good money, or try the newer BSA Ultra SE that replaced it.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

secretagentmole Guest
    The MMC was an abomination against shooting. Both the Hornet and the Ultra were crippled by it. The pieces were made of cheap alloy that snapped (bolt release lever and pellet probe both prone to snapping).

MMC was a lie, at least 3 quarters of an inch travel to cock the damned thing.
    It is loud, even with a good silencer it is loud!
    Also the shot count is poor.

The SE is not a side cocking lever either (time 1:12), it is a rear bolt! If you put the magazine in the wrong way up, you cannot load the gun, you cannot load it the wrong way round and you cannot shoot yourself having loaded it the wrong way round!

The MMC is known for pulling you off of aim when you use it as it is usually a lot stiffer than that one you had in the film!

Old style magazines were no problem to load. Only to the incompetent!

What maroon is going to pay £450 for that when for £490 you can have this? http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...-pack-22/17813 Everything you need!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    The MMC was an abomination against shooting. Both the Hornet and the Ultra were crippled by it. The pieces were made of cheap alloy that snapped (bolt release lever and pellet probe both prone to snapping).

The SE is not a side cocking lever either (time 1:12), it is a rear bolt! If you put the magazine in the wrong way up, you cannot load the gun, you cannot load it the wrong way round and you cannot shoot yourself having loaded it the wrong way round!

The MMC is known for pulling you off of aim when you use it as it is usually a lot stiffer than that one you had in the film!

What maroon is going to pay £450 for that when for £490 you can have this? http://www.pellpax.co.uk/airguns/air...-pack-22/17813 Everything you need!
    What a load of rubbish you speak on the ultra , I have said before to you that is your opinion
    I had one and loved it ,wish i never sold it and with hw mod it was as quiet as most PCP guns . The hammer might have a been a bit on the noisy side
    Never had the pellet probe break ,even after 10,000 + pellets through it and to say pulling you off aim is rubbish !!

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by villaman View Post
    What a load of rubbish you speak on the ultra , I have said before to you that is your opinion
    I had one and loved it ,wish i never sold it and with hw mod it was as quiet as most PCP guns . The hammer might have a been a bit on the noisy side
    Never had the pellet probe break ,even after 10,000 + pellets through it and to say pulling you off aim is rubbish !!
    They were known for breaking the probe release and the pellet probe itself. MMC does pull you off aim, most of them came out of the factory equipped with the slightly weaker Bullworker springs. They were loud, they are a very short carbine and compared to other carbines were noticeably louder.

They were however accurate, note I did not say anything about accuracy. I had one, for three weeks. The MMC was a pain in the backside after the smooth operation of the sidelever of an S10 and was more akin to batting a plane into land on an aircraft carrier than it was to air rifle shooting. The only positive advantage was that it did allow the rifle to be decocked easily, problem was you then had to remember you had one up the spout. But to be truthful even with a couple up the breech it could still shove them out of the barrel!

You have your opinion, I have mine, mine was not the experience either you or catatonia had with the thing. Great gun, crap cocking mechanism!

Still does not address the point that he does not seem to know the difference between a side lever and a rear bolt though!
    Last edited by secretagentmole; 01-05-2017 at 09:05 PM.

i had the mmc ultra and loved it , i still have a hornet , custom stock , carbine barrel with a standard air cylinder but JB fettled i believe and find it superb . All horses for courses though , recently sold a r10 air tech tuned and hand on heart i did that because the hornet is good enough for me , i only hunt so don't need a huge shot count , still getting 80+ with the hornet though and its soooo accurate
    rgds
    craig

You are supposed to use your thumb to prevent the probe from colliding to the catch. If you just let it bang against the catch things may break up over thousands of shots. The concept is great for hunting guns, you can leave the pellet in the barrel and cock / decock the hammer making the gun safe to carry in the woods etc. It's also much more silent to cock than a bolt action. The only downside to me is the front cocking knob which is PITA when shooting from bench, one of those side cocking conversions will fix that.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

The Ultra SE is a brilliant little gun as accurate as anything on the market and I am speaking from experience,

I agree on Ultra Se, only issue I have had was an occasional magazine jam.

sidelever of an S10
    You mean a side bolt ? S10 doesn't have a sidelever

lol, Mr angry here and do you really think I actually meant I would shoot myself with a magazine or pellets loaded the wrong way around Haha, it was a light hearted joke

Some , including me, like the MMC system and I found it a joy and easy to use. Each to their own and why we have hundreds of rifles to chose from.
    Going off aim with the MMC, well for me I would go off aim much more with a cocking bolt or lever and hence why I like the MMC system. It is a pain for bench shooting, but that is not what it is designed for.
    The joys of doing a video semi unscripted, is that sometimes I make mistakes. I didn't realize I said side lever when I meant cocking lever. Thanks for pointing this out as overs have done.
    Never allow the pellet probe to spring back on its own power with the Ultra MMC as it will eventually damage it. Use your thumb to ease it back as I showed in the video and there are no issues.
    There are hundreds of owners who have had many problems with the BSA magazines and hence why they were re-designed and replaced by BSA to owners for new ones or are all these owners and BSA wrong ?
    If you are going to insult someone, at least spell moron correctly

Thanks for your thought provoking comments
    Last edited by catanonia; 02-05-2017 at 10:52 AM.
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

: BSA Ultra MMC Review

I'm not a fan of ultra;s but the hornet is a great gun & where are these wonderful repeaters that you can load the mag the wrong way round or put the mag in upside down & they work fine? The loading bolt & that of the innova I might add could break but the simple remedy of cushioning it with your thumb as you release it like the innova makes it's operation silent & completely prevents any breakage. You must be having a man period today moley old chap .
    Last edited by junglie; 02-05-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: & another thing!

I like my MMC Hornet and Ultra - the mmc is a bit 'clicky' but then so is the cocking stroke on the pull back on the BSA's bolts
    Still my favourite pcp's though ......mainly the bloody thick floating barrel well planted into action, and cross fitting of parts ease / ease of spares etc
    Looking for TO-6 Trigger unit unmessed with or T0-6 kit for 34

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catanonia View Post
    lol,
    If you are going to insult someone, at least spell moron correctly

I did not spell moron, I spelled maroon you side lever! You do know what a maroon is don't you? I am referring to the British spelling here.

I can't fault my own ultra , it's spot on for what it is. Polishing and lubing the cocking linkage and holding back the trigger whilst cocking make for a silent smooth operation.
    It's a quiet at the sharp end aswell.

I did not spell moron, I spelled maroon you side lever! You do know what a maroon is don't you? I am referring to the British spelling here.
    New one on me unless you are calling me a runaway slave using the verb, as this is the only one that has any context.
    Anyway I am not going to argue with you anymore on the forum or on the video comments, you have made your point as anyone is entitled to do.

colour
    Something that is maroon is dark reddish-purple in colour.
    ...maroon velvet curtains.
    2. verb
    If someone is marooned somewhere, they are left in a place that is difficult for them to escape from.
    Five couples were marooned in their caravans when the River Avon broke its banks.
    ...after years of being marooned on a desert island.
    Synonyms: abandon, leave, desert, strand More Synonyms of maroon
    COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
    Word Frequency

maroon1 (məˈruːn )
    verb (transitive)
    to leave ashore and abandon, esp on an island
    to isolate without resources
    noun
    a descendant of a group of runaway slaves living in the remoter areas of the Caribbean or Guyana
    4. US and Canadian informal
    a person who has been marooned, esp on an island
    Last edited by catanonia; 02-05-2017 at 09:09 PM.