Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSA Ultra MMC Review

My ultra Mmc tactical single shot .177, has been my main hunting tool for the last 5 years, never let me down ,mega accurate with bisley mags. Find I can cock and load with minimal movement, very quiet to cock if you take the probe release pressure with your thumb..essential when hiding in a barn. It accounted for over 100 jackdaws last year alone at ranges upto 45 yards. I've hunted with airguns since I was 11 and own 17 rifles now, the ultra has been my best hunting gun by far.

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    You are supposed to use your thumb to prevent the probe from colliding to the catch. If you just let it bang against the catch things may break up over thousands of shots. The concept is great for hunting guns, you can leave the pellet in the barrel and cock / decock the hammer making the gun safe to carry in the woods etc. It's also much more silent to cock than a bolt action. The only downside to me is the front cocking knob which is PITA when shooting from bench, one of those side cocking conversions will fix that.
    Off topic ( I like the Ultra and Hornet BTW, I had a lovely .22 JB Hornet), I'm going to be in Helsinki for some time this summer, it would be great to come up to Tampere one day and see some of these big calibre airguns. I've tried an FAC HW80 at 25 ft/lbs, I suspect that this is another ball game altogether
    Do you think that would be possible sometime during June?

Quote Originally Posted by rogb View Post
    Off topic ( I like the Ultra and Hornet BTW, I had a lovely .22 JB Hornet), I'm going to be in Helsinki for some time this summer, it would be great to come up to Tampere one day and see some of these big calibre airguns. I've tried an FAC HW80 at 25 ft/lbs, I suspect that this is another ball game altogether
    Do you think that would be possible sometime during June?
    It is indeed a completely different thing to shoot some serious bigbores We have comps at Iittala range if you want to join us, 17.6 is 100M airgun BR, 15.7 100M bigbore silhouette comp and 26.8 200M airgun BR if any of those fits your schedule. 100M BR is a mix of small bores and bigbores usually, I'm yet undecided whether I'll use my .25 or .357 for that.
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Quote Originally Posted by riku View Post
    It is indeed a completely different thing to shoot some serious bigbores We have comps at Iittala range if you want to join us, 17.6 is 100M airgun BR, 15.7 100M bigbore silhouette comp and 26.8 200M airgun BR if any of those fits your schedule. 100M BR is a mix of small bores and bigbores usually, I'm yet undecided whether I'll use my .25 or .357 for that.
    If you can give me a link to your comp schedules, I will definitely try to come along and see these big-bores in action, thanks!
    Near Hämeenlinna , right?

If you can give me a link to your comp schedules, I will definitely try to come along and see these big-bores in action, thanks!
    Yes, a bit north of Hämeenlinna. http://www.sihry.fi/ I bet someone will borrow you a gun if you want to take part in the competition
    Viking Mk2 .177/.22 bullpup, BSA Scorpion SE .177, BSA Scorpion .25 100M gun, BSA Scorpion .224 100fpe 100M gun,
    Evanix Blizzard .257/.357 200M BR, Evanix Sniper X2 .45 at 270 fpe

Sounds great. Don't forget plenty of pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by where's it gone View Post
    Sounds great. Don't forget plenty of pictures !
    I hope to get up there for sure.I will take pics!

I thought the BBS's "big bores" would be enough for anyone.

secretagentmole Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by catanonia View Post
    New one on me unless you are calling me a runaway slave using the verb, as this is the only one that has any context.
    Anyway I am not going to argue with you anymore on the forum or on the video comments, you have made your point as anyone is entitled to do.

colour
    Something that is maroon is dark reddish-purple in colour.
    ...maroon velvet curtains.
    2. verb
    If someone is marooned somewhere, they are left in a place that is difficult for them to escape from.
    Five couples were marooned in their caravans when the River Avon broke its banks.
    ...after years of being marooned on a desert island.
    Synonyms: abandon, leave, desert, strand More Synonyms of maroon
    COBUILD Advanced English Dictionary. Copyright © HarperCollins Publishers
    Word Frequency

maroon1 (məˈruːn )
    verb (transitive)
    to leave ashore and abandon, esp on an island
    to isolate without resources
    noun
    a descendant of a group of runaway slaves living in the remoter areas of the Caribbean or Guyana
    4. US and Canadian informal
    a person who has been marooned, esp on an island
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...hrome&ie=UTF-8

maroon

a firework that makes a loud bang, used as a signal or warning.

Something that makes a loud noise!

I do know the English language, a little better than you it seems!

Quote Originally Posted by secretagentmole View Post
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ma...hrome&ie=UTF-8

maroon

Did you have the volume turned up high Moley? It was quite a low key review on my 'phone.
    I didn't agree with everything Catatonia said, especially about the trigger being sublime, but he's having a go and doing a reasonable job.
    For the more inexperienced airgunners, I think it's a useful and informative review.
    The point about the release system breaking is only relevent if you're daft enough to let it fly back under it's own steam. Anyone who ever owned one learned within 10 minutes that the probe needed to be cushioned.
    Your point about it being loud is irrelevent too. It's a short barrelled carbine so needs a silencer and, with one, it's as quiet as any other carbine.
    Keep up the good work please Catatonia. You're helping more people than you think.
    Go easy on the 'Just For Men' though mate :-)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster View Post
    Did you have the volume turned up high Moley? It was quite a low key review on my 'phone.
    I didn't agree with everything Catatonia said, especially about the trigger being sublime, but he's having a go and doing a reasonable job.
    For the more inexperienced airgunners, I think it's a useful and informative review.
    The point about the release system breaking is only relevent if you're daft enough to let it fly back under it's own steam. Anyone who ever owned one learned within 10 minutes that the probe needed to be cushioned.
    Your point about it being loud is irrelevent too. It's a short barrelled carbine so needs a silencer and, with one, it's as quiet as any other carbine.
    Keep up the good work please Catatonia. You're helping more people than you think.
    Go easy on the 'Just For Men' though mate :-)

Chris
    thanks and appreciated. Still have an unopened just for men, haven't needed it yet !
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

maroon

not being wordy at all and not trying to be picky ( more interested in my lack of English too) but how does the above description fit in with

'but what maroon would pay £450....'

rgds
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    maroon

not being wordy at all and not trying to be picky ( more interested in my lack of English too) but how does the above description fit in with

'but what maroon would pay £450....'

rgds
    craig
    think he meant moron but is now trying to dig a hole to hide in

Quote Originally Posted by catanonia View Post
    lol, Mr angry here and do you really think I actually meant I would shoot myself with a magazine or pellets loaded the wrong way around Haha, it was a light hearted joke

Some , including me, like the MMC system and I found it a joy and easy to use. Each to their own and why we have hundreds of rifles to chose from.
    Going off aim with the MMC, well for me I would go off aim much more with a cocking bolt or lever and hence why I like the MMC system. It is a pain for bench shooting, but that is not what it is designed for.
    The joys of doing a video semi unscripted, is that sometimes I make mistakes. I didn't realize I said side lever when I meant cocking lever. Thanks for pointing this out as overs have done.
    Never allow the pellet probe to spring back on its own power with the Ultra MMC as it will eventually damage it. Use your thumb to ease it back as I showed in the video and there are no issues.
    There are hundreds of owners who have had many problems with the BSA magazines and hence why they were re-designed and replaced by BSA to owners for new ones or are all these owners and BSA wrong ?
    If you are going to insult someone, at least spell moron correctly

Thanks for your thought provoking comments
    Very well said Steve, our Mr Mole does get carried away now and then
    atb brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian747 View Post
    Very well said Steve, our Mr Mole does get carried away now and then
    atb brian
    Yeah noticed he has dug a hole and is trying to dig sideways to get out.

The joys of the internet
    Airgun Catanonia Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCks...znYSNo1mMXb-MQ : Fully unsponsored and unbiased reviews / videos

Maroon

I think you'll find he meant maroon! An excessively loud noise designed to draw attention to itself! He makes a valid point. It went right over your heads.