Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre War Air Rifles !

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring

Pre War Air Rifles !

I know very little about the above but I'm beginning to fancy one ! (or two maybe)
    Where do I start with this, what are the desired models or which are the most desirable to collect ? Are we looking at BSA's or are there other makes I should be considering ?
    Whatever these are, I intend to use them regularly and they must shoot well above all, I don't do "Cab. Queens".

Thanks !
    “An airgun or two”………

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post
    I know very little about the above but I'm beginning to fancy one ! (or two maybe)
    Where do I start with this, what are the desired models or which are the most desirable to collect ? Are we looking at BSA's or are there other makes I should be considering ?
    Whatever these are, I intend to use them regularly and they must shoot well above all, I don't do "Cab. Queens".

Thanks !
    Depending on your budget, I would go for one of the prewar BSA underlevers in good shooting condition first and next maybe a Webley Mk2 Service, probably more for pride of ownership/aesthetic reasons than anything. Good decision!
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I was new to prewar rifles and found a BSA Standard in good condition. Was pretty surprised how good they really are. They just feel right, shoot as good as any modern springer and the feeling of holding a 90 year old gun in your hands is priceless.

A good BSA Standard or Light is a good start.
    Prices not as steep as the Webley Service.

Don't expect modern day accuracy or range but they are good fun and pretty reliable.

Most likely a little cheaper than options already stated, but consider an early Diana 27. Very easy to work on and satisfying to shoot.
    Or an early Haenel ....
    Cheers, Phil

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    All good info. so far, thanks Guys !
    I have heard of BSA "Standards, Lights and Improved", etc. but I dont know how they stack up in terms of availability, performance, age, quality and value of course.
    Its stuff like this I'm trying to get a handle on !
    “An airgun or two”………

Condition is everything for the collector but a good user BSA Standard or Light should be around or under £200.

Binners sold just what you need on here last week.

Make sure sights are present and correct and that Stock is ok.

Gavin's vintage BSA resource gallery is an excellent aid.

pre war Bsa's are super examples of engineering and craftsmanship,if you visit Holts auctioneers website they have a few different pre 1939 makes/models in upcoming sales.at the moment pre war guns can be sent directly to your home,
    all the best

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    I've a 1906 shotgun stocked bayonet under lever Lincoln Jefferies Mod. H and a 1930s Webley & Scott Service rifle, series three as my pre-war air rifles, and in all honesty, these two still shoot as good as they ever did, and better than some which you'd expect to outshine them.

Go for it Dennis, but buy wisely or you'll end up buying twice ... In fact, I am soooo smitten with my pre-war rifles that when my divorce caused me a wallet melt-down, it was the newer collectables which went to pay my legal fees, as selling my older rifles (especially my LJ Mod. H), was -- and is -- totally out of the question ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Blackrider View Post

Thanks !

John, I've a few Long Toms, If you want you can borrow a couple to try out before you part with any money, You may not like having no timber to hold at the front end

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

I use a BSA Club Standard on a regular basis, Well engineered and great fun to shoot and with a little practice can be superbly accurate, I also have a Model D and light, The only real problem with the BSA rifles is that once you buy one it becomes addictive, You'll start hankering for rarer examples, particular sights etc etc, Basic models such as the standard can be found in nice usable condition for around £200, I have also seen very poor examples for as much as £450+, They come up often so don't rush in, buy a good one and it'll give years of pleasure, mechanical parts are readily available, sights ect are becoming harder to find and can quickly add the costs up to more than the rifle's value, Stocks can crack around the neck where it joins the action, easily repaired if you know how but worth looking out for, Other than that they're superbly engineered and rarely give trouble. There are plenty on here who have far more knowledge than me with regards to models, variants & values, my knowledge is simply based on ownership and the purchases I have made (and intend to make)
    Steyr LP10, Steyr LP5,
    Vintage Collection - Walther LP53, HW77k Venom, BSF S20 Match, Original 35, ASI Target plus lots more

micky2 is offline The collector formerly known as micky
    All of the above rifles will do the job for you. the BSAs are about the best, and very easy to work on and to repair. but the Haenel and Diana underlever copies of the BSAs are also worth looking out for.

You should get yourself a nice webley mark 1 air rifle ..they shoot constantly at 6lb and are great for accurate 10 metre open site target shooting.
    as with all of thease old guns as you fire you are shooting a piece of history...which adds to the experiance..mine was used by the old gent i got it offs father to shoot the rats in sunderland dockyards...now thats history

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    I was new to prewar rifles and found a BSA Standard in good condition. Was pretty surprised how good they really are. They just feel right, shoot as good as any modern springer and the feeling of holding a 90 year old gun in your hands is priceless.
    yup, standard or light. Really well engineered, very easy to service, and shoot well too.
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    Condition is everything for the collector but a good user BSA Standard or Light should be around or under £200.

Binners sold just what you need on here last week.

Make sure sights are present and correct and that Stock is ok.

Gavin's vintage BSA resource gallery is an excellent aid.

Not quite sold yet but, this would have been ideal for John. If you can find the .177 CS model, you will have best of both worlds and should cost less than £300 for a nice example.