Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Box

Shipping Box

Hi All

I need something to post my rifle in (Or at least the action)
    Been looking through that site lots of cardboard boxes nothing looks "Rifle Sized" Would also consider a super cheep hardcase if anyone has any thoughts ..?

P

I've often searched for similar and never found reasonably priced boxes. Best I can say is I use boxes from garden equipment e.g hedge cutter boxes or from fridges. Get handy with a Stanley and gaffa and I make do the hard way. I'll keep a eye on suggestions here 👍
    Super soaker 3000 (water), nerf fang (foam), noisy cricket (energy), m41a pulse rifle (10x24), Gat gun (.177)

Lucky for myself we have 3-4 gun shops in the area, Always worth asking for a couple of boxes when calling in, Col.

Quote Originally Posted by Clean Shot View Post
    Hi All

I need something to post my rifle in (Or at least the action)
    Been looking through that site lots of cardboard boxes nothing looks "Rifle Sized" Would also consider a super cheep hardcase if anyone has any thoughts ..?

P
    Have you considered cardboard tubes?

They are pretty sturdy, carpet shop maybe?

I'd say your local RFD is your friend here
    They have to pay to get rid of cardboard.
    Anything you can take away for free, will help them out
    B.A.S.C. member

Segata is offline Has not one but two workbenches in his shed
    Most I've known to post rifles have used tubes, failing that you might need to mak one from several boxes if you can't get a box from an RFD as most box places either will go massive to match the length or need you to buy a load.
    If it's coming back in the same box then maybe you might be best with the Hardcase.
    You'll Shoot your eye out Kid

Of course never even thought about RFD...!

Otherwise will speak to my local carpet shops

Sounds like a plan though
    Cheers all

P

local supermarket they always have plenty make your own its easy i always do

Starting with the obvious, Keep the box it comes in, if it has to be sent anywhere include a note saying you want it sent back in the same box.

As said above try your RFD(s), carpet tube can work, any local moving or storage company should sell boxes, if you're on "freecycle" ask on there, half a flatscreen TV box can work.
    Plastic drain pipe, available in a multitude of sizes, 110mm/150mm should take the action, 200mm+ for the complete rifle.
    Or you can build one, 20x60 wood for a frame & either 4mm ply or corrugated cardboard for the sides.

Whatever you use the secret is to pack the rifle tight inside, any hollow area can crush.

If I remember correctly, the only gun shop local to you would be in Haselmere, if it's still in existence.
    I used to live in Healey Down and visited the shop on several occasions.

Yes mate
    Closed long since passed.

Next closest is either Farnborough (Maskels..?) or Rokers

Got bored this eve and got some old boxes from the local Sainsburys Direct. You know its Surprising how far they go ...
    1\3 of a roll of Duct tape later a very sturdy looking box is taking shape (minus a lid as yet )

Altho its turned out a bit taller than anticipated still just need some foam to fill in the missing bits.
    My R12 CLX Pro will be off to The RAT Works for them to work their magic when i get a few pennies and hopefully before Crimbo..

I love the gun but the Trigger feels like stirring porridge its so loose 2mm gap where the Trigger goes in to the Block so u can imagine what its like at the business end.
    So I'm gonna have it sorted before it really starts to P155 me off proper.

P

I had a feeling the Haslemere shop might have gone.
    I have a few gun boxes in the loft that I rescued from my local gun shop before it too closed, but I save a few large Amazon or other boxes with which to make rifle boxes.

Go to local guitar shop
    Guitar boxes are best for posting rifles 👍

Have you tried a carpet shop they end up with large cardboard tubes from the rolls of carpet, make a good shipping container. If you cant get a stock in just flatten the tube to an oval. As long as the gun inside is foamed out its protected.
    As for foam protection, foam pipe insulation is great for barrels especially the large stuff if you can get it.

An offcut of PVC drain pipe is almost carrier proof but could be heavy if it is large enough for a complete gun. Action on its own, well wrapped in bubble wrap would surely be safe in an easily obtainable smaller bore tube.