Thread: BSA Meteor S

BSA Meteor S

Whilst reading an old AGW last night with a gun test of the Mercury S, it jogged my memory about the S version of the Meteor, and made me wonder what ever happened to it.

In the early 80's I was in Streatham Armoury one day, having a look around and chatting to the owner, Alan Gigg, when the rep for BSA came in. He had with him a new version of the Meteor that BSA were considering putting into production, he explained that BSA had built just ten of these prototypes as samples for the sales force, to gauge dealer and customer interest.

From memory, the rep said, BSA had consulted with John Bowkett to improve the internals, raising the power to around 10.5ftlbs, it had an adjustable breech bolt, a walnut version of the Super stock and a blued action. There were no pressed scope rails, BSA had used the rear mounting screens at the rear of the action, where you could move the rear sight too, to fit a raised scope rail.

Does anyone on here have an example of what must be a rather rare rifle? Or indeed know why these were never produced?

Hi,
    At a vague glance from what you're describing, when the mercury was discontinued, and the supersport took its place, I dare say a very good likeness to a meteor super, just a pity Bsa had nothing more radical in the design department than back tracking to and older design.
    They for a very short time made the supersport delux/ custom very much like you describe , better stock raised cheakpeice, maxigrip scoperail, adjustable breech crossbolt. And increased power, ticks alot of boxs and it the same time slot early 80s,This is what it may have morfed into?

I'd have believed this had I read it yesterday and you not mentioned your post at Kempton, you cheeky so and so!
    Currently looking for Baikal Makarov pistols with the following prefixes to the serial number: 98, T01, T09, T21, T22
    Prefer boxed or cased but will consider loose examples too.