Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Webley and Scott MKI air rifle....

Quote Originally Posted by cringe View Post
    Oh! Jimmie, what have you done! you have destroyed an 'iconic' piece of English airgun history! where is the 'patina'? where are the dent's & scrapes on the wood? where is the HISTORY? You have made this gun worthless to any self respecting collector.
    Therefor I suggest you throw it in your nearest skip, BUT! before you do I would be prepared to offer you free postage to myself whereupon I could hacksaw off most of the barrel & the stock & convert it back to the pistol it was meant to be.
    PS. What is it like to shoot?
    Lol. I had no choice! Did you read the text that accompanied the photos? It's all explained in there.

Right now, it's only shooting 1.5 ft/lbs. Got to investigate why. I've not changed the mainspring although it seems to be good. The two phosphor bronze piston rings are new and might need "bedding in". Any ideas? I have fitted a new breech seal so it's not that.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I'm reading the number as 1178 in which case it is already listed as a .22 calibre in the 118 number list, which has not been updated since 2015.
    Do you have a link to this list please?

I'll post the list on my site, but it's 90% the same as in Chris's book apart from a few more numbers.

Link to lists below.

Mk.1 Numbers Lists
    Last edited by Troubledshooter; 06-09-2018 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Numbers Lists Added.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post
    Lol. I had no choice! Did you read the text that accompanied the photos? It's all explained in there.

Right now, it's only shooting 1.5 ft/lbs. Got to investigate why. I've not changed the mainspring although it seems to be good. The two phosphor bronze piston rings are new and might need "bedding in". Any ideas? I have fitted a new breech seal so it's not that.
    Rings plural?... I'm not an owner, but I was under the impression they only had a single compression ring and they need 'fitting' as hand-made rings do otherwise they'll bind in the bore.

These are hand made. If you only had one, the air would leak past the split in the ring. There are certainly two slots for the split rings.

Hi Jimmie

Quote Originally Posted by JimmieDee View Post

Hi, Jimmie, I am not telling you "how to suck eggs" but have you cleaned the barrel ? there may be many years of lead residue & possibly corrosion down there? My method is to use a thin welding or braising rod, bend a hook at one end that is less than the bore, then pull through several 'wads' of fine wire wool soaked in WD40, then pull through several 'wads' of white cotton or similar until no dirt is visible. Hope this helps, best regards Al

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_s View Post
    Rings plural?... I'm not an owner, but I was under the impression they only had a single compression ring and they need 'fitting' as hand-made rings do otherwise they'll bind in the bore.
    Two piston rings are fitted as standard to the Mk.1 Air Rifle, as shown in the illustrated parts list.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    Two piston rings are fitted as standard to the Mk.1 Air Rifle, as shown in the illustrated parts list.
    Thank you for clarifying that - but still worth checking the piston isn't being bound by the rings as a cause of low power if this hasn't been done already.

Not a Webley product, but a handy case to keep 1241 & 1242 in.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    OMG this thread is jam-packed with beautiful images. Thanks to all: love it.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth W-B View Post
    OMG this thread is jam-packed with beautiful images. Thanks to all: love it.
    As you like em, have a kite at one with 2 barrels

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post

As you like em, have a kite at one with 2 barrels.
    That is a lovely collectable. Cheers Pete. Still prefer my Mk.II to all however. Yes, it may not be as pristine as some, and yes, it only has the one barrel with it (.22), but it has two things in it's favour: (1) it truly shoots superbly, and (b), most importantly, it's mine, all mine.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I'll post the list on my site, but it's 90% the same as in Chris's book apart from a few more numbers.

Link to lists below.

Mk.1 Numbers Lists
    Hi Troubledshooter - you might like to add my .177 Mk1 to your list, S/N 1233. I posted this info a few years ago but you may have missed it.
    Aubrey

Quote Originally Posted by AC99 View Post
    Hi Troubledshooter - you might like to add my .177 Mk1 to your list, S/N 1233. I posted this info a few years ago but you may have missed it.
    Aubrey
    It's already on the list at No.83

Thumbs up

Link to lists below.

Mk.1 Numbers Lists
    Hi TS

The number 486 in the list although it doesn't say what cal, It's .177"

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/