Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good week for collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by 45flint View Post
    Unless there is pics of the Airsporter it didn’t happen?
    Well that shut you up. Think it shut us all up.
    Nice one I.J.. but then you have good taste in air rifle... bar the HW35's perv

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Those are Major Finds.

I don't have any more of those to go now.

Just odds and sods. Like I would still like a Hammerli 420 military stocked sidelever, a Diana Series 70 Model 79, one of those tiny Original Diana junior recoilless rifles based on the 6G pistol, and possibly a ... nah that's it. And I am not sure I would getr them unless they were reasonable cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyone View Post
    Would be interested to hear your take on the PE Ian if you give it an airing on the range?

I've got one in each calibre after buying a cheap .177 barrel off here many years ago. Both are in good order but the barrel swapped gun needs a little tweaking to get it to its best.
    Am pleased for you. A worthy acquisition in my eyes.
    Dave

If you bought the barrel from a certain ex moderator on here, I have the action the .177 barrel belonged to .

The ex moderator paid Ł25 for the barrel assembly, which was actually taken off a new rifle.

I love PE, I did have five, I still have two Venom PE, one in each cal.
    Last edited by master_shriller; 07-12-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    master(dot)shriller(at)gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muskett View Post
    I was in the CCF during the Falklands so regular training staff were super cool.
    I did Recruits in '86 which was done in the old heavy kit.
    The 70's DPM is still great camo, still the most "ally". Sadly the contract dispute changed things, and every contract after '82 the DPM got darker and darker.

Ally was for me Jungle bottoms and Windproof smocks; Arctic or SAS type; the issue pyjamas combats just fell apart. Until '95 issue kit arrived combats were all yuck. "95 was quite good, but then they changed to MTP. I've been out a long while; no idea if the boys like the new stuff or not.
    From a "black sack" I acquired a ventile DPM from the Trials Team; it eventually died. A bit dark but it worked for field use. Green Norgies were the norm. Matterhorn boots. The windproofs never lasted that long when used as a Brecon ammo pouch.
    My Goretex DPM is still doing great service in Scotland. My son has a MTP set in heavy goretex (he is not army, so just for Scotland wet.)

Since then I still shoot, stalking and rough shooting, in a windproof smock. Have them in most colours, most SAS cut. Two ventile, a good few gaberdine, OG Green even; all have NATO numbers bar a Survival Aids ventile. In all kinds of DPM vintage and even in MTP. Its less to be Ally, more I just feel good in them as I run hot. Plus got my son a couple. Then I realised I had a collection!
    Generally worn with a tweed cap. Still swear by my Fibrepile, and Ebony Snugpak. Thank god boots have moved on.

My wife thinks I have too much shooting kit; she might be right.

For me it was Danner acadia’s, tropical and a sass kit karry smock with Norwegian although the tropical were banned in Ireland so I switched to a set of wind proofs and arktis chestrig. Still have one of my old para smocks I was issued before we went to Ireland x2 sizes up from normal so we could fit the vest under it to bulk us up for the intimidation factor at vcp’s! Yes I was a kit monster and still buy windproofs and smocks when I see them at car boot sales bought a very nice sniper smock a few years ago that the youngest has claimed.

Tropicals/Jungles were banned in NI because of the petrol bomb issue and amount of nylon in the fabric; but that didn't stop the nylon cold weather suits being issued!
    Most of us had to be kit monsters because so much kit was so sht. Heck even the top brass wouldn't wear the issue stuff.

1970's uniforms were cut close and Guardsmen-like.
    Post Falklands it was a baggy as anything.

I was a "slack Jacket" so anything went so long as it worked.

Since '95 its got all smart again. Then another change to MTP. Seeing soldiers about they do look smart in their MTP's; at least its one colour! The new combat uniform is Virtus with better body armour, webbing, and helmet; with "Fight Light" being the battle cry. All vehicles are being upgraded to give some real protection, but then the firepower has gone up too. I wonder what will be left in the training budget? Its the field training that matters. Think its going to be "Fight Light, and Flatten it"' probably from the comfort of big chair and video console.

Don't think I could do a Sennybridge CFT in full kit now, well not in under two hours...maybe two days with a tavern stopover!!

Quote Originally Posted by guy View Post
    For me it was Danner acadia’s, tropical and a sass kit karry smock with Norwegian although the tropical were banned in Ireland so I switched to a set of wind proofs and arktis chestrig. Still have one of my old para smocks I was issued before we went to Ireland x2 sizes up from normal so we could fit the vest under it to bulk us up for the intimidation factor at vcp’s! Yes I was a kit monster and still buy windproofs and smocks when I see them at car boot sales bought a very nice sniper smock a few years ago that the youngest has claimed.
    Cool. Danners were great, I still occasionally wear my 3 civvy pairs from 15-20 years ago. Great quality. And they look like real old fashioned proper boots, not mountaineers’ boots or stuff for a club foot.

At some point, I had a really good pair of Altbergs, but I’m buggered if I can find them now. Maybe the ex-wife has them hidden somewhere. Or burned them on her bonfire while casting spells.

This thread reminds me that for a while (1995-2005?) the Buffalo Special Six shirt/jacket (which I still own and wear) was definitely gucci, before the Snugpak style liner jackets were introduced.

I have stopped buying smocks. Mine were all bought 15-25 years ago. Non-wire hood issue “SF” DPM gaberdine (very nice and very versatile); DPM sniper (nice to own, but ultimately meh); Arktis light green ripstop with MVP drop-liner (too hot in warm conditions, not warm enough in cold, and too clammy with exercise); and SASS (now defunct) custom olive green ventile (Gucci as heck and very nice).

Tropicals/Jungles were banned in NI because of the petrol bomb issue and amount of nylon in the fabric; but that didn't stop the nylon cold weather suits being issued!
    Most of us had to be kit monsters because so much kit was so sht. Heck even the top brass wouldn't wear the issue stuff.

1970's uniforms were cut close and Guardsmen-like.
    Post Falklands it was a baggy as anything.

I was a "slack Jacket" so anything went so long as it worked.

Since '95 its got all smart again. Then another change to MTP. Seeing soldiers about they do look smart in their MTP's; at least its one colour! The new combat uniform is Virtus with better body armour, webbing, and helmet; with "Fight Light" being the battle cry. All vehicles are being upgraded to give some real protection, but then the firepower has gone up too. I wonder what will be left in the training budget? Its the field training that matters. Think its going to be "Fight Light, and Flatten it"' probably from the comfort of big chair and video console.

Don't think I could do a Sennybridge CFT in full kit now, well not in under two hours...maybe two days with a tavern stopover!!
    The new kit is genuinely good, according to everyone I know wearing it. Virtus is good. MTP began as a commercial pattern (multicam) but got quickly adopted by Those Who Do Not Exist, starting with the Americans Who Do Not Exist. Add beards for ally-ness (though the yanks, much as I love them, can go OTT in that respect).

The days when Guardsmen would have their battle dress tailored to fit are long gone.

But for my generation (i’m 50), close-fitting green lightweights, DPM smock and an SLR muzzle down with the butt over the right elbow was a particular British look that will never be recreated.

I still wear ventile today, my winter coat is a Country Innovations Ranger with fleece zip in jacket. Its Southern waterproof, so not waterproof enough for Wales or Scotland.

I have a Montaine Fibre Pile front zip jacket, I like front zip rather than a pile shirt as I prefer to dump all that overheat in one go.

Gaberdine, ventile, both at least breath unlike any modern stuff. EVent the nearest "breathable" waterproof to the point its not that windproof. You can't win really. Heavy Goretex does work but its steamy!!

As a Cadet I was issued a No:4 and or Bren. As a Recruit an SLR; (plastic stock with wood fore end). Won Young Soldier with the SLR. As a Rifleman being the shortest and 10 1/2 stone they gave me a GPMG. Later, being too Rupert Sandhurst with a SLR, but on return given a SA80. Running the conversion from SLR to SA80 was "interesting" if not dangerous (only half a clip from shooting the General out of the sky). LSW was pants. They all got there in the end. SA80-A2 came through as I left. One of my Cpl's won the AR's Queens Medal three times after I left; good lad (but then he had a good instructor.)
    Last of the Cold War Warriors, can't say I did anything remotely dangerous which wasn't friendly fire. Good times.

Still think the most "ally" was GPMG with the gun slung correctly with its sling, link dangling, then shot from the hip road sweeping style

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Those are Major Finds.

I don't have any more of those to go now.

Just odds and sods. Like I would still like a Hammerli 420 military stocked sidelever, a Diana Series 70 Model 79, one of those tiny Original Diana junior recoilless rifles based on the 6G pistol, and possibly a ... nah that's it.
    What and why? Very few of the Milbro Dianas are worth collecting IMO. Even compared to the other junior stuff that was around at the time (Hawk, Meteor etc.) they were poor and thats saying summat.
    The only reason I can think of for a Diana 79 s that its your first rifle. That is how I swapped the Airsporter Mk 2 for a Pro Elite. It was Andys first air gun and he had been looking for one for a while. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Airsporter-MK2 The Airsporter was the one featured in this months Hot Air video. I travelled 465 miles on Sunday to pick up its slightly better replacement.

ATB
    Ian
    Last edited by I. J.; 29-11-2018 at 10:06 AM.
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Its the hunt that matters. I.J.'s trophy room is getting rather smart
    (The 465 miles was to save a Tenner, full use of free bus pass I'm not envious )

Its the hunt that matters. I.J.'s trophy room is getting rather smart
    (The 465 miles was to save a Tenner, full use of free bus pass I'm not envious )
    Im worried about my rafters with the weight (NOT mine the collections ) I was thinking of knocking two rooms into one but who needs a 30 foot ceiling.

I have to admit after the 465 jaunt the Olde Ceramics were playing up.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Just one more HW35......BOOOM. Pensioner found crushed by his collection of guns. House flattened, it was only an old Webley Pistol holding it all up. "Police find huge arsenal on top of pensioner."

I just worry about Father Christmas having to lug another 35 and push it down I.J.'s chimney. If only he had collected BSA's.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    What and why? Very few of the Milbro Dianas are worth collecting IMO. Even compared to the other junior stuff that was around at the time (Hawk, Meteor etc.) they were poor and thats saying summat.
    The only reason I can think of for a Diana 79 s that its your first rifle. That is how I swapped the Airsporter Mk 2 for a Pro Elite. It was Andys first air gun and he had been looking for one for a while. http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....Airsporter-MK2 The Airsporter was the one featured in this months Hot Air video. I travelled 465 miles on Sunday to pick up its slightly better replacement.

ATB
    Ian
    I have a 401 Hammerli, just always wanted to try the 420. It's actually the Series 70 Model 71, not the 79, that I am half-interested in, allegedly the best of the Milbro Dianas. Everything else I have owned or own now.

Although with the mention of all these HW35s, I wouldn't mind a nice HW35 Export in .177 like I had way back when. I have a bunch of parts that I can make a Standard up from, but its not the same as the walnut 22" beauty.