Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Erma ELG 10 Winchester Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by chieffool View Post
    what a lovely gun.
    Well done.

I have enjoyed every part of this thread so much I will be looking to find one of these for my own garden plinking collection.
    So...
    ...if anyone knows of one available (and in virtually any condition - happy to take on a project)...
    ...PLEASE let me know!
    These are perfect for backyard shooting, don’t know why people can’t appreciate lower power masterpieces, especially in this country. Neighbors can’t object and all I want to do is put a hole in paper. You do feel your holding a Winchester, I know I used to own one. Yes there are better target rifles but who cares, for a few moments I’m a cowboy. Lol

Actually accuracy is very good but the trigger pull is a little tuff. This is 25 feet with the small circle about the size of a dime, little bigger than 1/2 inch.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    They are very nice guns, good to see it back to full working order
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Shed tuner View Post
    They are very nice guns, good to see it back to full working order
    Hope yours is working well.

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    Hope yours is working well.
    very well thanks
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Final thoughts on the Erma after being inside. “Shed Tuner” said above, “it's basically a pistol powerplant - 22mm piston and a pretty short stroke. The std spring is actually a little OTT for the swept volume IMHO”.

I was struck by how small the piston is and the stoke seemed about 1/2 of the piston length. Your not moving a lot of air. As said above you are firing a pistol power plant in a rifle. Below is the piston next to a Haenel 28 which most of you can relate to. The Haenel piston is a little bigger in diameter? It’s the longer spring that helps get any power out of this rifle. Not that it matters for me but I can see in its day why it was a tuff sell.

Webley Ranger

A friend of mine will be taking one of these nice rifles to sell at the Springer bash in Sept. Mach 1.5

Congratulations on the repair, Steve. Very interesting seeing the internal parts. Full marks to you for persisting with it. It would have been a terrible shame to see it reduced to a wall hanger - as you say, it's a great plinker.

Fascinating when renowned firearms companies venture briefly into airgun manufacture. Westley Richards before WW1, W W Greener, Cogswell & Harrison and Remington in the 1920s(?), Heym in the 1950s, Smith & Wesson in the 1960/70s(?), Sterling in the 1980s, Probably others too?

Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.