Thread: Webley Vulcan .22

Webley Vulcan .22

I have just bought a second hand mint Webley Vulcan, is there any way of telling its age from the serial number and how do I tell a mk2 from a mk3?
    It is the shorter barrel carbine style with white inserts on the butt pad and pistol grip. The trigger looks as though it is a casting and the rearsight is adjustable with screwdriver only.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    I have just bought a second hand mint Webley Vulcan, is there any way of telling its age from the serial number and how do I tell a mk2 from a mk3?
    It is the shorter barrel carbine style with white inserts on the butt pad and pistol grip. The trigger looks as though it is a casting and the rearsight is adjustable with screwdriver only.
    Mk 3.
    "But we have our own dream and our own task. We are with Europe, but not of it. We are linked, but not comprised. We are interested and associated, but not absorbed."
    Winston Churchill 1930

Thanks for quick response. Does that put it early to mid 80s?
    It is a pity that Webley don't date their guns unlike my FWB & Original target pistols which are clearly date stamped. I am assuming there is no way of dating it from the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gen View Post
    Mk 3.
    Assuming it is original and has a barrel weight, MK or Series 3 KS, introduced late 1995. Not made very long after that.

If it looks like this, It's a Ks

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    If it looks like this, It's a Ks

John
    John,
    Couple of differences and I'll try to attach photo evidence. Rear sight does not have knurled wheel adjustment like I think I can see in your photo. Mine is adjusted by flat blade screwdriver. My barrel diameter looks possibly larger than the photo and it finishes just beyond front sight. It doesn't have the extra bit as in your photo.
    I'll figure out how to attach some photos🤨
    It doesn't appear to a ever been out of it's box although I don't have box☹️
    Dave

Sounds like you have the rear sight that was fitted to the Omega and Eclipse ?
    Hw77+7

Quote Originally Posted by Dave49 View Post
    John,
    Couple of differences and I'll try to attach photo evidence. Rear sight does not have knurled wheel adjustment like I think I can see in your photo. Mine is adjusted by flat blade screwdriver. My barrel diameter looks possibly larger than the photo and it finishes just beyond front sight. It doesn't have the extra bit as in your photo.
    I'll figure out how to attach some photos🤨
    It doesn't appear to a ever been out of it's box although I don't have box☹️
    Dave
    Series 3 has the rear sight you mention, also shared with the Omega, Eclipse, Patriot.

Johnbaz’s KS has an addition of a short, screw-in Webley moderator. If it was unscrewed, the barrel weight would indeed finish “just beyond the front sight”.

Blackrider is offline It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got a Spring
    I bought a KS .22 Cal. from Guns International, Barnsley around 2000 ish so they were being made up to around that time.
    A useful pest control springer for internal use in barns, farm buildings etc., although cocking wasn’t easy due to the short carbine barrel. Although the addition of the short screw on single chamber moddy did improve this slightly.
    Eventually moved the gun on when a Fenman came onboard which superceded the Webley on all levels.
    “An airgun or two”………

The Vulcan was a nice rifle spoiled by a poor trigger.