Thread: Hy-Score US vs UK

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Link to a previous thread posted just after I picked up and tested my own Phoenix Hyscore air pistol.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....hyscore+pistol

Brian
    I need to test mine with the 22 barrel but yours appears more powerful? I’m quoting you below:

“The ‘Sporter’ is finished to a much higher standard than the American version with a greater use of machined steel castings rather than steel pressings which were a deliberate feature of the original design.”

I agree the milled barrel end is better than the US model. But the overall finish detail and bluing of the UK version doesn’t approach the US version. I think it probably comes down to 1950’s workmanship vs 1980’s?

One large difference between the US & UK pistols, that I’ve never heard discussed are the materials used to make the grips. The U.K. version is pretty generic plastic? The US version used a more expensive plastic called Tenite. They made a big deal of it at the time, see the ad below from GE. (Taken from Trevor Adams site.)

“Tenite cellulosics are manufactured from renewable raw materials (soft woods); they exhibit many of the same tactile and finish properties as wood”

This plastic does have a much more high end tactile feel, and is better looking I think. (even used in medical devices) It’s hard to pick up the difference in pictures but not hard if your holding the pistols.

Last edited by 45flint; 11-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Hy score valuation

Old thread i know. I have a USA one been in a cupboard for many years, it's.22 but also has a .177 barrel as well, the front ferel has been remade sometime in the past. Works OK any idea of value?
    Last edited by vfrkid; 03-08-2022 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add image

Ahh can't post image...grrr, tried 2 hosting sites ...ok finally..[IMG][/IMG]

Thumbs up

Hi Flint

I think the rearsight on the later ones were improved with windage

Cheers, John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Flint

I think the rearsight on the later ones were improved with windage

Cheers, John..
    I ended up getting one like yours as well.