Thread: Hy-Score US vs UK

Hy-Score US vs UK

Someone asked when I posted my Hy-Score collection to compare the UK model to the US version. Tough part is you can only compare the models you have and since these are all second hand guns it is impossible to know how many rounds have been fired through them and under what conditions. With my UK version I have only one choice but with the US version I have allot of choices. I chose a 1952 Sportster with multi-barrels that was in good shape to best match the UK version. Also my UK version is a early one so I don’t know if later guns improved?

1. Differences - obvious the UK slab sides give a more modern look, nicely done. Exterior parts the same. Internal piston looks very different. See pics below: the first pic is the US piston.

2. Fit and finish- US gun is better, far better bluing, cocking does seem just a little smoother and more precise in feel? Yes very subjective.

3. Power- tested with 7 grain Hobbys in .177:

A. UK 5 shoot string averaged 388 with a high of 395.
    B. US 5 shoot string averaged 431 with a high of 437
    C. I do have a US Repeating Sportster that averages well above 500 FPS. This gun is the exception.
    Have standard US Hy-Scores in great condition that average 350 FPS but most US guns I think would shoot in the
    400s.

I think much of the variation in US Hy-Score power is the variation in the springs. Very noticeable that at least some of the 700’s had weaker springs than later guns. These guns were manufactured for 20 years so much room for variation. Also as a whole there are two areas where air leakage is possible and may vary between guns, the loading iris and the concentric barrel.

As I have said before with these types of pistols difference in power seem pretty immaterial given the ranges and the types of shooting you will do. Your not going to go hunting with one of these, just fun target and plinking.

I have read on this forum many posts that said the UK advertised power of 500 FPS was never really achieved by these guns. Seems to run true with my example. But I do have a US example that shows it is possible. Below this 1952 Repeating Sportster averaged above 500 FPS and I’m sure it’s stock and seems shot little?

Last edited by 45flint; 04-09-2019 at 12:53 PM.

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    I seem to recall my sporter was 350-375 even with new springs and piston seal - very disappointing as it came with a certain reputation and contemporary advertising promising better.
    In the end it got moved on...

Thanks for that. Very interesting.

Link to a previous thread posted just after I picked up and tested my own Phoenix Hyscore air pistol.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....hyscore+pistol

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Abasmajor View Post
    Link to a previous thread posted just after I picked up and tested my own Phoenix Hyscore air pistol.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....hyscore+pistol

Brian
    I need to test mine with the 22 barrel but yours appears more powerful? I’m quoting you below:

“The ‘Sporter’ is finished to a much higher standard than the American version with a greater use of machined steel castings rather than steel pressings which were a deliberate feature of the original design.”

I agree the milled barrel end is better than the US model. But the overall finish detail and bluing of the UK version doesn’t approach the US version. I think it probably comes down to 1950’s workmanship vs 1980’s?

One large difference between the US & UK pistols, that I’ve never heard discussed are the materials used to make the grips. The U.K. version is pretty generic plastic? The US version used a more expensive plastic called Tenite. They made a big deal of it at the time, see the ad below from GE. (Taken from Trevor Adams site.)

“Tenite cellulosics are manufactured from renewable raw materials (soft woods); they exhibit many of the same tactile and finish properties as wood”

This plastic does have a much more high end tactile feel, and is better looking I think. (even used in medical devices) It’s hard to pick up the difference in pictures but not hard if your holding the pistols.

Last edited by 45flint; 11-09-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Hy score valuation

Old thread i know. I have a USA one been in a cupboard for many years, it's.22 but also has a .177 barrel as well, the front ferel has been remade sometime in the past. Works OK any idea of value?
    Last edited by vfrkid; 03-08-2022 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add image

Ahh can't post image...grrr, tried 2 hosting sites ...ok finally..[IMG][/IMG]

Thumbs up

Hi Flint

I think the rearsight on the later ones were improved with windage

Cheers, John..
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

Quote Originally Posted by johnbaz View Post
    Hi Flint

I think the rearsight on the later ones were improved with windage

Cheers, John..
    I ended up getting one like yours as well.