Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weihrauch foresight plastic inserts

Weihrauch foresight plastic inserts

Hi all
    Ref Weihrauch hw30s starter rifle for my daughter
    I have now bought an anschutz diopter from a chap at my club and am looking for some better sight elements for the front sight - stock item that came with the rifle is std very heavy looking steel- can’t see , anything on google or the bay - any ideas?
    Cheers
    Lundy
    Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

I swopped the standard 99 front sight for one from an 80, which gave me the option of swopping the inserts. mine has a Williams peep sight as well

Lundy,

The earlier foresight tunnels (from the classic era of 10 m 'springers') were made to fit ca. 9 - 9.5 mm barrel grooves.

Most of the 'modern' tunnels fit 11 mm grooves.

The HWs use ca. 9 - 9.5 mm grooves.

You can make shims from 1 mm sheet steel, and these allow the fitting of 11 mm tunnels to the HWs.

The advantage of the 'modern' tunnels is that the elements are much more available, and standardised.

Below is a picture of my HW99S with a Centra Score tunnel (11 mm)

Have fun & a good weekend

Best regards

Russ

Good ideas guys!
    What size inserts do hw80 foresight’s take?
    Lundy
    Quote Originally Posted by PhatMan View Post
    Lundy,

The earlier foresight tunnels (from the classic era of 10 m 'springers') were made to fit ca. 9 - 9.5 mm barrel grooves.

Most of the 'modern' tunnels fit 11 mm grooves.

The HWs use ca. 9 - 9.5 mm grooves.

You can make shims from 1 mm sheet steel, and these allow the fitting of 11 mm tunnels to the HWs.

The advantage of the 'modern' tunnels is that the elements are much more available, and standardised.

Below is a picture of my HW99S with a Centra Score tunnel (11 mm)

Best regards

Russ

Steyr Evo 10, Anschutz 8001, BSA Scorpion SE, BSA light Pattern, HW77k, HW30s, AA TX200, HW45 Blackstar, HW40, Walther CP88, Webley Premier E, TBC!

Lundy,

The outside diameter of the HW inserts is ca. 14.6 mm.

The standard HW element pack consists of three (3) posts (fat post, middle post, and pin head), and two (2) aperture - please see below.

I have tried the metal FWB / Anschutz aperture elements (ca. 16mm), and these do not fit the HW tunnel.

Some of the old Diana elements (from 35/50) might fit, but again they were well supplied with posts not apertures

That is why I went over to using modern foresight tunnels.

Some chappie could make you up a suitable plastic sight element ? ( they are only a disc of plastic with a hole drilled in the centre )

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    What do you mean by stock item is "very heavy looking steel"...?
    Usually the elements are very thin light sheet steel.

Heavy looking in the sense that the inner circle is wide- not that the element is thick. The aperture is too small and the width of the doughnut cuts out a lot of light- compared to the acrylic element on my match rifle. I’m guessing the small tunnel of the hw30 also reduces light-so a bigger tunnel with an acrylic element would be better-also can then start big with the aperture and get smaller as she improves? Having said all that, I’ve already spent 130 on the rifle and 50 on the diopter, so looking for a reasonably budget solution!

Many thanks to Harvey for being an absolute star and making me a couple of very reasonably priced plastic elements to fit the HW30 foresight. I measured it at 14.5mm and Harvey made two, with a 4.0 and 3.8 aperture. The sight picture is transformed and daughter very happy. A lot quicker and cheaper than sourcing a new foresight and packing it to fit.

Lundy,

Excellent

Well done Harvey !

Have fun & a good Sunday,

Best regards

Russ

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback Andy, glad you're pleased with them.

Russ I've PM'd you and if anyone else is struggling to get foresight elements - PM the sizes and I'll try to help...

Go figure!

I’ve just spent 20 minutes with my daughters (ha!) new hw30, complete with vintage anschutz diopter and Harvey’s Perspex elements. Normally with my pcp anschutz match rifle I struggle to get higher than 160/200 ( no time to practice!) . I’ve just shot 92/100 with hers. Fab little rifles- might take it to the club next week!

HW elements

Hi,

I too have the Hw30 target air rifle,

Could you please advise me where I could purchase the loop diopter elements shown in the picture ?

Regards Stephen

I had a spare Centra Score front sight that had been replaced by a larger diameter (22mm) version on one of my Walther match rifles.

My HW99S had a basic front sight unit (same as the HW30S?) that would not easily take optional elements so I removed it and slid this sight onto the barrel and to my surprise it tightened up well without the need to fit any shims!

Prior to that I had "borrowed" the front sight unit from my early type HW35 (just like the one shown in the picture above from Russ) so I could change the sight elements, and it worked well enough - but that Centra Score looks so good and allows a full range of alternative element sizes and types to be fitted.

I also bought a good condition s/h Anschultz rear diopter so the rifle really looks the part now, and I have lowered the power to 9.8 ft/lbs (it was running at 11.7 ft/lbs) as I hope to use the rifle in the current MPL competition. Once the rebuild has had time to bed-in I will check it again, but I prefer lower power in a rifle for 6 yard paper punching - the HW30S is perfect (in my opinion) but sadly the rifle is a little too short for me to hold it comfortably.

After a session with the rifle at the RMTC club last night, the front sight unit remains fixed firmly and did not shift at all, so I can now fit alternative front sight elements of either the steel or clear plastic (preferred) types.

I also have an HW30S and I will check to see if the front sight grooves are the same, and if so, I will see if I can fit an MEC front sight unit (with a Walther fitting mount) to that as well.
    Last edited by zooma; 11-10-2019 at 09:15 AM.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by svincett View Post
    Hi,

I too have the Hw30 target air rifle,

Could you please advise me where I could purchase the loop diopter elements shown in the picture ?

Regards Stephen
    I can supply clear plastic ring types which are much better than the steel ones if that helps...

Hello to All,

I ordered some 14.5 mm dia. , 4.6 mm aperture elements for the HW tunnel from Harvey, and these arrived at lunch time today.

Very quick service indeed !!

Excellent workmanship, and they fit the tunnel a treat

A quick shoot, and I am really pleased with the results.

These elements greatly extend the utility of the HW tunnel, which previously, for me, was only usable with the metal post elements.

Best regards

Russ