Thread: Springfield Zouave musket

Springfield Zouave musket

Just browsing around on a certain free ad website and found what looks to be a nice US civil war musket called a Springfield Zouave. I am familiar with Springfield but never heard of a Zouave musket before so I decided to look them up and found out about their history ect but my question is, the one of said free ad site has a V sight similar to the Indian P53 muskets whilst all the other Zouave muskets I have found had adjustable rear sights, cannot find another that is exactly like the one for sale. Were there varying types of sights for these muskets?

I know next to nothing about American Civil war muskets and was hoping someone could fill in the blanks for me.

Cheers

The so-called Zouave rifled musket was produced by Remington Arms company at Ilion, New York, by contract with the US Government. It was intended for the US Artillery Department and never distributed to any Civil War army division. The good looks and fine features of the gun were discovered by shooters and collectors during the Civil War centennial and it was highly sought-after. The most common replica is made by Pedersoli - 1863 Zouave - and features brass furniture, the distinctive ramrod with the tulip tip and the three leaf rear sight. There are two sling swivels, one fits under the front band and the other one fit in front of the trigger guard. The lock shows the Eagle stamp and the US letters in front of the hammer.

Not sure what you might have found, though, seeing as the sight is different. Is your example a smooth-bore, perhaps? I've seen replicas of the Springfield with simple sights for smooth-bore shooting - in fact, there's one in our LGS.

I've fired the real thing, and it was VERY comfortable to shoot from standing, on account of the marked drop to the heel of the stock, but then, it was made for standing shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    The so-called Zouave rifled musket was produced by Remington Arms company at Ilion, New York, by contract with the US Government. It was intended for the US Artillery Department and never distributed to any Civil War army division. The good looks and fine features of the gun were discovered by shooters and collectors during the Civil War centennial and it was highly sought-after. The most common replica is made by Pedersoli - 1863 Zouave - and features brass furniture, the distinctive ramrod with the tulip tip and the three leaf rear sight. There are two sling swivels, one fits under the front band and the other one fit in front of the trigger guard. The lock shows the Eagle stamp and the US letters in front of the hammer.

Not sure what you might have found, though, seeing as the sight is different. Is your example a smooth-bore, perhaps? I've seen replicas of the Springfield with simple sights for smooth-bore shooting - in fact, there's one in our LGS.

I've fired the real thing, and it was VERY comfortable to shoot from standing, on account of the marked drop to the heel of the stock, but then, it was made for standing shooting.
    Thank you for that information. The one on free ads (here is a link: https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...w#.XdQo4Oj7QuU) has had some work done on the wood work, and I can faintly see a eagle on the lock but that is it. If the link does not work simply go to free ads and search for springfield and it will come up. Looks like a nice piece (Though with the engraving I guess the collective value is diminished) but the rear sight is just puzzling to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Thank you for that information. The one on free ads (here is a link: https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...w#.XdQo4Oj7QuU) has had some work done on the wood work, and I can faintly see a eagle on the lock but that is it. If the link does not work simply go to free ads and search for springfield and it will come up. Looks like a nice piece (Though with the engraving I guess the collective value is diminished) but the rear sight is just puzzling to me.
    The ad SHOULD saw if it's a smoothbore or a rifle - as you know, the law treats them quite differently.

I would be wary of the Zouave with a "V" sight and look into it before purchasing it.

Is it possible that the lock and stock are off a Zouave and a barrel has been substituted because it fits?

The Zouave is the French equivalent of our .577" Enfield and was designed for long range shooting. I have not heard of them being produced as a smoothbore, which the one you are looking at may be with a fixed sight.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post
    I would be wary of the Zouave with a "V" sight and look into it before purchasing it.

Is it possible that the lock and stock are off a Zouave and a barrel has been substituted because it fits?

The Zouave is the French equivalent of our .577" Enfield and was designed for long range shooting. I have not heard of them being produced as a smoothbore, which the one you are looking at may be with a fixed sight.
    Armisport produce[d] both the Springfield and the Zouave three-banders as smoothbores, the former as a carbine. Our LGS had one of each and still has the Springfeld.

Armisport produce[d] both the Springfield and the Zouave three-banders as smoothbores, the former as a carbine. Our LGS had one of each and still has the Springfeld.
    I did find some repros that were listed as smoothbore, but as the seller in this ad is selling his "Rifle" as a Section 58 obsolete calibre gun I assume that the originals were all rifled?

So could this rifle/musket be a repro? And the seller has not realised or is mistaken? I have never seen one of the Armisport reproductions but the one for sale has no markings on the lock (from what I can see) apart from an eagle. Are the reproductions like this as well?

I was thinking of buying it but now I will give it a miss, I did not mind the aftermarket carving of the wood work but that rear sight just puts me off. (Also if it turns out to be a repro, then I cannot legally buy it anyway since I do not have the appropriate licence)

I also found a reproduction for sale here: http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/li...l?review=write

This one has a similar style of lock markings (No writing, just a large Eagle)

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    I did find some repros that were listed as smoothbore, but as the seller in this ad is selling his "Rifle" as a Section 58 obsolete calibre gun I assume that the originals were all rifled?

So could this rifle/musket be a repro? And the seller has not realised or is mistaken? I have never seen one of the Armisport reproductions but the one for sale has no markings on the lock (from what I can see) apart from an eagle. Are the reproductions like this as well?

I was thinking of buying it but now I will give it a miss, I did not mind the aftermarket carving of the wood work but that rear sight just puts me off. (Also if it turns out to be a repro, then I cannot legally buy it anyway since I do not have the appropriate licence)

I also found a reproduction for sale here: http://www.deactivated-guns.co.uk/li...l?review=write

This one has a similar style of lock markings (No writing, just a large Eagle)
    Given that the oirginals were all rifled, it may well be that this is a replica that has been de-farbed, that is to say, all modern traces of manufacturing removed. This is, however, illegal in this country, I understand, although it is commonplace in the USA in the interests of HC. The eagle is a standard lock stamp for US government-issue arms of the period. If it is a repro you CAN still buy it as a Section 2 Firearm - a shotgun, but obviously only if you have the necessary authorisation.

If THIS - https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...w#.XdU4b1f7R3h - is it, then run away. It looks like an Indian-made smoothbore of modern manufacture that has been futzed around to make it look fancy. It is nothing like any Zouave replication I have ever seen and is, TBH, not even worth hanging on the wall. It might, in fact, be a non-firer, too, since he is selling it with no mention of the necessity to have a SGC.

The REAL Zouave is a fine-looking rifle and the example I get to shoot in the USA is equally as good as any Springfield.
    Last edited by tacfoley; 20-11-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by enfield2band View Post

Good post.

Given that the oirginals were all rifled, it may well be that this is a replica that has been de-farbed, that is to say, all modern traces of manufacturing removed. This is, however, illegal in this country, I understand, although it is commonplace in the USA in the interests of HC. The eagle is a standard lock stamp for US government-issue arms of the period. If it is a repro you CAN still buy it as a Section 2 Firearm - a shotgun, but obviously only if you have the necessary authorisation.

If THIS - https://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/buy-sel...w#.XdU4b1f7R3h - is it, then run away. It looks like an Indian-made smoothbore of modern manufacture that has been futzed around to make it look fancy. It is nothing like any Zouave replication I have ever seen and is, TBH, not even worth hanging on the wall. It might, in fact, be a non-firer, too, since he is selling it with no mention of the necessity to have a SGC.

The REAL Zouave is a fine-looking rifle and the example I get to shoot in the USA is equally as good as any Springfield.
    Aye that is the one, Looks like it is one to miss.

Don’t touch it

Don’t touch it as I feel seller is Over Egging the pudding, Deffo a copy of some description,Front brass work looks like it’s from a French Dragoon Musket. And the carving is Hideous
    I bought a 3 band Off him and it turned out not to be what he said it was.
    I have since worked on it and turned what was a poor example into a decent shooting example.albeit after a lot of work.
    If you are Tempted See it in person
    Last edited by series2a; 26-11-2019 at 10:26 AM.