Thread: Unknown British percussion shotgun

Unknown British percussion shotgun

Came across this old British muzzle loading shotgun the other day, No makers marks but there are some proofs on the barrels and inside of the locks. The proof on the barrels are Birmingham proof marks but I have no idea what the mark on the locks mean. There is either no makers markings or they have warn off and to top it off someone in the past has done a piss poor attempt at refinishing the barrels. I mean it just looks, excuse my language, shit. Here are some images:

https://imgur.com/a/fkcvIMa

Anyone have an idea of age (My guess would be 1840s?) and what that marking on the inside of the locks means?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Huttles94 View Post
    Came across this old British muzzle loading shotgun the other day, No makers marks but there are some proofs on the barrels and inside of the locks. The proof on the barrels are Birmingham proof marks but I have no idea what the mark on the locks mean. There is either no makers markings or they have warn off and to top it off someone in the past has done a piss poor attempt at refinishing the barrels. I mean it just looks, excuse my language, shit. Here are some images:

https://imgur.com/a/fkcvIMa

Anyone have an idea of age (My guess would be 1840s?) and what that marking on the inside of the locks means?

Cheers
    You are smack on the money with the date of 1840 +5/10 years - that is when the back-action locks you have came into style from the continent. The proofs are also correct - Birmingham. The crown over G is one of those disputed marks that is seen on guns between 1854 and 1868, but it is definitely a Birmingham mark.

The 'refinishing' has served to remove all details of calibre and even if there was any degree of choke, plus a view mark, faint traces of which can be seen on one barrel, but not both. The gun, as such, is NOT shootable, nor sellable as a shooting gun.

Sorry I can't offer you any more.